fishing in india

gerry h

Reaction score
Help, has anyone got any info on fishing in india ,delhi area

C

Cider Bob(G.B's)

I havnt got any info on the fishing but I have been to Delhi.

Let me tell you this,if you havnt been before,prepare to be psychologically bombarded.

This place is mind blowing,you can see one thing one minute that makes you stand back in amazement and then see something that will make you want to puke.

I was last there over 10 years ago and i still havnt recovered. Good luck!

Andy M

Reaction score
No specific knowledge but I would be very surprised if there is any angling to be had close to Delhi, most waterways are heavily polluted. Head for the highlands!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

One of our members and a good friend Ric Elwin is over there on a fishing expodition at the moment after mahseer. There are a couple of e-mails from him on here somewhere. Haven't heard from him for a while though. Hope the crocs haven't got him.

Type in Mahseer on the search engine. You will find Ric and others on there.

Reaction score
Hi Gerry,

I'd try asking the guys on IndianAngler. It's run by my mate Bopanna and thereare loads of very enthusiastic and knowledgable Indian fishermenon board.

As Andy says I'd head for the hills (north towards Rishikesh/ Dehra Dun area...)

Good luck

gerry h

Reaction score
Thanks for the info chaps it all sounds very possitive, i,ve got the dioralite on order and 100 tins of beans

As for heading for the hills i my do that before igo there

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Gerry,
I run some trips to India and have an Indian friend in Delhi that makes arrangements for me.
There is no mahseer fishing in Delhi itself but an overnight train will put you in a very good area.
I can tailor trips to exactly what you want, both in terms of activities and how long you want to go for. Drop me a PM or e-mail gary_newman@ipcmedia.com and i can give you some more details. Just in the process of setting up a website, but that isn't online yet.
Don't expect to catch loads of big mahseer, all the fish you get you have to work hard for but they are worth it when you see one. I've just come back myself from a couple of weeks out there and am off again in 2.5 weeks on the Cauvery.
I wrote an article in my weekly column in Angler's Mail on my latest trip, not sure if you saw it.
With regards the food, i have never been ill out there from anything I've eaten, as long as you are sensible - i.e. don't buy stuff like meat samosas from street stalls - then you should have no problem.
Hope this helps.

Gary

gerry h

Reaction score
Cheers Gary ,i will get myself there 1st before i will look at the fishing to much ,as iam there on businessuntil xmas ,so i need to look at when i will be off work

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I have a mate in Delhi who could proibably sort out some fishing for you assuming he isn't booked up, so if you need a contact drop me an e-mail - don't want to post his details on a public forum.
You'll need to sort out licences to fish and hiring a ghillie would be a good idea to have a good chance of getting on some fish. This is a very good time of year for rivers such as the Ramganga - about an 8 hour overnight train journey from Delhi.
I'm off to India myself in two weeks - fishing on the Cauvery for 3 weeks.

gerry h

Reaction score
I would try to meet up with you and do some fishing up there ,but their is one little hurdle. kids, wife ,xmas .I would stay for a week longer if green tree time was'nt looming

cheers gary

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Good luck with the fishing if you get a chance to go. The Ramganga will definitely be your best bet from Delhi. Like i said before an overnight train will get you there and you rbest bet would probably be to stay in Corbett National Park which has some fishing - there are lots of other good stretches but you'll need a ghillie to show you where they are.

Gary

gerry h

Reaction score
****y, I have asked the question on indian angler WHAT A BUNCH OF STUCK UP ****s

I have always gone with the old angling code of helping others like all the other chaps on FMand not 'who are you'

FM THE BEST FISHING FORUM EVER

Reaction score
Hi Gerry,

Sorry you got such a negative response /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Bopanna et al were previously very helpful. No idea what has happened there.

Many apologies for the bum lead mate.

Southern India I can help with but Gary is ya man for the Himilayan foothills.

gerry h

Reaction score
eh its not your fault man thanks for your help,if ya passing throu dehli give me bell and we'll have a beer.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
****y,
Just over a week until i go now, can't wait to get back on the Cauvery, although apparantly it is very high still.
Are you back out there at all yourself this year or early next year?

Suprised by the response that Gerry got on Indian Angler as they've always been very helpful in the past whenever I've asked, Bopanna, Owen and Sandeep especially so.
Have posted a reply to Gerry on there recommending a few lures/spinners etc. The other thing he'll need to sort out is his fishing licence, which can be a pain to try and get if he hasn't got a local contact.

Gary

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

I'm still hoping to get back out there early next year Feb/ March (to the same place me and Steve were at in February), but money's going to be a bit tighter now that Midland Angler has folded /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Very jealous matey, have a great time. Let me know how you get on.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Hope you make it back out there, it is possible to do it reasonably cheaply and still have a good trip.
I do know of people who've tried to do it on a real budget - i.e. not hired a guide, etc - and haven't done very well at all though.
Worth considering getting a last minute package deal if you are flkexible about when you can go and then just using the flight, can be a good way of getting a cheap return flight.
If i can put any work your way I'll let you know. Drop me an e-mail letting me know what area of the country you usually cover.

gerry h

Reaction score
I duno are you 2tryin to hyjack my thread ! only jokein chaps ,good look over ere by god you need it !i have now got zero chance of fishing as the job has gone t++s up thnks to our indian friends only hope now is that i get back home for green tree time and a bit of winter snow fishing love it

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Gerry,

India is a magicalplace, but as ****ens said it can also simultaneously be 'the best of times and the worst of times.'

Hijack? No question buddy /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Look into the eyes, the eyes... don't look around the eyes...look into the eyes...

Gary, you have email (hopefully, let me know...new computer probsetc)