using dry flies with a centre pin

chuckles

Reaction score
i am very new to centre pin fishing and have only used my new jw, young purist 11 twice and i have had great success with it and i never had eny problems getting an under arm cast with it and getting a good distance, i havent yet tried to Wallis cast with it yet but i will get some practice next outing, as i said i have used it twice and was using it for ledgering, the first time i got a sea trout and a rainbow not big both about one pound in weight but was really a great pleasurable feeling playing them on a centre pin with a good flow in the river and also gave me the feel of what it was like using the pin, my next trip i was worming for salmon and got one on my fourth cast this was even better a lovely red cock fish eight pounds in weight, i returned all the fish alive back into the system, however while watching my line swinging round with the flow i am using (Berkley's firefly braid) i got to thinking wouldn't this be a great way to fish a dry fly I havent got round to trying as yet but would be very keen to know if enyone uses their centre pin for dry fly fishing or is it no good for it at all. please let me read your views, thank you.
Edit Message Send to friend

The Monk

Reaction score
Fly fishing reels are essentially centre pin reels of course, the idea of the fly reel and rod is that the design is to be able to cast an heavy line and throw a light fly a required distance, something which would not be possible using a convential line, if however you can get your fly out to a fish on conventinal tackle, then why not, although its usually shorter ranges and generally falls under the heading of dapping

keora

Reaction score
You could use a dry fly with a centre pin reel by adding a carp controller to the reel line, a yard or two above the fly. This would be fine if you are doing long slow drifts downstream. If you are fishing fast shallow water where you have to recast upstream every ten or fifteen seconds, then the splash of the controller may disturb the fish.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Or use a small bubble float.

Better to get a fly fishing friend to give you some lessons with a fly rod and then do the thing properly....