Barbel Fishing – The Pope’s River Diary: March 2012

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve sent his diary through on time at the end of the month - as he always does - we have to juggle a number of different diarists and spread them throughout the month to give consistent coverage so he was not late!

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Steve,

I think you have a very blinkered view when you say that barbel anglers have never had it so good...in a way that everything is ok and there is no problems with rivers?

Is that because you only target double figure/specimen barbel?

And i think one or two of your young stars of future barbeldom stand on slightly dodgy ground?.....

Interesting though, makes you think a bit about what it is to be an angler nowadays

Cheers
Jason

the wise one

Reaction score
Another enjoyable read Steve, thanks.

One or two names I recognise in your list, but also plenty I don't.
I look forward to finding out more about those names I'm not so familiar with.

T.W.O

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Fred and T.W.O,

Many thanks for your kind words.

Jason,

picking up on the points you raised, I don't always target double figure fish but I like to know I'm in with a reasonable chance unless I'm fishing somewhere like the Wye.
I 've just finished an article for a monthly magazine where I expand my thoughts on why I'm not a barbel pessimist.
We all know about the problems our rivers face, they are the subject of constant discussion, I like to promote the positive aspects as well.

We should have lots of opportunity to go into great detail when we meet up on the Wye!

All the best.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Steve

The last few years have taught me alot with the way things will possibly go with smaller rivers in particular. the only saving grace is the implementing of the water framework directive(how many anglers know about that?) It's too late for Oxforshires barbel population i think but other areas such as kennet/loddon and southern rivers could improve as long as the water keeps flowing through them.

Perhaps there is too many barbel around nowadays? have they spoilt the likes of the teme, wye, lugg, W/avon and severn? Is the trent way too easy?should an angler become a name simply for the fact they use blogs/forums to self promote/manipulate...and then be taken up by a tackle company simply for the fact they will have there products exposed for free?

I'm a realistic person i think Steve....used to be an optimist, never a pessimist though...just like to know the facts and the truth around things, whether that's life or fishing

Cheers
Jason

the wise one

Reaction score
Jasonbean1. Would you care to name and shame those anglers in steves laters list that you feel are standing on slightly dodgy ground, and the reasons why?

Sounds like a touch of the green eyed monster to me.:rolleyes:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I wouldnt be so daft as to name the people as we both know that would lead to petty arguments, at the end of the day it is my personel view on an article on a forum so i'm entitled to say it.

what i'm really questioning is not the actual people but Steves judgement in picking them as i think single species anglers particularly those in the profession have a very weird outlook on things...bob roberts being another one who i disagree with a lot of what he says.

The only difference being Steve takes things/critism calmly and Bob....well he'll just have you over in his blog...:D

And to add to it i pressume that the green eyed monster bit hints of me being jealous?...truth is i would love nothing more than to catch bigger fish than i have already, do i seek respect or fame...no, do i want to make money from angling no, i'm perhaps a little bitter nowadays due to living and fishing in oxford and seeing rivers and clubs decline, i've done me best to understand the reasons fo this and try in my own little way to reverse the decline....makes you think alot about what angling is about living around my way

so to hint at jealousy you would be way off the mark, like i said in my previous post i'm a realist and my thoughts are modern angling celebrities just dont do it for me...in some ways they do harm because newcomers and youngsters follow the path from some of the most misinformed self interested, fame seeking and catch at all cost anglers

cheers
Jason

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Steve is a clever writer.
If you don't concentrate on the individual parts, but give yourself an overview of the whole, you will see it's a more meaningful read.

A common occurrence in today's instant expert/ critic, is that they only see what they want to see, and disregard the rest!

The value of Steve's articles is in the sum of the parts, or am I reading more into them than I need to ? ;)

the wise one

Reaction score
Dam> there goes my plan of starting barbel wars 36 (or what ever number we are up to now).

A very calm and measured post, with dare I say it, a hint of resignation about it.
I remember a similar situation with uk sea fishing probably 20 years ago, and yet most species seem to be holding their own, and some even thriving. Maybe all isn't lost, afterall nature is very resilient.

Its also a good job there are many more fish than just barbel around in uk rivers.

T.W.O

jasonbean1

Reaction score
no doubt there will be more barbel wars...thats for certain!

what gets to me though is the damage of fragmentation in angling, it seems barbel anglers...particularly in the internet world seem to make it self implode.... Why thats the most obvious question?....personalities clashing, need for control, difference of opinions...many reasons out there...sadly i think they forget about what barbel are all about (self riteous comment that is:)), but in relation to Steves article as a whole which Fred points out is very well written(i have to agree), perhaps i have picked bits out to pick on.....

Me i'm just an humble observer and reader of what goes on, I would like to see more promotion of what it means to be part of say the BS, ABF or BC....I know it's just fishing! but the likes of Steve probably dont realise how much sway they have with the future of anglers opinions of the current/future state of rivers...it's not all rosey out there Steve!

At the end of the day i think the likes of the BS need to get a grip of and promote there responsibilities more than ever...it dissapointed me that the BS took so long to join the Angling Trust, glad they have though....at the end of the day that's where our future of angling lies in how successful the Angling Trust will be.

Brains hurting and all that...doesnt take much thinking for me to get a bit tired!

Cheers
Jason

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
A very good read.

Know quite a few of the "young guns" though lot of them seem nearly as old as me........(smiley face)

the wise one

Reaction score
I think one of the problems is, and I hope Steve doesn't shoot me down for this, but the bs is really, in reality, such a small part of barbel fishing.

There are hundreds if not thousands of barbel anglers that go out for the odd trip, that have probably never heard of the bs, and to be honest, that's no bad thing. It's certainly not for everyone, in fact I'd say it's more for the fanatical fraturnaty within barbel fishing.

T.W.O

bennygesserit

Reaction score
please no not another barbel war - seriously

Kids Just say no to Barbel threads.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's certainly not for everyone, in fact I'd say it's more for the fanatical fraturnaty within barbel fishing.

Probably right in the first part, but definitely wrong in the second.

cg74

Reaction score
But Fred it's T.W.O opinion; so it can't be wrong.......

.... Hmmm, now where did I read that.....? (enter a big cheesy grin)

As for Steve's (make me a) celeb list; I'm glad I wasn't having a coffee when reading it... But I must admit to being a little surprised that the likes of Pete Marshall were not included, as I'd say his work (along with others) on helping establish the Severn Rivers Trust and work like encouraging positive weed growth on the Teme.

Pete's geography may be poor (accusing me of being a cockney) but his work to improve the rivers in the Severn system is all for the greater good.
Yes, he, like many others doing similar things on their local rivers, tend to shun direct publicity of themselves, so many never really know the true extent of their selfless but this list isn't about who we see as names within the barbel scene; it's who Steve sees as 'names.'

Steve, a good read, as ever. Next month I expect to see a Murray cod in your clutches, the river is only just around the corner.