DHL and myself

C

Cakey

Graham these are my DHL letters I was telling you about

one is the bill ,then I phoned and complained that I paid the VAT and the carriage with VAT

this is the link to what I purchased
scan0002.gif

scan0001.gif

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Looks like the supplier has ripped you off Cakey from what you were telling me. It does look like DHL have paid the VAT, even though the supplier claimed it was included in the price you paid.

C

Cakey

ok cheers

bit upset....dont like paying it once let alone twice .........../forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Where does it say on their advertising,that Portagadgets import the article?

Whatever,Cakey it's in their terms and conditions.

C

Cakey

Direct to your doorsteps - Straight from Asia's Largest Distribution Centre - CUT the middleman and SAVE!

Customer who opt for direct deposit will get a £5.00 discount coupon in your next order.

Kindly note that all products will be distributed directly from our overseas supplier which explains why we are able to sell the products at a much lower price compared to other online retail shops in UK. In view of the savings arising from the stocking cost as well as other handling fees, we are able to pass on the savings to you as our customer. Therefore, we wish to inform that we do not keep any stocks at our UK sales office due to the above reason. All orders must be entered via our website only, we do not take orders via phone or email.

from their home page

F

Fred Bonney

All I can see mate, is you've paid vat on the duty charged, which is based on a value less than you paid for the product.

Not certain how the retailer can charge vat on the product ,when they've not handled it!Don't know regs. on that though.

C

Cakey

ok cheers Fred .....got your email to ...wil get it sorted cheers mate

W

Wolfman Woody

This is a weird one Cakey.

You've been asked to pay DHL a further £15.68 - am I right?

The supplier has put the value down at £27.51 with a further £47.79 for freight value. Then there's a "VAT Value Adjustment", what is that all about?

In total, you're being asked to pay VAT on a total of £82.49 which is £14.43 plus then DHL's handling charge.

Q. - why do they put down a low value? What is valued at £27.51?

They do say in their terms and conditions

" VAT and Import Duty

All customers are by law responsible to pay duties and VAT in their respective country of residence."

So why quote that they have included VAT @ £33.78 already (which is a correct calculation). These people are based in Brighton, have you been in contact with them to ask what it's all about?

Porta Gadgets Europe
4, Franklin Street,
Brighton
East Sussex, BN2 3AL

The BIG question is, would the lens have cost you more than the £15.69 had you bought it elsewhere?

Seems like dodgy dealings in some respects, unless that charge is just based on the freight charge, which isn't made clear or did you pay VAT on the freight as well through the supplier?

LESSON IS - Caveat Emptor always! Perhaps don't deal with Porta Gadgets ever again, but why not drop them a line and tell them you'll post the detail of the transaction on a photography website and let everyone else know what the REAL deal is?

I used to buy in £££thousands of stock from the US and never was charged VAT on the shipping charges, I'm sure. I used to pay 6% if the company listed a dongle with the software and for that I got hammered, but otherwise, there was no duty on pure software, not even the disks and manuals.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just tried to search for a phone number for them - BT directories replied with- " Searched for Porta Gadgets Europe in Brighton (Sussex)

This business could not be found.
"

Worry! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Edit: AAAGGGGHHHH! Just seen, they quote a mobile - +44.7.8114.62623 (07811 462623)

Always watch companies that only have a mobile number!

alan

Reaction score
Cakey highlighted in bold is name address phone and email of admin for the website.

Registrant:
Bytestopia Ventures Sdn. Bhd.
Donald Gerard Ng
P.O. Box 149 Bukit Baru
Melaka, 75730
MY
Email: denzuke@gmail.com

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: portagadgets.com

Created on..............: Sun, Jan 28, 2007
Expires on..............: Sat, Aug 02, 2008
Record last updated on..: Sat, Oct 20, 2007

Administrative Contact:
Bytestopia Ventures Sdn. Bhd.
Donald Gerard Ng
P.O. Box 149 Bukit Baru
Melaka, 75730
MY
Phone: +1.60162333300
Email: denzuke@gmail.com

Technical Contact:
Registercom
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: +1.9027492701
Email: domainregistrar@register.com

DNS Servers:

ns1.dnsexit.com
ns2.dnsexit.com

C

Cakey

Ive tried all the e-mails and 2 have been bounced back the others have not replied

the phone number for Brighton comes up no such number

I suppose my best bet now is to pay the £15.68 to keep all happy

the lens is superb so I dont want to lose it and it looks like to me that they(portagadgets) have put the value of the lens down as £50

C

Cakey

just been through my paypal e-mails and found the one requesting payment

it says..... Astrella Chapman (admin@brightphones.co.uk) would like to be paid through PayPal.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
If you are really pee'd off about it, just send the details to the VAT man, that will really destroy the business if they are charging VAT and not paying it, the tax man will have their testicles for earings.

They may also explain why you are paying VAT twice apparently.

C

Cakey

Mike......I was pee'd off when I first got the bill but Ive calmed down now so I will probably pay

W

Wolfman Woody

That's where I sent it Cakey.

Mithrander has said pretty much what I was saying, but make sure it is a lens first of all and not a piece of wood wrapped in bubble wrap.

Did you pay with a credit card?