Swing tips

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how swing tips work? And what are the pros and cons?

G

Ged

Hi Claudia

They work in the same way as a quiver tip. They are attatched to the top eye and have a silicon rubber tube where the srew thread is attatched (to the eye) and the tip (which is the same as a quiver tip) is pushed into the other end.

Cats out feeder or weight and tighten up line to draw the tip upwards (being careful how I word this) but not to a straight position.

When you get a bite, the tip will be pulled upwards,orit will drop back.

hope this helps. use to use them a lot years ago untilquiver tips came popular.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Thanks Ged.....so let me see if I got it right, a swing tip is good to use on a stiffer rod when playing fish i.e. barbel, where a quiver tip might not be strong enough (depending on the tip you use?)

Does a swing tip interfear with the cast though? I can imagine do to the flexibility of the silicon rubber, it might not be too accurate ?

Paul C

Reaction score
Claudia

One of my fave methods when conditions suite. Have a look at my piece here:

Swingtips

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Thanks Paul, that has explained it to me/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif, sounds a very effective way of fishing, in the right condition, although I can imagine the casting with a swingtip requires a lot of practice/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Paul C

Reaction score
You would think so to look at it, but not really.

It's slightly more of a lob into the air than you can get away with using a quiver tip, but the main thing is having a smooth action and not whipping the rod forward.

It's easy enough for short distances of 30 yards even with no real experience of using one, just think more about casting it upwards rather than outwards and it shouldn't beany problem.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Now another silly question/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif does your rod have to be compatible for a swing tips, or can you use it on a 'normal' rod ?

Paul C

Reaction score
It needs to be comptable and have an end eye that takes a screw brassfitting.

There aren't too many rods around these days, but I think the likes of the Drennan DRX stillwater feeder comes with a swing tip top in addition to a quiver top section.

One of the rods I have is an old avon rod that broke 2 inches from the end eye and I cut it back to within an inch of the second last eye. I nowjust push a swing tip rubber on the inch that extends beyond what is now the last eye and heypresto, it's a swintip rod instead of a rod fit for the dustbin....

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
clever idea/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif.......thanks a lot for the info Paul....I will certainly have a look around for a rod with a swing tip, as I would like to have a go fishing with one.

Maybe a second hand to start off with to see how it goes.

daren peers

Reaction score
i had 1 but i had trouble casting with it it was a good idea but justed couldnt cope with it i prefer quiver they more sensitive to knocks and the little gits that take the bait

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Personally I would say swing tip more sensitive than quiver and offers less resistance. I stand being corrected by those with more experience than me.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I agree with Richard. The swing tip is more sensitive than a quivertip. The John Wilson 11' Avon quiver has a screw end for a swing tip. You can usually pick them up cheap on e-bay. And I don't know why but an 11' rod is much more controlable than a 12' rod.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Dennis White used to swear that his collapsable sprung quiver tip was more sensitive than a swing tip!, the quiver tip had a sprung section in it which used to give less resistance as it was pulled round, he reckond it was the biz for spotting Roach bites.

My swingtips are great though, I took off the end eyes and use them for cleaning out the tips of me poles.

daren peers

Reaction score
ok got to word this right, im going to give swinging another go (swing tip fishing) but have sold mine and cant find any cheap on ebay. can some1 point me in the right direction for a cheap one please as im inbetween jobs and theenemy will kill me if i spend to much.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

How about attatching a swing tip eye to the end of an old match rod or something similar?

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

What Baz said.... two minutes work with a matchstick flame and off with the old rod tip eye, two mins work to stick new rod tip eye with quiver / swing tip threaded type hole on the end.

ThoughI wouldn't recommend doing it on a match rod, you need something not too long - 10 feet or so is ideal - and with a reasonably robust tip, both to handle the weight of bunging out ledger tackle and also to give a stable base from which the swing tip works - nothing worse than the rod itself sagging between rod rests and a too fine tip end flapping about in the wind and under any current. You want all other movement isolated so as to allow the swingtip to do its job. Nothing but a float is more sensitive, but its definitely a still / slow moving water and low wind conditions technique.... and it can be unbeatable on its day. Accounted for my pb roach using one....

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

My John Wilson Avon has a screwed end eye andI fitted one to an old ledger rod. When I fish in the margins on still waters and on the canal, which I haven't done for a while, 90% of the time it's with a swing tip. I believe they are more sensitive than the quiver. If it's a wee bit choppy then just sink the end of the swing tip an inch or so below the surface. Another sensitive indicator is the sidewinder that attaches to your rod and can be retro fitted with out dismantling your ledger set up.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Just reread your article again Paul, yes I remember everyone using swing tips on the river Lune bream fishing. Do you remember the marker boards? At night, I use to use my caving carbide headlamp to shine on the marker board. Then later on when I had a wee bit more money I bought a Tilley Lamp. No fancy fishing chairs either it was a cheap aluminium garden chair, blue and white strips one hell of a step up from sitting on a box all night.

B

Bill Cox

ahh the sidewinder! now your talking. What a simple idea and yet like all the best ideas its extremely effective. have used both quiver and swing tip for many years but now almost always use my sidewinder.