The Alternative Angler ? Good Buy?

G

Ged

Ebuyer beware.
I've never bought of Ebay and I,ll probably never will. My mate has been stung when buying Mitchell reels.
Why is it that sellers of the 810,s all have the same picture for their reels?
Well spotted about the rod Kevin and keep the articles comimg. Always enjoy your work.

twitch

Reaction score
Another good artical, I've looked on Ebay and noticed some things in the pic's that dont match with the description. Buyer beware is the watch word when looking at Ebay.

I'm looking forward to reading your artical for the Christmas period, I'm sure it will be a good one.

W

Wolfman Woody

Ged, I've had some absolutley stunning buys on eBay, bargains galore.

I've also sold some 2nd use stuff and had good prices for them.

I've only fell for one that I thought was Rapala lures and it said "Rapala like", so I dipped £6 on that. The other week I did buy a "Rapala" because I knew it to be a fake and wanted to stop them, a load were being sold. So I guess I lost £4 on that, but knowingly this time!

I've bought £60 rods for £10.50, £150 reels for £50, and a holdall worth £120 for just £30. It goes on and on. You just have to do some research first and watch for key words.

D

Dave George

Pray tell us more............how about a whole article on howan angler might getthe best out of e-Bay?

W

Wolfman Woody

There is one coming - soon. Believe me.

As for Kevin, he doesn't tell you here how he purchase a Sealey Octospin rod for less than a tenner. Split cane, perfect (almost) whippings and rings. He's a shrewd eBuyer.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Twitch

"I'm looking forward to reading your artical for the Christmas period, I'm sure it will be a good one"

At least you're optomistic.....!

Jeff

I am more than happy to admit that I have managed to pick up the odd little gem.......

I hoped the thrust of the article was that it appears that in certain categories of tackle offered for saleyou need to have your wits about you, or in fishing parlance you could quite easily be'tucked up like a kipper'

And some of the 'refurbishments' (hate that word) carried out in order to restore rods to pristine (and therefore far more valuable) condition have in truth rendered the rod almost worthless

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Oh yes, and that Octospin has been handled by both me and Woody and it is the very same rod thatfeatured in a fabulous article right here on FM. So with that stunning provenance it's about to go back on eBay with a moderately low starting price of £150, unless I receive a better offer beforehand................

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Woody,myself and the mrs have bought and sold many items of tackle via e-bay and she has top notch feedback and high ratings.If you are doing an e-bay type fishing article and want to use examples then you would be most welcome to highlight any of our stuff etc....

Yes folks there are some fantastic bargains to be found on e-bay but there is also some right old shite as well.If you are a competant type angler and you know what you are looking at/for then you tend to spot the good from the bad.

If you are unsure,then always take a look at thepersons feedback and general comments left by other buyers and sellers.Myself and her in doors have never been stung or attempted to deceive....honesty is allways the best policy,that way people come back to buy more.

L

Laurie Harper

Caveat emptor was never more true since the arrival of eBay. I appreciate the points made about bargains to be had, but I've never yet been persuaded to buy something sight unseen (as I always tell people who phone me from Bombay in the eveningstrying to sell me stuff).EBay does seem to cause people to leave their scepticism on the shelf and generate a buying frenzy. I've seen plenty of stuff (not just tackle) at stupid prices. Am I just an old cynic?

W

Wolfman Woody

It was done nearly two months ago now, Nick, but our Mr Marsden has so much stuff to put up it gets pushed down the list. (cough, cough)

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif