Mullet Man

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

It's a long time since I fished for mullet - bit too far from the nearest mullet swim. Must have another go soon though; terrific fish that really make the brain cells work overtime.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"terrific fish that really make the brain cells work overtime. "

That is Graham providing that you are not in a small boat for 8 hours; like Nigel and I were a few years back, . . . . . . . . with Ron!

That day was the 11th straight day Ron and I had fished together, and we had decided to go for Mullet in Christchurch harbour.

In the boat, all cast out, and within minutes Ron is into a fish that we all thought to be at least 5lbs, which after about 10 minutes shed the hook.

That was the last fish we saw that day until literally the last cast when I managed to fluke, according to Ron, (well I called it skilled angling at the time) a Mullet of about 3lbs.

What a day, but what hard fighting fish they are.

The Monk

Reaction score
I enjoy fishing for mullet, never fished for them in the UK though, but spent a lot of time in the med fishing for them, mainly in the canal systems in Northern Majorca, Can`t Picafort/Alcudia systems, lovely fishing fish and so many of them out there, dop mullet haver natural preditors?

The Monk

Reaction score
a nice article mate, actually i tell a lie, i have also caught them in the River Liffy, Eire, a different specie I think, soft lipped maybe?

C

Cakey

about three years ago I was catching fish in Bilbao which I was told were mullet if they were they were quite easy to catch but very hard fighting

E

EC

Graham your nearest mullet swims are about an hour away, just 5 minutes from Junction 1 M53.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Interesting tactics! Someone once said that a good roach angler usually has little trouble catching mullet; the ability to floatfish with finesse, feed regularly and handle light gear being a massive advantage. I probably see 50 times more mullet bites than the leger men who rely on self-hooking. I achieved a personal mullet goal this season catching one on the pole.

C

Cakey

I was catching them on floating crust around big boats ,they were feeding on the rubbish they dump !

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Same here Cakester, freelining bread, took me ages to hook one, the b**gers kept sucking the bread of the hook/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

I found a spanish bread that looked like a baggy and it had a nice doughy type crust that they couldnt suck off young Claudia

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Artificial bread?.......the sort sold in tackle shops?

Rickrod

Reaction score
Make sure you cover the hook completely crimp the edge of the bread like alittle pasty

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

No need to cover the hook with the artificial stuff.............but i haven't tried it so i don't know if it would fool em.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Peter,I am glad that day has obviously stayed in your memory.I go for much shorter sessions now you will be glad to hear and from the shore.

Most of my mulleting is done in Christchurch Harbour fishing the float with a pin.Andy N, Mark Hewitt andI had a couple of sessions this year and Andy and I had a fish each.I'd be glad to show anyone the ropes next summer althoughI am no expert.They are very enigmnatic in when they show in the harbour though so success could not be garaunteed.

They really are a worthy adversary and far from uncatchable.Most coarse anglers have the necessary tackle in a stepped up/carp float rod and they are more widespread than you might believe.Its simply that no-one fishes for them.

Anyone really interested should join The NMC(National Mullet Club) who welcome beginners and provide a lot of good written material on joining -

National Mullet Club

Mark , what you say about legering is interesting.One of the Mullet Club guys took two 8lbers from the harbour in succesive casts this autumn on the lead and it seems from looking at the records that the larger late season fish tend to fall for legered baits.I also met a couple of guys down there who outfished me using, wait for it - a method feeder and baitrunners.

Nice article Kevin.Have you read Des Brennans book on Mullet in the Osprey Angler series as much of his fishing is done in South East and South West Ireland?

Rickrod

Reaction score
Nigel me and my mate have been catching, useing bolt rigs 1oz leads size 8s about 2foot from the lead on a 3inch hook length Don't miss many bites and ball mashed bread over the top not for the purist i know but it works for me

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Plenty of mullet inLiverpool and Birkenhead docks

alan

Reaction score
im going to get shot, but...

Cakey, mullet has a bad rep with being eaten, most people says its muddy and not very nice. i disagree, Mullet is a lovely fish to eat. it has a nice strong "fishy" taste that goes wonderfully baked in cheese sauce with sprinkled chedder and buried under a layer of mash.

rest assured i only take the occasinal fish, only what i will eat the next day(i wont keep and freeze) and only the "right size" fish, normally about 4lb. bigger is to much and i wont waste them, smaller and there's not enough meat on them.

my fav tactic is to feed a very sloopy bread ground bait with a few bits of crust thrown in, and to freeline the bread. no good for open water but under piers and near boats it works a treat. i also find that most boat owners then dont get p**sed at having weights thrown near their boats.

fake bread works as well (last minute ran out of bread thing)