Good Buy?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
No need to be sorry Kevin, some of the old and so called refurbished 'tatt' that comes up on the people's auction house is just as you say, fit only for kindling.

On the other hand I managed to pick-up a really lovely example of a Taperflash just a few weeks ago for a fiver! The P&P came to more than my winning bid and the rod when I opened it was stunning. Ask Claudia, she had a little 'waggle' with it (the rod you filthy minded lot) the last time she came over to 'raid' my tackle room.

I have been after a really good example of an Avocet though for the past 4 or 5 years, and some of the prices for refurbished specimens are outrageous. Over 300 for a good one, but one of these days when I get fed up with trying to get for for sensible money I am sure I'll succomb and bid silly money.

Some of the poorer models though can still adorn the walls of a study or fishing room, and can still be bought at reasonable prices, but for a good useable rod then the days of bargains on e-bay are long gone I'm afraid.

At the end of the day I think it is all about what you are prepared to pay and how long you are prepare to wait for what you want.

Now, if anyone has an Avocet that they want to see go to a good home, and be used from time to time, well, you know who to e-mail, but not yet at 'silly' money.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
to 'raid' my tackle room. Excuse me Sir??? (unbelievable look on my face) I was not raiding your tackle box...you did that and got enoyed because you couldn't find that certain bread puncher Pff. (haha)

(But I did borrow his Purist II Centrepin, a beautiful reel)

Now Kevin, I have no idea or knowledge about vintage rods but the Taperflash does look and feels lovely, couldn't believe he got it for a fiver (jummy soandso)

(I nearly tried to smuggle it out of the study but Peter watched me like a hawk *sigh*)

W

Wolfman Woody

Good buy that Peter.

Will come in handy as an arial when you're listening to that old crystal set of yours.

Radio 5? that old set still has the Home Service marked on it.