Regional Angling Magazines

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The Regional Angling Magazines (RAM) that include Southern, Midland and Northern Angler have suspended publication from the December issues due to lack of investment that was needed to enable them to continue.

These magazines were praised for their lack of advertising.

Bear this in mind the next time you complain about adverts in magazines and websites.

In a recent discussion on this forum about angling publications some said that regionalisation was the way to go.

Maybe it is, but you still have to sell enough copies and make enough profit to stay in business.

Deanos

Reaction score
So does "suspended" mean that these publications will not appear on the shelves ever again Graham?

If so this is a great shame as it is nice to see local names and hear about local venues.

Also, we don't all complain about adverts, I personally don't mind them (except the ones which pop up in your face when browsing).

As a fella in the know.....when the A.T had the adverts up for the sex chat lines etc, was this because the actual no of advertisers in the angling World is not that great, and (just as FM do)advertising from "out side" has to be sourced to actually survive.

Reaction score
It's a very sad situation,

As someone who grew up reading it, and lately made a living writing for it, I'm gutted.

We have lost an angling institution /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Chris Owen 2

Reaction score
Sad news indeed, i was a big fan of Midland Angler and im sure it will be sorely missed by many.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

'Suspended' means it will cease publication until such time as an investor is found or the search for one isabandoned.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

I might have bought it if I'd ever heard of it.... never seen it on a shelf anywhere and knew nowt about it. If I'm representative of the interested but ignorant then its not exactly surprising its gone belly up.....

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The problem with small publishers is that they haven't got the clout, financial or otherwise, to get on the shelves of the top high street stores such as Smiths. Much of the timesales figures are not representative of publication quality, but availability.

Reaction score
i just coudnt get hold of a copy i even ask my local paper shop to get hold of a copy and they coudnt it is a shame and i hope they do find a invester and maybe they could put a link on a website such as this so you could order it and have it posted to youre house if you think about it how many hits does fm get in a month ?

W

Wolfman Woody

It doesn't surprise me one bit.

I went in Smiths in Marlow last week, purposefully to buy some magazines for research and the only one I could find was Sea Angler.

Couldn't locate AT or AM and considering there are about 14 angling mags for coarse fishing alone, this is deplorable.

Is it Smith's policy not to stock them or is it the wholesalers? Oops, that could be Smith's again. Maybe it's just that anglers aren't buying mags like they used to and there are too many mags about. In the 60s it was no more than 3 perhaps plus the two weeklies, but now it's too diversified into different strands of the sport (maybe the fault of single species anglers, but I didn't say that.)

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Perhaps you should have tried the supermarket, for your research Jeff,with the two weeklies, our Tesco has 6/7 fishing mags/papers!.

It's a bit like saying, there are no fish in the pond,without fishing it first.

So much for research!

W

Wolfman Woody

It's not often I'm let out alone with money in my pocket though, Fred.

Asda was almost as bad with just IYCF and AM on sale. Might try Tesco if I'm ever down that way.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

A number of shops where I could once buy any number of angling mags , are now down to just one or two choices. Some have stopped altogether.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I can get all the angling mags around my way, it's just that no shop sells them all.

Some sell quite a few, but another will sell just a couple, but not what the other shop sell. Strange.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

My local Smiths sells them all except the regionals, so it looks like it's a decision made at local level.

Also, I'm led to believe that such as Smiths and the supermarkets charge for the space the magazines take up.

G

Gary Knowles

"Also, I'm led to believe that such as Smiths and the supermarkets charge for the space the magazines take up"

In advance tooI believe Graham

Paul Boyle 2

Reaction score
Hi all

Its just a thought,,,why didnt some of these mags go internet,im sure it would cut a few cost ect..forum for members ect..

paul

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Paul,

Thats the thing, most of them haven't bothered with the internet.

Dear Graham,

Market forces I'm afraid. If the capital isn't available for growth, and lets face it a lot of capital comes via a good sustainable product with a long term future in the market place, then growth will not occur.

I've also never heard of nor seen these publications before. But that is certainly no recomendation for an angling hard copy publication what so ever as I don't buy the stuff anyway.

Mind you, I can read the stuff on here till the cows come home as its fresh, honest, and very interesting. But of course, this is the internet. Good in'it.

Regards,

Lee.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just went into Asda and they had the NEW IYCF and Angler's Mail. I picked up a copy of both.

Waited 30 minutes at the checkout whilst this woman who was so slow, any slower and she'd have needed a mortician, and when she got to my mags, the IYCF wouldn't read. she tried it 5 or 6times and then tried to input the code, that was rejected too. She then pressed the button for help and I told her to forget as I wanted to get back home before theChristmas rush starts.

So no IYCF still.

Keith M

Reaction score
In my Tescos superstore they ony sell IYCF, TCF and 5 Carp Mags.

If I'd seen a regional one I would have bought one regularly.

While we are talking about regional mags; why doesnt AM make their Where to Fish books regional? i.e. one book for Southern, one for midland etc. If they did, a lot more would be sold, in fact some people like myself would even buy two different region books. but thats a different topic.