Hygiene on the bank!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just wondered how many of you guy's take hygiene seriously when fishing?
With the threat of Weils disease and other nasties do any of you really take care when eating your lunch, going for pee or picking stuff up of the bank?
There really is no excuse not to get hold of a bottle of hand gel or alcohol rub from Tesco (70p!) and use it, disease from rats can and does kill...Not a nice way to go!

Please take care

Thanks

carpkid

Reaction score
Always have a packet of hand wipes in my kit but never thought of the gel, might have to pick some up!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Although very rare in this country I do take the obvious precautions – antiseptic gel for hands before eating – a plaster on a cut, etc. You can catch leptospirosis by touching soil or water contaminated with the urine of animals, particularly rats, infected with the leptospira bacteria. As rats need to drink daily to survive, and it helps if we are close to water for our fishing, we are obviously going to share a similar area.
Jerry

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Always have a packet of hand wipes in my kit but never thought of the gel, might have to pick some up!

I even carry a tiny bottle in my coat pocket when I am on the train/bus, if you see some of the folk that travel in the Manchester area you would take precautions too!

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Absolutely Mark, been banging on about it for years as you can see here.

You said that one of the gels smells to feminine, but Jeff does it really matter as long as you are protected. I am picking fault with your article, I would not mind if it had the aroma of a lepers bum hole as long as it worked, you should smell the stuff they provide us with at work...Bloody Germans!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had Weils and can tell you it's no fun, I was in my 20's and fit as a butchers dog but still ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics after a six month illness and I've never really been well since.
As well as Weils though its also worth considering that every time you set up in a well worn swim you are setting up in a well used toilet, particularly if you fish the more remote areas, and people are lazy and think nothing if simply standing up and letting fly in the swim rather than take a few steps away from the swim.
Another tip I was given as a youngster was never pick wild fruit which grows below your waistline or in a gateway.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You said that one of the gels smells to feminine, but Jeff does it really matter as long as you are protected.
No, but all I was pointing out it that the alternative blue one didn't smell quite as strong. In fact, I don't know if Asda do both types any longer, but both are as effective.
You can catch leptospirosis by touching soil
I did read or was told that the most common way of catching lepto is by handling mud.

themyth

Reaction score
I even carry a tiny bottle in my coat pocket when I am on the train/bus, if you see some of the folk that travel in the Manchester area you would take precautions too!

O.C.D maybe?

you guys that use these alcohol rubbs...do you find you don't catch as many fish as you did before you used them?

barbelboi

Reaction score

O.C.D maybe?

you guys that use these alcohol rubbs...do you find you don't catch as many fish as you did before you used them?

No.
Jerry

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I reckoned people would want the lesser perfumed types, but I'm not sure it plays a big part. It was always reckoned to put fish of baits that had been handled by smokers, Ivan Marks would have been in dead trouble though in that case.

terry m

Reaction score
Cuts or open sores are high risk entry points for the leptospirosus bacteria.

The initial symptoms are flu like, and as has been documented, if not treated early it can be fatal.

Still waters are of course higher risk than running waters.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[/COLOR]
I carry a disinfectant (TCP) these days which actually atracts fish.

It does wonders for your Chalfonts as well Ron.

---------- Post added at 06:49 ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 ----------

Cuts or open sores are high risk entry points for the leptospirosus bacteria.

The initial symptoms are flu like, and as has been documented, if not treated early it can be fatal.

Still waters are of course higher risk than running waters.

I caught it after competing in a raft race on the Teme.

waggy

Reaction score
If I were a rodent I couldn't think of a better gaff than a commercial fishery.
I'd make sure that all those lovely maggots, bits of sausage, sweetcorn, bread, boilies, spam and so on left behind by considerate anglers didn't go to waste. After they'd all gone home for the day or tucked themselves up in their bivvies I'd squeak, 'Right rodents, lets party!'