farham

mjw

Reaction score
Has anyone fished any farnham waters recently, fancied a session on the weekend but not sure if its worth the journey. This is my first winter with the club so any info on how any of there waters fish in the colder months will be a great help thanks

Rob Hale

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

What's your quarry? Farnham angling society have some great winter fishing for all species. If you're after a bend in your rod, then the Tarn, Lodge and Badshot Lea are ideal.

Stillwater offers a good chance of a larger fish and the fish are growing and growing at Mill Lane.

The Rivers are open (although access to a few is restricted due to F&M) and now is the ideal time for Barbel!

Hope this helps

Rob

mjw

Reaction score
Hi Rob,

I'm after a few carp, should of put that in really. Anyway we've bit the bullet and booked on Tarn for a couple of nights over the weekend. We wont catch at home afterall. Are there any Farnham waters which hold some good Roach? There something I'v meant to have a go for but never got round to, maybe this year!

Cheers

Mark

Rob Hale

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Good choice mate. Find the fish and don't be afraid to put some pellet in.

On Roach waters, Frensham Small, Frensham Big, Tarn and Stockbridge have specimen roach present - although there are lots of Rudd in these also. Frensham Small is famous for it's Rudd (as well as for the Leney Carp).

Otherise, the Rivers might be a good bet.

Good luck mate - depending on where I end up this weekend I might see you on the Tarn.

Cheers

Rob

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Icaught a roach of just over one and a half poundsfrom Lodge a few years ago, on a cockle. That's the biggest I canrecall from a Farnham water, though I've had plenty up to arounda pound from Stanford End. Don't ignore the Wey at Dockenfield either; I've had them up to12oz on pheasant-tail nymphs meant for trout. One day I'll try for them deliberately -though not this weekend; judging by the rain that's falling as I write it'll be like liquid cement for the next few days.

Is Tarn wortha go now? I've never fished it for carp, but have been thinking about trying it soon. I remember it always used to be terribly popular, but since the fish kill a few years ago it always seems practically deserted. There was no-one on it last Sunday when I walked round to try my luck on Warren.

FB

Rob Hale

Reaction score
Hi Fred,

I'd love to see the photo's - with so much emphasis on carp nowadays, it's very rare to see people targeting the big roach and rudd.

Tarn is definately worth a go, especially as it's quiet. The fish are growing well with the largest of the fish now approaching 30lb and all the other fish at least doubles. They fight incredibly well and the Priory strain fish are absolutely stunning.

The dam wall is being repaired at the moment, so the water level has been dropped, but give Pav (Acting Head Bailiff @ Tarn) a call - his number's in the handbook to find out what it's fishing like at the moment.

All the best, and well done on the Roach.

Rob

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I'm afraid I've no photos of any of these roach or rudd, as until recently I didn't own a camera. I do now have one, soshould theplanets align in my favour I may actually getone on film.

Thanks for the tip about Tarn. I took a walk around it a couple of weekends ago and as you say, it was very low. There was no signs of carp (predictably enough, given the cold clear weather) but there was a large shoal of small roach and skimmers packed into the inlet from Warren. I would have tried for a pike had I taken any suitable gear, as I suspect a pike or threewouldn't have been far away.As it was I fished Warren and blanked utterly.

FB