The Pinnacle Of Tackle ??

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Can tackle get any better than it already is folks or is it at its best now ?
Where could you see any advances coming what with carbon fibre rods state of the art reels with freespools and smooth clutches ,alarms with vibration settings .
Hooks that never seem to bend anymore sinking lines floating lines .
Basically we have it all when was this achieved and will it keep advancing or will what we have now still be doing the business in a hundred years time?

beerweasel

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Graphene rods, otherwise the only way you could improve
our present tackle would be to put a "Made in England" sticker on it. (fat chance).

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can tackle get any better than it already is folks or is it at its best now ?
Where could you see any advances coming what with carbon fibre rods state of the art reels with freespools and smooth clutches ,alarms with vibration settings .
Hooks that never seem to bend anymore sinking lines floating lines .
Basically we have it all when was this achieved and will it keep advancing or will what we have now still be doing the business in a hundred years time?

Tackle is still evolving, and like everything else will never stop!
Take a look at the top of the range preston rods, folk thought the Excel range could not be beat, then they go and up the stakes with the new Absolution range, mighty fine they are too!
Reels just keep getting better and better too and if you haven't noticed as technology advances the prices start to get cheaper! I had to buy a new lap top this week when mine went for a burton! the new one is amazing and for the money is far superior to my 10 year old laptop that cost 3 times as much!!

chav professor

Reaction score
I could not imagine mono being improved upon. It is fine enough to work well enough and has sufficient stretch. Could pre-stretched or high tech mono be classified as progress? in a few instances, maybe...... But very few IMO.

Centre pin reel has changed very little since the Coxon, with most being variations of an ariel to some extent.

There is a limit to how light or thin you would want a fishing rod to be.... I should imagine the most expensive carbon fibre rods to be the pinicle, or rather could not imagine wanting anything better. I love my Daiwa Tournament match rod and consider it to have superb liteness, a super crisp action and super playing action to handle fish of ounces on light gear to commercial lake pigs on 8lb line.

I could imagine that one day, a lead will have a small camera that could send real time images through a fine fibre through the centre of the fishing line giving anglers an image of what is taking place near their hook bait.

perhaps I am too easily satisfied.... I like it the way it is:D

I agree with Marks comments.... the best will become cheaper and more widely available... Top end stuff will ever continue to be subtly but ever-so impressively better than the cheaper stuff!

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
The big advances in fishing rod design will come with the development of new resin systems to bind together the carbon cloth. This is where the weight and fragility of rods comes from. With better resin we'd get a lot more from current carbon technology without having to resort to technical advances in the carbon cloth itself.

I can't see a step change in reel technology, just better quality gears, stronger, lighter casings and better drag systems. Maybe if we got improved cast control mechanisms we'd used multipliers a lot more. I coud see them being used a lot in carping if numpties could cast with them:wh

barbelboi

Reaction score
Everyone to their own but I am more than happy with fishing with the choice of what's available today. With the speed of evolution fish are going to take a heck of a long time to catch up:wh
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm not sure there's much else that can be done with rods/reels that's actually worth doing. I'm pretty content with what's available now and such improvements that will be made will be small I reckon. Diminishing returns in most aspects of the sport IMO.

TBH until last year I was happily using a 13' match rod that was 25 years old....on that basis the stuff I've got now will very likely see me off.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
the only way you could improve our present tackle would be to put a "Made in England" sticker on it.
I'd dearly love to see that!

Me too on all other aspects, the carbons we're getting now are superb on the mid to top end rods, although one major improvement IMO would be to go back to putting decent rings on them rather than these single legged bend-em-and-break-ems. Don't mind single legged on just the top section of match rods, but not all through on chub and barbel rods, never! Oh and screw DOWN reel fittings, not screw UP ones, in fact - a better reel seat and reel fitting all round please where your hand doesn't have to touch anything rough or cold, but I commented on this years ago.

Reels, they're fine right now (other than aforementioned reel foot), but more should be offered with an aluminium spare spool if the main is ali, or at least a top quality plastic one rather than the rubbish spare some provide.

Tackle has come on in the past 15 - 20 years, its surprising, but when the new ideas come through, you'll all stand back and say how your present tackle looks dated.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I can see a time when your feeder/bomb will have a receiver which will be picked up by a satellite which takes a full scan of, not only the lake you are fishing, but also the swim. It will tell you what is in the swim, the species and it's weight down to the ounce. It will probably also warn you when fish are at their most likely to feed.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
The big advances in fishing rod design will come with the development of new resin systems to bind together the carbon cloth. This is where the weight and fragility of rods comes from. With better resin we'd get a lot more from current carbon technology without having to resort to technical advances in the carbon cloth itself.

I can't see a step change in reel technology, just better quality gears, stronger, lighter casings and better drag systems. Maybe if we got improved cast control mechanisms we'd used multipliers a lot more. I coud see them being used a lot in carping if numpties could cast with them:wh

Heh heh, love the back-handed insult.
Fact is they'd suit carping very well but carpers are such tackle tarts they would never be seen with something that wasn't recommended by (insert name here)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally I think a lot of tackle has taken a step back in quality due to the manufacturers trying to cut costs and out price one another.
Drennan rods spring to mind straight away.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Heh heh, love the back-handed insult.
Fact is they'd suit carping very well but carpers are such tackle tarts they would never be seen with something that wasn't recommended by (insert name here)

Eric,
As you know it is not an hard job to learn to set up a multiplier and cast with one, the carp boy's a a lazy bunch by nature and they could not be bothered with all that messing about (to them anyway!) and besides, to them baitcasting multipliers just would just not look right sitting on a pod as they don't hold 3000 yards of mono!!!

