ESP MK2 Paragon?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Yes....my mate just bought 2 and one of them snapped like a carrot when I put a bend in it. I hope it was just a wrong un but not half as much as he does ! Shop replaced it without quibble but its put a nagging doubt in his mind.

Last edited:

bub81

Reaction score
ESP Paragon Review. Just bought one (2.75lb)...

Had a good play with it in the shop first. There seemed to be more give in it's (2.75lb) tip than in the Fox Warrior S 2.5lb and Korum 2.5lb tips. This is what I was after as I wanted a carp rod to occasionally use when float fishing for 20lb+ carp next to or even in, snags. Ordinarily I use a greys prodigy 1.75lb barbel, but tend to lose the big'uns if snags force me to clamp down as soon as they are hooked. The Barbel rod tends to be exhausted in this situation so with little cushioning, they tend to shake off.

Hence this purchase - I needed something 12ft that could occasionally be used with a float, but with bags of cushioning through into the butt. Finances meant it also had to be a proper carp rod capable of chucking PVA bags and landing pretty much any UK carp in clear water.

Having got the rod home and played some garden furniture, I think I made the right choice. Infact, surprisingly I wasn't even able to exhaust the rod's bend (I'm quite light). There is bags and bags of power reserve, despite the relatively soft tip and through action. It's a really springy rod too, so should keep the pressure on if the fish shakes it's heads. It really is a tough 'thru' rod, although I should probably point out that I have never before used a rod with a greater tc than 2lb.

It was very fractionally heavier than the extremely slim £50 Korum 2.5lb. Did not compare weight to any others, but the Korum was extremely light, so this is still a very light rod.

All I would say is that the finish quality isn't quite as excellent as my Greys Prodigy Barbel rod, but that's not important and it was perfectly acceptable. It comes with padded socks rather than a bag.

I am assuming this rod would not be a brilliant distance caster, although having said that it really is so springy despite being a thru action, it might be fine.

Just to reiterate, when I said the tip is 'relatively' soft - it is by no means an ideal rod for carp float fishing, just the best of an over-gunned, over-weight class of rod when putting a float amongst lillies with a 25lb'er lurking. If I were richer I would have bought a carp-floater rod and a carp rod.

UPDATE (23/05/12): Used the rod yesterday for the first time. Took three (out of three) carp off the surface in a very snaggy corner. 2x13lb, 1x9lb. Rod was brilliant. the 9lb was only just hooked on the edge of the top lip, but despite a fierce scrap I landed it. The rod is SO smooth playing fish, it was a joy, after the tense shakey scraps on the barbel rod that keep me stressing. With the first 13lber there was such a bend in the rod I worried it was 'maxed -out', but when I really had to brutally stop a lunge for the tree the fish came to a quick smooth and effortless halt. Brilliant rod. The big power is well down the rod, so dont panic if it feels soft. Lost one fish after two seconds when float fishing. May have been a tench, tho and I did strike very late. I may have exaggerated on how light the rod is, but it's certainly not too heavy. Will update again if I get a 20lb+ as that will be very telling.

Malc

Last edited: