Recommendations for Waterproofs

T

Terry Ellis

I am looking to get some new waterproofs. I want a matching jacket and bib and brace or overtrousers. I don't need a built in fleece as I want to be able to wear it in the summer as well. I have looked through the reviews on this site and there was not a lot there. I want something that will not leak in a severe downpour and will stay waterproof for at least 5 years. I have been recommended the Preston Innovations Drifish 1000 by a tackle shop. It costs £200 but I don't mind paying that if it is as good as they make out. Does anyone have such a suit and is it that good? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've just done a review of the Prestons Drifish 500 (should appear onsite very soon).

Last Monday I stood on the banks of Throop for 30+ mins in the heaviest "big" rain I've seen fora long time followed by a battering of hailstones some the size of golf balls............

........and stayed dry and warm (didn't catch tho!)

The 1000mm should therefore be pretty good!

Excellent product.

W

Wolfman Woody

Korum's Allweather Lightweight suit sounds about right for you.

Unlined for spring summer and autumn wear and you can zip in a fleece.

About £130 - waterproof (10,000mm) and breathable (3,000mm). look <a href='http://www.korum.co.uk/pdf/page36-43.pdf' target='_blank'>here (you need Adobe Acrobat reader - it's free to download) a few pages down
</a>

TheNomadicOne

Reaction score
Garbolino Squad II jacket & bib and brace if you want the nearest you are going to get to Gore-Tex without actually buying Gore-Tex. Breathable & bib & brace has removing 3/4 length liner for when it gets cold. You can pick up the complete 3 piece suit (jacket, b&B and windstopper type fleece if required that zips into the jacket) for under £150. I have had a lot of clothing in the past 10 years including genuine Gore-Tex and value for money, it is the best available. I stood in my garden testing mine with the wife directing a pressure washer at me from around 3m away for 15 minutes without a single drop of moisture coming through. Also the material is very quiet when moving around, unlike the unlined Korum breathable suit (was going to get one of these until I felt the material and thought it felt very cheap and not that hard wearing compared to others available).

If it gets dirty, then it can be washed with Nikwax Techwash and then tumble dried on a low heat to reproof it (just like Gore-Tex) without any loss in performance or waterproofing.

C

Cakey

these days I tend to use my house ,its just had a new 100 year guarentee rooffitted ,its dry and very warm !

B

Bully

As Monk - Army surplus Goretex. I have a feeling the Danish are kitted out in the best gear, but I cannot remember 100%. But basically anyone Euro one except UK!

Of course if you want to look like a tackle tart then go for 3 times the price and a monogram!!

W

Wolfman Woody

"But basically anyone Euro one except UK!"

That's only when they send troops to desert regions in jungle camo, Bully.

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

B

Bully

That was it, Norway. Supposedly the best kitted out army - all 3 of them.

T

Terry Ellis

Many thanks to all those who replied to my request. I decided that I would consider the Korum all weather lightweight and the Garbolino Squad 2. I went to Veals, the main Tackle shop in Bristol to look at them. They had the Korum suit but not the Garbolino. I was a bit worried about the bright blue colour of the Garbolino and the Korum suit looked to be what I wanted so I bought that. I will do a revue on it after it has had at least a year's use.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"German ex army stuff is good and available for a knock down price on ebay"

Don't buy it --it's full of holes.............

ChrisM (ACA)

Reaction score
I go for the ex-army stuff. But I did see the Korda Klimate Kontrol suit in a shop the other week and was VERY impressed with it. I'm a keen skier and would be happy to ski in it!

paul shaw 3

Reaction score
protak gear is good used mine 4 a season now and no probs look's good too

Reaction score
I recently bought the Sundridge Blizzard bib 'n' brace, plus jacket with zip out fleece.The items are waterproof and breathableand Climax Tackle are knocking theseout for £50 . You know with Sundridge that the items will do exactly what they're supposed to and they'll last.

Dave

C

Cakey

I got a Sundridge IQ which was so good I got a secondone just for walking the dog

Ive been through the winter with just a tee shirt under it .........superb

Quiver man

Reaction score
I've had a sundridge blizzzard for over a year now and while its not very warm, its very dry- breathes well too and I use the bib and brace all year round. If you MUST have goretex but dont want army stuff (which is permatex anyway) try Dewalt stuff (have a look on google or ebay). Its 2 ply goretex trousers and jacket for around £150 if you look hard enough. Problem being they only do trousers rather than a bib n brace but if you can live with that, must be a bargain.

Oh forgot - try www.strauss-direct.co.uk they do a sympatex suit (same as some foreign army gear) for around a ton (maybe a bit more but you will get a bib n brace for that money)plus Lowa boots for decent money too.