My Approach to Winter Carping

John Southgate

Reaction score
great, look forward to the results! It's a hard task but someone's got to do it eh?!!

T

The Monk, Joined 2002

good approach Dave, nice article as usual mate, my approach is to get the fire going, slippers on, brew on and get into a good book on winter carping

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Dave when I started an article for Graham on the state of the Ribble I did a bit of reading re water temps and as all fish are cold blooded, then the efficiency of their digestive system decreases as the water temp drops. That was about as far as I got, I’m just assuming that different species can cope better or worse digestively at different water temps. Maybe some baits are easier to digest than others at lower water temps?

Dave not wanting to give too much away re water temps re my article, but do you take any records of water temps when carp fishing if so do you have any historical data?

C

~Cider Bob~

Im very much looking forward to seeing the results.

Ive been fishing a fishmeal summer bait alongside a "HNV" milk protien bait for a while now,and the fishmeal is winning hands down(at the moment).

Good luck!

T

The Monk, Joined 2002

John we used to do it in the 70s, but I know longer have the records, we took marginal water temperitures and also tied a thermonmitor, thjermonitar, thermim (you know what I mean) to a spare rod, bit it was difficult to get accurate readings using this method, we did find though that the water temps could be quite high under ice and caught a few carp from under ice in deeper lakes

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

OK another one for you carp lads. We maintain a body temp of 37C (98F) which I also assume is the optimum temp for the bacteria in our gut. It would be interesting to know what the optimum temp is for bacteria in a fishes gut. Has anyone done any research as to what is the optimum water temp is for carp growth? Oxygen must also play a part in this equation as well. As the water temp increase then oxygen levels decrease, somehow I feel that there must be an optimum water temp for each species of fish.

Do you carp lads target the deeper water, which is warmer in the winter when it starts to freeze in the margins?

I would certainly be interested to know if water temps can turn a fish on or off to a particular bait.

Dave it would be nice if you could record the water temp with the baits you try this winter?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Reuben Heaton Standard Thermometer

Our standard anglers thermometer can be used conventionaly as a hand held unit or at distance. For temperature readings at distance simply attach to the main line and cast out.
The shock resistant casing protects the thermometer inside, and also traps a sample of water to reduce temperature change on the retreive.

This is what I use for checking the temperature on the lake beds rather than the surface layers. I wouldn't risk it on the Ribble though John. The temperature can be warmer in the shallows even in the winter. But that is a stillwater not a river.

Good article again Frothy. The results will be interesting.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Dave

What more can we say than "thank you" - I've always wondered why it should be that fishmeals should stop working on lakes for carp when they continue to work on rivers for chub and barbel (which surely can't have<u> that </u>different a metabolic rate)

Looking forward to results - don't you dare touch those maggots!!

Tight lines

Jim

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Vert interesting Dave, I look forward to reading how your campaign develops. Successfully I hope.

T

The Monk, Joined 2002

Our standard anglers thermometer can be used conventionaly as a hand held unit or at distance. For temperature readings at distance simply attach to the main line and cast out.
The shock resistant casing protects the thermometer inside, and also traps a sample of water to reduce temperature change on the retreive.

like the idea of that Baz, of course margins will warm up much faster with a bit of warmer weather, generally I would head for the deeper water under ice, heat dissipation is unually reduced under ice

T

The Monk, Joined 2002

Ive always understood that fishmeals and oils release expectations change in chemical structure with temperiture drops in still water and ultimately emit less flavour, in a flowing water system the torbidity has an adverse effect

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You can obtain them from Fishingwarehouse if anybody is looking for one. It has a brass valve type weight in one end for letting the water in.

F

Frothey

Sorry for no replies - I was having my eardrums removed by the Foo Fighters last night /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

John - Sorry, no water temps - I guess I should, but you get more fluctuations on still water tahn moving - ie most of the water body in a relatively fast flowing river will be at the same temp whereas a foot or so's depth change can effect a change on a lake - so can fishing over sand/gravel in shallow water rather than silt, old weedbeds, etc etc. The only control I can do is to keep rotating which rod fishes which spot so I dont get fooled by a warmer/colder spot.

Maybe some baits are easier to digest than others at lower water temps?

so we are led to believe, but whether the fish know that (or whether it bothers them!) is another thing

Has anyone done any research as to what is the optimum water temp is for carp growth?

absolutely loads, I'll try and dig some of the results out - though the temp varied by upto 10dec C if i remember correctly, depending on the expert!

