Small Shimano baitrunner

Shine

Reaction score
I've been told that the 5010GT is a good small baitrunner. Can anyone tell me please what other Shimano baitrunners are small?

Its for float fishing and feeder fishing for smaller carp.

Cheers.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Have a look at a shimano GTE B 5000

S

Sage

I have 4010's and 5010's. both are still good reels although not as smooth as the XTEA's.

I use the 4010's on my avon rods for small carp. they are getting rare, but you can still pick them up on ebay.

W

Wolfman Woody

They've stop making the 3500 and the 4000 sizes although I can't think why. Daiwa's little model is selling by the bundle.

I picked up an old 3500 the other week for £10, it didn't have any spool (some swine had nicked it from the shop). Fortunately the spool of a 4000 fits perfectly and I had one going spare so I got me a new (well 2nd user, but in brill condition) reel for just a tenner.

And the tenner was one I found in the back pocket of a pair of trousers I hadn't worn for a year or more, so in theory, I got the reel for nowt.

Wheyhey!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Only problem is, I'll have to buy a new pair of trousers now as those seem to have shrunk somewhat.

Damn that wife for washing them in hot water.

TheNomadicOne

Reaction score
Have a look on Ebay for Triton SeaSpin 3500X's. They go for nothing over there and are superb little reels. These are over 20 years old but are out living even todays reels, & they also have superb drags.

C

Cakey

have a look at the shimano fightndrag reels .....superb for what you want and small !

K

keith buckley

why shimano? there are laods of equally good reels, at half the price, on the market today.

Shine

Reaction score
Its just a matter of taste. I swear by shimano baitrunner reels. Other people will say other makes are best. Its what I prefer after trying many reels.

C

Cakey

Shimano are the best, their gears go on for ever ,the after sales servics is second to none and in my opinion reels at half the price are sh*t and not man enough for the job !

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

Can't agree more Cakey, I've had a pair of 8010GT's for about 12 years, I've never taken them apart to clean or service them and believe me they've landed literally tons of fish. The bail arm locked up on one earlier this year, they were both sent off for repair/service. They were returned to me in 4 days with the old parts that were replaced and the total cost for 1 X repair and 2 X services and return postage was £30. They still run as sweet as a nut so I'll be using them for another 10 + years!!!!!

K

keith buckley

the origional shimanos were the best, no argument, but since they are now made in malaysia and not japan I reckon the quality has gone downhill. All my bait runners are 8010s and they are brilliant but I have a coupleof super 4000 GT RAs which are nothing like as good. For float fishing I have found an okuma epix pro to be as least as good and I get less line twist with it. However i still can't work out why you need a bait runner for float fishing.

C

Cakey

who said they wanted a bait runner for float fishing ?

and how you can compare okuma with shimano just beats me but thats life

I not going to say okuma are sh*t but the edge is still with shimano for me

I only own 4x LC's 4x10000's 7x6010's 2x5010 1x4000 so what do I know

the 4000 is one of the most boooooootiful reels Ive ever used and at 80 squids I am so impressed

K

keith buckley

sorry I thought the origional question was asking about a small shimano baitrunnerfor float fishing and light feeder fishing for small carp. One of us must have misread it.

I own a few shimanos myself, both the early and new models, and i still say that the new ones are not the same quality. All a matter of taste i suppose.

B

Bully

Why a baitrunner for float fishing and feeder fishing though? Ah, Keith, just noticed you asked same question.

Cakey - read the first post you nob!! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifPersonally I find the 5010 a bit too big feeder fishing, unless I am night fishing and in danger of nodding off, when I sometimes substitute. Wouldn't consider at all for float fishing, cant see any benefit.