Pre-Baiting a New Water

Sapper 069

Reaction score
Hy Guys ,i havejust received my DecemberTotal carp Mag and came across an article about pre-baiting a water over the winter months ready for the start of the season.

Being a beginner, I have two questions ,

1. Can you just wonder into a water a start pre-baiting ?

2. Whats your thoughts on pre-baiting ready for the new season ?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Hello Sapper.

There are a few schools of thought on pre-baiting. But it would be more helpfull to us if we knew how big the water was.

In answer to your first question, that depends on if their is a closed season on this water, and if their is, do the owners allow pre-baiting during the closed season?

Sapper 069

Reaction score
Cheers for that lads , its not that i thought of it , its just that as a beginner you tend to read everything thats about.

The lake i have started fishing ,only been twice, is only 4 1/2 acres and is well stocked with fish to 34lb (they net it every year and can tell you almost to the fish how many and what size) i have been informed that it is well over fished through the summer months (20 swims in total).

It is owned by a family and they close it down on the 1 dec until the 1 mar , but i just couldnt see them letting tom , **** and cakey walking around the place feeding god knows what through there close season.

But from what you are saying that some places do!!!!!

F

Frothey

wouldnt bother, they will be on the munch in march (normally) - just make sure you stick to the same bait for a season or two....

C

Cakey

if you are allowed to loose feed then you have to do some work to find out what works best.

i.e. hemp or pellets or sweetcorn or boilies etc or a mixture or all

C

Cakey

but I'm the same as Frothey a tight git and don't bother no more and it hasn't affected my catch rate

Sapper 069

Reaction score
Thats good enough for me lads , couldnt see the point of baiting an area and someone else coming along on the opening day, and sat on my peg LOL.

After only starting Carp fishing for just over a month , I think Ive sorted it all out.

In the winter use Fruity baits and not fishy spicy ones or is use fishy spicy ones and not fruity.

Dont use lots of feed in winter but put lots of feed in.

Change your baits for different swims and waters but keep with the bait what works for you.

Use oilly pellets with not much oil.

SIMPLE REALLY ISNT IT, OR HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

On the question of baiting a swim and turning up to see somebody else on it. Yep, the chances are that will happen a lot. But what you have to bare in mind is that if the angler in your baited swim is catching, that means that the fish have most likely been attracted by your bait. So just keep drip feeding them in around the lake.

C

Cakey

naa youve got it.....what works one day dont work the next ,what works on one lake dont work on the next lake blah blah

its what I said you have a bit of work to do

Sapper 069

Reaction score
Nice one Baz , told you this fishing lark was easy. Seriously though Baz , i think thats why i am starting to really get into the carp fishing, there is no right or wrong way, its just what works on the day. But how nice to plan your day , stick to and catch , BRILL