fishing for wild carp

charlie_o

Reaction score
hi everyone this is my first post so go easy on me

iv been fishing for about 5 years now mainly river fishing for chub, bream and pike, but recently i have decided to target some "wild" carp in a local pond near me.

the reason i say "wild" is because i am not 100% sure they are wild carp, but i will let every make there own mind up on what they think they are, the pond has not been stocked with carp in over 75 + years, they are very long and lean carp, they are all common carp you never see any mirrors in there, they have very small mouths compared to normal stocked carp, they are very shy biters, i put a few bits of bread near a few that were moving about and they would not take it, they would just nibble away at it.

my main question is: how should i go about catching them ? should i start with natural baits like bread ? and should i use a little ground bait may be some bread crumb ?

im going to be night fishing the pond so all advice will be very helpful

many thanks charlie

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hello Charlie

There's a little lake near where I live with neo-wildies too. I fish for them off the top with dog biscuits. If you feed them regularly and there are not too many ducks they should get on them.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
my main question is: how should i go about catching them ? should i start with natural baits like bread ? and should i use a little ground bait may be some bread crumb
Natural baits?

charlie_o

Reaction score
ha sorry about that, by natural baits i mean stuff like bread, nuts, corn, maggots, worms also hemp

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hello Charlie

There's a little lake near where I live with neo-wildies too. I fish for them off the top with dog biscuits. If you feed them regularly and there are not too many ducks they should get on them.

Simon K

Reaction score
I think you'd be better off fishing for them during the day Charlie, when you can see what's going on and how and whether they react to different baits.

I would go any of worm, maggot, bread or corn and see what they do, then adjust or change.

True Wildies top out about 6-7lb. If these are about the same, float-fishing would be a good start to see the bites develop.

Sounds fun.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I believe that the name 'wild carp' is often used out of context IMO, due to inter- breading between the Cyprinidae species there are probably only a couple of waters in the UK where the true breed could exist - one of these being Stowe, Bucks.
Jerry

bank_tramp

Reaction score
Welcome Charlie,
I believe that the name 'wild carp' is often used out of context IMO, due to inter- breading between the Cyprinidae species there are probably only a couple of waters in the UK where the true breed could exist - one of these being Stowe, Bucks.
Jerry
Unfortunately the Stowe fish can no longer be considered true wildies since king carp have now been stocked, my dad had commons to 24lb+ from there last season:mad:

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Welcome Charlie,

Unfortunately the Stowe fish can no longer be considered true wildies since king carp have now been stocked, my dad had commons to 24lb+ from there last season:mad:

Thanks for the update - it was only one of the smaller lakes that was considered inhabited with true wildies.
Jerry

bank_tramp

Reaction score
There are a few ponds around Stowe that used to hold what we considered wildies, I believe there was one near Akeley so you may be correct, one things for sure its very hard to say a fish is a genuine wild carp these days. Crucian carp are going the same way I'm afraid.:mad:
As far as the op's original question I think most methods will catch wildies, they ain't too different from king carp in that respect:)

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
If the lake's ONLY got wildies, then a maggot clip rig - see the Carp Mad Man on the Carper's tip bit seem #5 -

But, if it has been fished before and there are other 'non-wild' carp, then you could get away with natural high attract pellets - Not Boiles yet though - the mixed grpup of non wild - that have been caught/fished for - and wild carp would ecourage the wild carp to 'learn' that these not so natural and possibly more user (fishermen) friendly baits - like pellets - are fine to eat. All the best with it, the CMM

waggler

Reaction score
My personal approach would be a very simple set up fishing with a few monster lobworms, your won garden lobworms would be best and with the recent rain should be easy peasy to get a good collection, if you need some help check out this guide: Fishing Worms from your Garden

Good Luck!

nicepix

Reaction score
There is a small farm pond at the back of our cottage. It was drained about 19 years ago and re-stocked according to the farmer with two bucketfulls of fish. He has no idea what fish these were and in that 19 years it has only been fished a handful of times - mostly unsuccessfully according to the farmer.

On exploring it I could see that there were carp in there. No surprise as literally every farm, village and house with grounds of any size has a pond or ponds with carp in them. So these carp were as wild as is no difference. Withing half an hour I had one on sweetcorn and three others followed in the next couple of hours. Nothing big, around 4 Kg max, but a few had the spiky dorsal fin that catches in the landing net and is supposed to signify a wild fish or so I have heard. I tried a few more times hoping for a tench or rudd, but only carp have come out so far. The other day I threw in some bread crusts and within two minutes fish were taking them. I've also had them on sheep pellets and small pieces of luncheon meat left over from a barbel session. So, we have fish that have barely if ever exposed to baits taking sweetcorn, sheep pellets, meat and bread readily.

I wouldn't get too hung up on baits. Just fish what you have to hand.

BubblesAndFishing

Reaction score
hi everyone this is my first post so go easy on me

iv been fishing for about 5 years now mainly river fishing for chub, bream and pike, but recently i have decided to target some "wild" carp in a local pond near me.

the reason i say "wild" is because i am not 100% sure they are wild carp, but i will let every make there own mind up on what they think they are, the pond has not been stocked with carp in over 75 + years, they are very long and lean carp, they are all common carp you never see any mirrors in there, they have very small mouths compared to normal stocked carp, they are very shy biters, i put a few bits of bread near a few that were moving about and they would not take it, they would just nibble away at it.

my main question is: how should i go about catching them ? should i start with natural baits like bread ? and should i use a little ground bait may be some bread crumb ?

im going to be night fishing the pond so all advice will be very helpful

many thanks charlie
[/QUOTE

theres a little water near me where no carp have ever been stocked so theyre all wild, i only use natural baits as they wont pick up boilies at all tigernuts corn and bread have done the best for me