Discontinued fishing tackle

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying the Shakespeare mach 3xt reel but I've been told the old mach 3 reel is just as good and will be marked down in price now a new model is out

so have anyone bought discontinued reels and do you have problems sourcing spares in needed

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
They've been knocking out the old Mach 3 for some while now Paul.The 3XT is a bit more robust & they've sorted out a few little niggles.The original was good...this one is better.

Spares is a bit of an issue I suppose but what spares do you ever actually need ? The odd spool I guess but this one comes with 3 anyway. Personally...by the time I start to think about spares for any of mine its time to buy a new reel. I've never yet worn one out.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I was thinking of spares for the old model

Skippy has a point, when was the last time you bought spares (other than spools) for a reel? I've not managed to knacker a reel in normal use, unless it was very cheap and nasty, in thirty years. Provided you don't buy junk, you're likely to find that you won't need spares until it's been out of production for so long that it hardly matters. As sad as it may be, you'd also probably find that the price of spares would render the repair of many reels, particularly budget reels, to be beyond economic viability.