Ireland (again)

F

Fred Bonney

I am joining a group in July staying I believe in Aghavas.
Any tips for this area? What can I expect,fish wise.Leave the beer to me,I will stick to the Guiness or Murphys.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Are you sure you dont mean Arvagh ???

F

Fred Bonney

Could be,if it's in the area,third hand info.supplied to me

E

Fred
any problems e-mail me and I'll send you maps etc -------I work for Leisure Angling ....we deal solely in fishing Hols in Ireland

E

Oops ---- Forgot to ask you

where are you staying ?? Breffni Arms or Farrangarve House .........?

F

Fred Bonney

Just back stopped at Farrangarve House,Arva,Co Cavan.
Eight of us had an excellent time filled to the brim with good basic food and of course the Guinness
Fishing not brilliant best bream 21/2lb,lots of prime roach,skimmers and fighting hybrids.Biggest bag about 40lb of mixed.
Weather the dryest seen for months,only rained last Friday for us, so we got med tans.
What's happened to all the bigger bream of 4/5 years ago??
Lots of the waters unapproachable without a struggle,water levels well up the banks

P

Paul Thompson

Fred,
Glad you had a good time mate!!

On a different note, have you seen they are staging the national championships on Furzton soon. Sneak yourself down there mate, I'm sure you wouldn't get noticed with that beanstick of yours :eek:)

The donkey walloper.....

F

Fred Bonney

I'm not convinced that my B&W Mark4 is only a beanstick,having read the thread on the Harrison perfect potential rod, the only difference seems to be mine's fibre glass.We shall see;o)

P

Paul Christie

Fred, I know the Arva area quite well. We went there for 7 or 8 years on the trot and it used to be good for bags of big bream. Sadly when we went 4 years ago, the bream were in bad shape, full or sores, lice and on their last legs. They were not pleasant to catch. No one really seems to acknowledge what happened, but it seemed like some sort of infection spread through the system. The following year bream were like gold dust and usually reliable streches were graveyards. Looks like they are on there way back now, but the area has changed, in that there are far more roach than there ever used to be and like many area's they have hybridised with the bream. We've been going to the Derg area since, but still hold fond memories of the area and hope to return at some stage.

F

Fred Bonney

Paul,
I would say the Bream we were catching all about the same size were 2/3years old,so things are looking good for the future.
The last time I was in Ireland was probably 4 years ago in the Leitrim area we fished Lough Nasser and we had some terrific catches, but one or two other locations showed signs of the 'infection',we put it down to mishandling at the time,but I think your right.

P

Paul Christie

Fred,
Out of interest, which waters and shore-lines of Gowna did you fish?

F

Fred Bonney

Paul,i'll come back,i've still got the memory loss problem from too much Guiness,or it might be age.