Tungsten putty + PVA sticks

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Hi all,

After purchasing some rig putty, and being told to put it on the hooklinks to pin it down, transfering pva sticks down the hoolink has become rather irritating. By this i mean that as the stick reaches where i put the putty, it crumples up and slides down to the hook - with the stick behind it.
What im asking is that, how do - for example - the korda lads, or any of you lot that are successful in not doing in what i have trouble with, manage to slide their pva stick PAST the putty blob without it shifting down towards the hook?

Thanks for any help, CMM.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Why do you feel the need to use rig putty on a hooklength with a stick? The stick mix on breakdown will do a reasonable job of disguising and pinning down your hooklength as it is. I wouldn't even attempt to use putty and sticks. If I did, I'd have to be prepared to remove and reapply the putty each time I rigged up a fresh stick.

cg74

Reaction score
Why do you feel the need to use rig putty on a hooklength with a stick? The stick mix on breakdown will do a reasonable job of disguising and pinning down your hooklength as it is. I wouldn't even attempt to use putty and sticks. If I did, I'd have to be prepared to remove and reapply the putty each time I rigged up a fresh stick.

Spot on there and reading Sam's last sentence, might explain why the Korda sponsored anglers keep using a product when it really isn't needed; think about it.....

Wooly

Reaction score
Hi all,

After purchasing some rig putty, and being told to put it on the hooklinks to pin it down, transfering pva sticks down the hoolink has become rather irritating. By this i mean that as the stick reaches where i put the putty, it crumples up and slides down to the hook - with the stick behind it.
What im asking is that, how do - for example - the korda lads, or any of you lot that are successful in not doing in what i have trouble with, manage to slide their pva stick PAST the putty blob without it shifting down towards the hook?

Thanks for any help, CMM.

I had the same problem when fishing pop ups anchored by a split shot below the eye of the hook. The solution is simple, take a pencil with you in your tackle box. Push this through the centre of the stick to create a bigger hole. Thread the hooklink through this in the usual manner, taking care as you pass it over the shot, or, putty. Pull the hook into the end of the stick as usual and you are ready to go. Hope this helps, tight lines.

Simon K

Reaction score
Simple really, don't thread the hooklink through the stick end to end. Push the needle through at an angle so it comes out halfway along the stick instead.

When you pull the link through, the shot/putty won't go into the stick, pull your hook into the bottom of the stick as normal then tighten, the shot/putty will be tight to the outside. Does that make sense?

Obviously make your stick an inch or two shorter than you normally would to allow for the curve on the hooklink.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Thanks everyone who actually helped. Wooly, that's a great idea! and Simon, thats a very intuitive idea - havent heard that one before. thanks.

Simon K

Reaction score
CMM, it's on the first Korda DVD part 1. I watched a bit of it earlier on youtube and then happened to see this thread! :)

terry m

Reaction score
Forget the putty and use sinkers (Korda I am afraid), they slide onto the hooklength and are movable dependant on the exact rig you are using. Do not bother with the small or medium sized ones, they are so small they make no difference, use the large ones and they will pull through a stick bag if teased carefully without moving up the hooklength.