Football 0 Fishing 1

M

Mark Hodson

Seeing that licence sales fall in footballtournament years could all the home nations fa-illing to qualify be a major shot in the arm for angling and the fishing industry ?

As people won't be buying lager, silly wigs and flags, will they instead be buying maggots, floats and er... lager ?

(As long as we get a summer of course !)

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Hopefully.

But we'll still see an overpaid, passionless prima dona as SportsPersonality of the year.

gerry h

Reaction score
yes but i dnt think it ll be mclarren what a usless +++

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

i went poll fishing today but all i caught was 2rumanians and a bosnian

twitch

Reaction score
When I saw England go out a thought crossed my mind. What are the TV companies going to fill our screens with instead. The second thought was the England fishing team (male & female) have a better record than our nation football team.

It may be a good time to start an e-mail campaign to the TV companies to show fishing programs and let us see some successes in sport and not dwell on this countries sporting failures.

T

teecee

I think England going out is aMAJOR blow for proper Anglers(up at 7am-good breakfast-chase the wife for an hour-on the lake by 10 and home by 3.30)as these England fans will now want something to do to fill time!I can just see all the best swims taken next summer and I shall have to give up the breakfast just to find a space to fish!!!

Its not bloody right-bring back Jack Charlton I say-at least he knew how to arrange footballmatches around the fishing......yes,I know he didn't manage England but he would have made a better job of it than the last few incumbents!!

Give the job to Wenger and thats from a born and bred Tottenham fan!

I really believe we have talked ourselves into thinking our players(or some of them)are World Class and it is just not true,only that they are the best we can produce within the english game.I cannot recall any England team that ever looked really comfortable on the ball(a few exceptions I agree)with most players happy to get rid of the ball as soon as possible.Italy,Brazil,etc.etc.even Croatia this week lookedbetter than England because they were comfortable with the ball.How many times do we have to see players that can only kick with one foot get themselves into a state becausethe ball arrives on the wrong foot.

Our players look good within the club team BECAUSE they play with quality players from overseas-why else does Wenger et al have teams made up almosy entirely of foreigners who look as if they were born with a football.......

Should produce a few replies...........................

Gerry Hems

Reaction score
I had been a season ticket holder at my local Championship Club for many years but gave it up this season. The lowest admission at the gate is about £20, pies are £2quid a time with a pot of tea at £1.50. We then get 90 minutes of pure frustration and ineptperformance. I spend 80 minutes screeming at the inept officials and leave after the game with my blood pressure in the red zone. Now I pay £4 for 8 hours on the bank, my own jam butties and a flask and if I,m lucky catch a few fish. So for goodness sakelets not encourage the frustrated England supporters onto the banks next summer. The chants of the 'Bailiff is a bastard' and'Who ate all the carp'and the violence when the opposition had a bite would be just too much although I believe we might see aMr McClaren on the bank (but he probably wouldnt have anything in his net)

Huw (ACA) Bsc Hons

Reaction score
teecee, (in reply). Don't you think it's a MAJOR failing of the British game that so many of the so called "topclubs", that they rely so heavily on foreign players? It appears to me that the national game has been so weakened by not bringing on the younger players, that British teams will never again succeed at International level. The F.A. are the main culprits in all this, allowing un-restricted numbers of foreign players into the leagues, and trying to find any reason in the world to cover up their own ineptitude regarding the on going searches for British players.

My other rant regarding "the beautiful game", is the National 'team' itself. In any match, be it a Sunday league, or International game, once the players cross that white line, the result is totally in their hands, or feet. Why always blame the manager? Kick out the prima dona's and find a group of players who WANT to wear the shirt and play with pride for their nation, rather than their own ego's.

Sorry to all those who read this in the wrong forum, but the thread was started here!

Reaction score
gerry h.

It won't be McClaren but it is likely the winner will have driven one. Somethng wonderfully Britiish about our sports personality of the year so often going to somebody who has come second (or not won anything aka Beckham, Rusedski etc).

Whatever you feel about competition fishing it should be Scothorne (excuse spelling) this year but it won't, he probably won't get an invite

T

teecee

Huw-you're absolutely correct;it is great to watch some of these great players from foreign climes(Henry,Gallas et al)BUT it has done nothing to help our National team or game....

As for the ex-manager;well,I could never see what his credentials were that warranted him getting the job in the first place,but perhaps we also have to look at the people who make the appointments-what makes them experts?Perhaps a board of Premier league managers might be a better option....

Then I read today that the FA are going to supposedly seek the assistance of Gerrard/Lampard as to who gets the Job-didn't they just turn in dismal performances last Wednesday.....for my money one or other should be dropped!

Anyway this is a fishing website so no more of this stuff-£20 a ticket-that buys me a lot of bait and peace and quiet-If I catch nowt then the blame rests in one place!!

THE END

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Do we really want the lager swilling, silly wigs wearingand flag waving idiots on the river/lakeside, surely angling has more than its share of undesirables already?

Steve Holland

Reaction score
'ang on! Isn't there some similarity between footy and angling here???? Both are being screwed by too many bloody foreigners?!?!?!?!?!?!? Plus, too many beers swillers into both things too?????;-)