It would be interesting to know what the optimum temp is for bacteria in a fishes gut

Theres more than 1 type of bacteria, so they would all have there own little niches. You also need to consider enzyme action, which is something the Addit - Digest aims to help with.

I wasnt able to go last week (3rd week of campaign) due to missus' shifts, and possibly not this week - still sneaked some bait in and we've had a bit of a temp drop, so the next trip might be interesting.....

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Cheers Dave that’s great, I realizes temperatures vary a lot more on still waters than running, which makes me think if some anglers are having success with certain baits in the winter, then where they fish them may make one bait more successful than another?

Best of luck with your winter carp sessions I look forward to hearing how you get on.

F

Frothey

you might have a point, but what if a fish picks up a bait in one temp of water, and swims back to its "home" snag which is at another temp? does it like the bait because its attractive at the temp it picked it up, or are we crediting fish with the ability to know which bait they have picked up (out of the 6 or 7 different ones that day) is nutritious/digestable what if the water temp then dropped 2 deg? you'd be woprrying about if the baits still attractive/digestable andend up dissapearing up your own bum worrying about it!

Geoff Strutt

Reaction score
If you want tostudy carp keep a couple of goldfish in a pond.

if the fish are not feeding well inthe pond they will not be feeding wellin a lake

carpdo not feed well when cold they may mouth baits and get hooked.

If you want to kill fish in cold weather use indigestable feed containing fat and starch, nuts,dog food,meat,corn.OK as ahookbait

Bulk pellets designed for fishfarming are mutch safer as a feed

A good smell may stimulate interest, water soluble solutions will work better in cold.

In the cold fish will be where most comfortable same as us,and will move to a different position in different conditions, perfect example would be in a deep sheltered bay near the edge in the sun either side of the wind, quicker for you to find fish than them to find you.

I would use one rod and move rig often to find the spot, using a small bag of dry casters or pellets dampened with attractent eg ribena and coated with powder eg fivespice, with half a lobworm and a peice of yellow popup on a hair.

I am not a dedicated carp fisherman and am just as happy catching daceor shark if anyone wants to take me somewhere interesting im'e there, got time and money, based in north Surrey, fish anywhere.

The Monk

Reaction score
If you want tostudy carp keep a couple of goldfish in a pond.

if the fish are not feeding well inthe pond they will not be feeding wellin a lake

carpdo not feed well when cold they may mouth baits and get hooked.

I`ve found quite the opposite Geoff, I have 4 ponds in ther garden with carp and other sps in, waters varey according to a number of factors, depth, type size, weather conditions and actually fish, some waters produce well in the wintery months others simply die, no set rule on this, a roving rod and a static rods often work though

F

Frothey

If you want to kill fish in cold weather use indigestable feed containing fat and starch, nuts,dog food,meat,corn.

interesting. any evidence to back it up? and we arent talking about overstocked match type commercials.

The Monk

Reaction score
In the cold fish will be where most comfortable same as us,and will move to a different position in different conditions, perfect example would be in a deep sheltered bay near the edge in the sun either side of the wind, quicker for you to find fish than them to find you.

Yes you are quite right here Geoff, the first principle of fishing is first find your fish, there is a bit more too it that that of course, even in winter some fish will have set patrol routes and if you know your water and how it fishes under certain conditions and how the patrolling fish move, you can set up ambushes/bait traps,on set or antisipated patrol routes if the carp prove difficult to find. Generally snags are a good guide for winter and the deeper water, but this is only a guide of course and we have to be careful not to take anything for granted, the only experts and the carp of course, we certainly are not

Geoff Strutt

Reaction score
I am not a great fisherman, but have had experiance with fish,

what the Monk has said is dead right and factors such aswater circulation will alter things drastically.

As for frothey if you look anything like the picture even if your a bloke i will go fishing with you. but to be serious try keeping a fish in a tank feed it the wrong stuff, if it starts to come out the other end in long light streamers bad, short and dark good, if it has bubbles in it and starts floating up behind the fish very bad fish is liable to turn turtle with wind, ifnothing comes out at all and the fish stops feeding itis dead or soon will be, couple of fizzy tablets in the water may revive it.

Best thing to kill your fish with is egg yolk try it and see, remember this when making boilies, seperate them and use them in a cake, I will have a small slice.

As for Dave keep up the good work.