New tips.....

njb51

Reaction score
You see it all the time in the weeklies, monthlies and on television. These anglers that have come up with a 'new' way of fishing!

I was watching a re-run of the Greater Rod Race last night. Matt and Mick were going for barbel on some river somewhere, usual banter as they do. Then the conversation turned to Matt's 'NEW' method for catching barbel.

The 'Time Bomb' rig. Apparently, Matt starting developing this method around 3-4 years ago and now it has become the 'norm' when it comes to barbel fishing. So new infact, Mick Brown had never used this method before.

Sounds spectacular right? A new way of thinking?

NO!

This 'New' method consists of plugging the end of an open ended feeder with groundbait, putting some loose pellets in the middle, then plugging the other end up and casting in!

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but that is NOT a new method. He hasn't developed anything. Yet he acts like he is some kind of fishing god!

I'm not just knocking Matt here, I see it all the time!

The Monk

Reaction score
I doubt very much it there is anything really new in fishing

B

Bully

Is this a new program though or a re-run of one years ago?

But I tend to agree, and its why I do not buy publications any more......I just get everything off here /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

John Essex collects all sorts of pictures and adverts for his angling history lectures and he says there's very little that's new in angling. Probably someone was using the bolt rig in 1895, but he just didn't happen to be sponsored by anyone then.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I think what he does say about the groundbait that he plugs the feeder with, is that the groundbait explodes and forces the freebies out of the feeder. Oh no it doesn't, not to the extent that he is trying to make out anyway.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The only way to empty a feeder is to cast in and count it down. Then jerk the feeder backwards just before it hits bottom.

Paul Boyle 2

Reaction score
Hiya baz mate how do you know when the feeder hits bottom sounds silly but sometimes i cannot tell,recently ive been trying to read the river bed,looking for bottom features in the hope of finding barbel,i realise this will take time and a lot of practice..any thoughts anyone...........

Im sure this will provide more fish and less blanks when the going gets tough.

paul

captain carrott

Reaction score
Probably someone was using the bolt rig in 1895.

yes it was ron.

on the subject of there's nothing new. there's quite a few ideas i've come up with myself that when i wention them to some one else it' turns out that other people have been doing them for ages.

how do you know when the feeder hits bottom hold the line taught when you cast in, when the tension drops off the line and the tip springs back the feeder has hit bottom.

teddy bear MBE

Reaction score
If all the presenters and writers were truthful and said there is nothing new in fishing how would they make a living?

The thing to remember though is that not every angler has been at it for years and the information provided by the said writers and presenters is bound to be helpful to some.

Us bears don't need any advice we've been catching fish without any help for years.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Paul, do as CC says.

Try tying an arsely bomb directly onto your line and cast it around the swim, count it down to the bottom, one second per foot is a good guidline for depth.

With practise you will notice shallows and deeper holes.

Good luck.

Bye the way, ask Andy Nellist about his hookless hook rig that he is pioneering.

That's a new one /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

njb51

Reaction score
I think my issue is more in the fact that these people try and come across like they have just re-invented fishing!

It's all well and good passing on tips and advice to new comers and people just generally trying to learn. But don't try and make out as if you've spent years in the shed at the bottom of your garden, thinking about and developing this method, when you clearly haven't!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think it more likely that it is 'new' to the people that write about it and it would certainly be 'new' to those just setting out but silly old fogies like me have probably been using it for years. Having said that there are new methods and these are developed because there are new materials available, I am thinking PVA bags here as one example but there are others.

teddy bear MBE

Reaction score
I fully agree but I suppose that it's always possible that they don't read what other writers say and really believe that they have come up with a new idea. (just trying to be charitable ).

The Monk

Reaction score
In one way of course its good that these guys should write about these new ideas, its nice to remember what most of us forgot about a long time ago

teddy bear MBE

Reaction score
You speak for yourself Mr Monk some of us /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gifare not as old as you.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Paul.

Jerking the feeder backwards just before it touches down only applies to stillwaters. On a river. the flow will empty it for you. And that is when I tend to use a stiffer mix than usual to slow the emptying down.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

On inventions. Who invented the mag alligner?