Stop wait don't sling that bait..

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I see so much bait chucked into waters at the end of days.
Our songbirds are nesting and need a lot of grub.
Unwanted maggots, casters, pinkies and Squatts all get picked up in the garden by robins, dunnocks, chaffinches, and wrens to name a few.
They are all busy nesting and getting their rocks off at this time of year.
Spare them a thought ...

murv

Reaction score
I see so much bait chucked into waters at the end of days.
Our songbirds are nesting and need a lot of grub.
Unwanted maggots, casters, pinkies and Squatts all get picked up in the garden by robins, dunnocks, chaffinches, and wrens to name a few.
They are all busy nesting and getting their rocks off at this time of year.
Spare them a thought ...

Good point Sir, mind you, that's assuming I have left over bait after a days fishing and feeding the Robins and Wrens on my local patch!

agamemnon

Reaction score
the lake i fish is very underfished so every bit of bait going in helps the fish to switch from the natural feed in the ressy

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Got back from fishing today and chucked a few handfuls of maggots around the garden, went down the boozer for a pint or two, now back home sitting and the garden is alive with robins, dunnocks, blackbirds and thrushes.
The robins are collecting beakfulls so almost certainly have young in their nests.

Happy days......

murv

Reaction score
The cheeky sods didn't even wait for me to get home yesterday, just helped themselves straight from the groundbait bowl!

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Years ago I would hoarde un-used bait, maggot, pinkie, worms, sweetcorn, luncheon meat and groundbaits.

In those days I was fishing every weekend throughout the season.

These days I get out a lot less so I simply don't bother with anything else other than worms that go back into the wormery.

Left over maggot, pinkie gets given to the birds in my garden, always.
I will freeze corn and luncheon meat but only for blitzing in the blender for adding to fresh groundbait.

I have noticed a huge reduction in the "fizz" of defrosted groundbaits so that too gets put on the bird table and fresh is made-up for every fishing trip.

I am almost OCD these days about having the best, freshest bait that I can lay my hands on.