how do you fish the method feeder in the recent conditions

nicky

Reaction score
I have been fishing my local recently with varying success.
It is a fairly large lake stocked with plenty of carp.
In warmer weather i normally pick a spot i fancy and cast every 10 mins, slowing to 15 if its slow and keep to this spot for at least a few hours and if nothing happens i think about recasting to a different spot as maybe there arent many fish in front of me.

But recently with this cold weather i just cant decide what to do for the best the carp are feeding but not heavily it seems, and i cant decide weather to stick to my normal tactics or weather to cast and leave it for like an hour at a time, or weather to cast every 20mins to different spots around the lake untill i get a bite then concentrate on that spot.

How are you guys playing it with this weather.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If they are not getting their heads down try a straight lead.
No point in chucking a pile of bait out when they are not really having it.
Try it with a small bait and chuck it round the lake, have a look for them.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Five minutes mate, if there are fish there they'll have it.
Look for liners as well. If you get liners come a bit shorter. No liners go further out. they tend to shoal up a bit in colder weather, always worth a look in the margins too.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As Peter says if you're not catching ,changing your method (no pun intended) is a sound idea. I've been getting most of my carp either on zigs or up in the water on a float/long hook length looking for the thermal layers ( with a mobile approach) . Very few fish have been coming out (apart from slimeballs) solid on the deck.
Jerry
PS I'm spending more time looking for the fish than fishing - once you've found them the response can be very quick and one rod is all you need.

nicky

Reaction score
i did catch five the other evening but like you said i spotted them topping and cast to them but at times the water has seemed dead no movement whatsoever which has made it difficult to locate the fish