Kameleon Leadcore

M

Malcolm Bason

The manufacturers, Big Fish Adventure, claim this product changes colour in the water - taking on the colour from its surroundings by absorbing minute particles of sediment, etc, thus making itself virtually invisible!

Do you first of all believe this to be another sales gimmick or not?

Secondly, I like the opinions please, of those who have used it?

For instance: Is it what it's hyped up to be? How do you personally make it a safe rig and not a death rig? And so on and so forth.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated.

R

Rob Brownfield

Any lead core that is light coloured and open braided will do this. Just rub silt, mud, whatever over it and it takes on that colour. Does not work with dark stuff though.

I personnaly would not bother with it as I am sure you will find it cheaper else where. Bare in mind you can buy 100 yards of lead core from a speciallist fly fishing shop for ?25.

P

Paul Thompson

Malc,
I've been using it all season, after swapping from the nash version. It does take on silt etc, and will discolour nicely after a couple of sessions.
I feel more confident using it than tubing, but I also backlead whenever I can too. I have found it very sucessful at Furzton(MKAA), when fishing over particle beds.
I always fish a running lead, using two esp 8mm beads as buffers on the swivel. I have experimented using loop knots and Keith Moors clinch knot (I think Thats the one..)
to join it to the main line, and both work well.
All in all, not a bad product.Not cheap as Rob states though.
Paul T.(ex donkey walloper);-)

M

Malcolm Bason

Thanks Paul. But I did'nt really want to use a running lead set-up, as I would not be confident my bait would be presented how I wanted it, for fear of the lead riding above the leadcore and on to the mainline.

For those that don't know, this leadcore is already spliced one end and attached (spliced again) to a swivel the other end, and which has a rubber 'thingy' partially covering it, I presume to help prevent tangles? The hookleangth is then attached to this swivel. And the mainline attached, obviously to the spliced loop.

By threading the spliced end of the Kameleon Leadcore through the swivel of a lead, the said swivel fits snugly onto the rubber 'thingy'. Now, I'm not sure if this is what it is designed for?

With the lead sitting in place it should not come off on the cast, nor should it ride up above the leadcore, but should come off easily enough if the line breaks and it snags, allowing the fish to swim free!

I don't use barbed hooks, so the fish would (hopefully) be able to shed it reasonably quickly, and not end up tethered!

I like the idea of using it as an alternative to my present leadcore set-up; that of Fox leadcore and korda Safety-Clip. But I want to make sure that I have the safety aspect of this right first?

Any further comments would be greatly appreciated?

P

Paul Thompson

Malc, I take your point. However, I can't say that the lead doesn't ride up after the cast, as I have no way of knowing.I can only assume that it doesn't.I haven't had any problems with bite indications etc. The only way to know for yourself is to give it a try mate. If the lead does ride up, it shouldn't affect the rig too much as the leadcore will pin down anyway.
As for the rubber thingy (ooer missus..), its a tulip bead. I take both this and the small(and in my opinion, inadequate)swivel, and replace it with a larger one.
The running rig has proved itself to work for me, and I have switched to using running leads for 99% of my carping now. There are no 100% safe rigs, but a running lead is almost there.
Cheers
The donkey walloper...

M

Malcolm Bason

"The donkey walloper..."

The mind boggles!! LOL

Cheers mate.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hey paul - did'nt you say once you were a copper? Perhaps you are referring to you Truncheon? Oops - sorry Wendy!

P

Paul Thompson

Malc,
These days I prefer a 23" extendable baton, but I can also use the 24" side handled baton, and the solid arnold...
The donkey walloper (nothing to do with truncheons):eek:)

M

Malcolm Bason

"24" side handled baton" - hey Paul, was'nt it a copped called 'Boatman' who brought the side handled baton in and tested it first in the Northants police? I think thats right - he (many years ago) used to run a Kung Fu class in Daventry - my missus punched him on the nose! LOL

P

Paul Thompson

Malc, I haven't a clue mate, sounds about right though! Funny how these threads turn out. This one could run and run, and will eventually have sod all to do with fishing....oops here already..

I'm glad my missus can't do UDT, she's so sodding clumsy, lots of people could get seriously hurt LOL (including me if she reads this..)

Donkey walloper...........:)