By they way Eric, I love your piking blog!

---------- Post added at 08:03 ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 ----------

Personally I think a lot of tackle has taken a step back in quality due to the manufacturers trying to cut costs and out price one another.
Drennan rods spring to mind straight away.

Tigger,
I think Peter sold the company and moved abroad. The term by name but not by nature comes to mind!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see a time when your feeder/bomb will have a receiver which will be picked up by a satellite which takes a full scan of, not only the lake you are fishing, but also the swim. It will tell you what is in the swim, the species and it's weight down to the ounce. It will probably also warn you when fish are at their most likely to feed.

. . . . well, we already have GPS on our Bait boats so when coupled with the already permanently mounted echo sounder/fish finder we can now return to the exact spot on the lake (+/- a foot or so) to where we left off fishing the previous night.

So, maybe not such a far-sighted leap to the above post?

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Whatever happened to Ron's rods made with carrots that he hailled as the next modern angling miracle?

They must still be growing them....

Philip

Reaction score
Eric, As you know it is not an hard job to learn to set up a multiplier and cast with one, the carp boy's a a lazy bunch by nature and they could not be bothered with all that messing about (to them anyway!) and besides, to them baitcasting multipliers just would just not look right sitting on a pod as they don't hold 3000 yards of mono!!! By they way Eric, I love your piking blog!

Oh dear, talk about a wind up. Shame Carp fishermen have to be dragged into it again. Tempted to let it pass, but well, I can't...

Jim Gibbinson recommended Multipliers for Carping more than a decade back as he suggested for the continental Carpers fishing huge waters and rowing their baits out they are actually much better suited than a fixed spool. I have come across Carpers doing exactly this on a number of occasions so I am afraid you are, well, wrong...

Btw ...I have no idea what sort of fishing you do ? ...but I suspect some of the tackle your using is thanks to advances in carping...why ? Because its the Carpers keeping the tackle industry afloat and buying the tackle to ensure companies making it continue to come up with new things. If it was down to everyone else, like the Pikers for example, who do nothing to advance the sport and just leech off the other branches you would probably still be fishing with a bamboo runner bean pole...

Returning to the question of the thread..well allot of rod technology advances comes from the yachting fraternity, or so I am led to believe...the masts on the yachts in things like the Americas cup are based on carbon blanks and its here the real advances are made so keep an eye on that if you want to see were rods are heading.

The one area I would like to see advances made is with the hook. Sure we see a multitude of shapes and bends and whatnot but the basic idea of a “hook” has existed since literally prehistoric times. I have no idea what it would be, but I think its here that a real advancement could literally change the sport -and its image in the public eyes- , forever.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
The one area I would like to see advances made is with the hook. Sure we see a multitude of shapes and bends and whatnot but the basic idea of a “hook” has existed since literally prehistoric times. I have no idea what it would be, but I think its here that a real advancement could literally change the sport -and its image in the public eyes- , forever.

Fish with magnets in them???? In place of then hook, carpers would use a strong electromagnet attached to there line that could attract carp from near and far. When landed, the electromagnet is switched off and safely comes away from the magnetic arrangement in the fishes mouth..... No nasty sharp pieces of steel embedded in a fished mouth...... No more nuisance fish..... Additionally, you could make ONLY Carp magnetic.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fish with magnets in them???? In place of then hook, carpers would use a strong electromagnet attached to there line that could attract carp from near and far. When landed, the electromagnet is switched off and safely comes away from the magnetic arrangement in the fishes mouth..... No nasty sharp pieces of steel embedded in a fished mouth...... No more nuisance fish..... Additionally, you could make ONLY Carp magnetic.

I remember playing with the cardboard prototypes when I was a child;)
Jerry

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh dear, talk about a wind up. Shame Carp fishermen have to be dragged into it again. Tempted to let it pass, but well, I can't...

Jim Gibbinson recommended Multipliers for Carping more than a decade back as he suggested for the continental Carpers fishing huge waters and rowing their baits out they are actually much better suited than a fixed spool. I have come across Carpers doing exactly this on a number of occasions so I am afraid you are, well, wrong...

Btw ...I have no idea what sort of fishing you do ? ...but I suspect some of the tackle your using is thanks to advances in carping...why ? Because its the Carpers keeping the tackle industry afloat and buying the tackle to ensure companies making it continue to come up with new things. If it was down to everyone else, like the Pikers for example, who do nothing to advance the sport and just leech off the other branches you would probably still be fishing with a bamboo runner bean pole...

Returning to the question of the thread..well allot of rod technology advances comes from the yachting fraternity, or so I am led to believe...the masts on the yachts in things like the Americas cup are based on carbon blanks and its here the real advances are made so keep an eye on that if you want to see were rods are heading.

Philip mate, it was meant to be tongue in cheek, us northerners do have a sense of humour, we are really famous for it, oh and also our whippets, racing pigeons and flat caps!!!!

chav professor

Reaction score
Philip mate, it was meant to be tongue in cheek, us northerners do have a sense of humour, we are really famous for it, oh and also our whippets, racing pigeons and flat caps!!!!

And I'm from down south....... and are know for paying taxes and buying insurance to keep northerners in Benefits and fraudulent accident claims:D:D:D:D