Mealworms (Darkling Beetle Larvae)

Milo

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have tried mealies as baits? I breed them for my reptiles so they're always to hand? I got my girlfriend's mum's fella a kilo months ago but, I've not seen him to ask how he got on with them... anyone on here given them a go before? You can get them for about £16 a kilo now, if you're interested; that's for the larger ones (20-30mm).

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Hi Milo, long time no see mate.

I did have a few mealworms a few years ago. Not many though, I got them for the birds. I can't remember much about them, but don't they have quite a long life span or something? Are they easy to keep and breed? Do they need any special conditions?

Milo

Reaction score
Hiya Baz! Hope you're well!?

Mealies can, if kept warm, fairly quickly turn into pupae resembling "Aliens", but, if you keep them cool stay in laval form for weeks. They're very easy to breed. I keep mine in ventilated tubs containing crushed Weetabix, and when they turn to beetles, move the beetles into another tub for breeding. When worms appear, the beetles get moved again. As you can tell, you probably want three tubs or more really. My reptiles love them!