Angling Trust Calls for Restrictions as Drought Spreads

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sawa caouple of places on Friday and Saturday where the usual car wash outside DIY stores was still going on. Seems crazy that home owners can't wash their cars with a hose, but business can. If those home owners go to the business and pay the tenner, where's the saving in water? I know that jobs depend on it, but.....

Also, I saw something on TV where it said that to wash a car with a hosepipe costs nearly 600 litres of water. What utter cobblers! You can do it with 40 if you're carefull.

All in all, I support the current hosepipe bans.

Saw Mark on TV this morning - good presentation. He didn't just talk about fish and angling but also reflected on the loss of invertebrate life too and the birds that will migrate here and feed on them. Well done Mark, Angling Trust is moving forward.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Saw Mark on TV this morning - good presentation. He didn't just talk about fish and angling but also reflected on the loss of invertebrate life too and the birds that will migrate here and feed on them. Well done Mark, Angling Trust is moving forward.

Yes. The Dorset Stour looks a much-diminished thing in the BBC News feature - BBC News - River runs dry as drought takes toll

Please don't let anyone start saying "Drought over ... it was all a media scare, mate" when it wees down tomorrow and for a few days this week: the rain that's coming will merely wet the surface, grow spring leaves, grass, weeds and crops, not get down to the places where rivers start.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
all very good, and all overdue for a holistic response, well done ATr,
two things leapt out to me, and as per normal they'll have no resonance with anyone else, but here goes anyway
why is the building of new reservoirs/new assets number one and fixing leaks number two, and the removal of penalties for introducing hose pipe bans, tacked on at the end
is the order that they are listed, an order of priority

robthomo

Reaction score
Why all this fuss now when we all know that this goes way back, having fished the Soar for 30 odd years I can say without a doubt that last summer it was at its lowest I've ever known, river bed visible that quite possibly has never been seen by anyone in living history! So why wasn't a drought announced last year? Why no hosepipe bans?

The business thing is a tricky one, I wouldn't want to see anyone going bust becuase an essential business commodity was withdrawn from them but if we take into account how many car washes there are in the country thats a hell of a lot of water going down the drain, I was thinking about golf courses in a similiar light yesterday, but then again the politicians don't **** on their own playground do they...

little oik

Reaction score
I managed to catch a little of the Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2 last week. They had a guy who was a window cleaner on .He was saying he could be fined if he filled his containers in his van by hosepipe.However if he was at a clients house he could, and also was allowed to use a jet wash there as well but not at his own house .Madness

Still got to wait till this afternoon to see what madness they are going to bring in over here with the water meter saga. Should be interesting as like myself there are quite a few households that run on their own well (upkeep ,quality, and running costs not including the cost of the thing in first place paid for by the individual household ) Group water schemes bought and paid for by raisinfg funds in the community in some cases as well .

They are saying that all residences will need one fitted at a cost of 40 yo yos a year Rental etc .Funny that you can buy the same thing off the internet for about 80 yo yos .

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
In an effort to convey our concerns about the problems our rivers face with excessive abstraction, I have launched a single-issue e-petition. If we get 10,000 signatories, it will get into the Prime Minister's hands.

Please sign it. You can find it HERE