Just a Thought?

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear All,

I believe in the internet, the angling related internet especially. In fact, I'm quite passionate about this medium so contribute fairly regularly. My belief in this meduim gets constantly reafirmed by sites like this for the increadible amount of information it contains. Always fresh and always vibrant, a good place for all anglers to visit with dry boots when we are not out amid our favourite watery places. Many of course contribute to this site in all sorts of ways which makes it the interesting and informative place it is.

But I was wondering, if the contributions we make ourselves could perhaps be harnessed to do some good for others far less fortunate than ourselves. And with the season of good will to all mankind looming I thought I'd suggest something or debate it at leastto see if it had possibilities?

FM undoubtedly has within its members some increadible angling talent and many great writers perhaps not known as names within the angling press. Would it then be possible under the FM auspices to write a FM book where the FM members themselves offered to do short stories for it and we/FM get it published where any profits made get donated to good causes of our/FM choice? In fact, such an endevour "could" become a Christmas initiative when we/FM undertook to do a similar thing each year? It need not be a glossy expensive to publish type of thing just a simple styled book that was cram packed with quality short angling stories with perhaps the odd illustration to add colour to its pages? Hell, such a thing could even become a must have thing at Christmas and a great idea for a stocking filler for the galls to buy their angling partners? Plus like I say it gives the caring FM galls and guys a chance to do something for others less fortunate than ourselves?

So what does Graham and the rest of you think?

Regards,

Lee.

S

Sean Meeghan

Bit late for Christmas Lee, but I'd certainly be up for it. Maybe a tasteful line drawing at the start of each chapter?

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I think it's very good idea, FM certainly has some very talented writers...but who is good at drawing?

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Sean,

Well done that man!

Yes its too late for this year but that gives us a whole year to get pieces in plus illustrations which I'd actually like to see done by either the contributors or FM people that aren't perhaps gifted with the pen but are red hot with a brush or ink pendoing the line drawings?

I'm already conjuring up this picture in my mind of a row of books, a complete set of the FM book of angling stories on the shelves of my angling library. Lets not forget the galls as there's some cracking female writers on here.

Regards,

Lee.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Claudia,

I've been known to do the odd painting and line drawing having gone into graphic design when leaving school. Builder/stone mason now which demonstrates how lifes path can go dreadfully wrong!

My mate Chris Turnbull doesn't do a bad doodle when he decides to sharpen his pencil. Come on Chris I know you're out there somewhere.

Regards,

Lee.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Dear Lee,

Sorted then!!! Jolly good.

Sadly I have no talent in either, writing or drawing but as said before, there are some superb writers here on FM...all different styles, informative, witty, hilarious, evocative. All we need to fill a book of good fishing stories.

(or even more books)

F

Fred Bonney

What about fromthe existing FM library?

It could be a starting point for number 1.

Deanos

Reaction score
A brilliant idea Lee!...I would buy it!

Come on Granville, get cracking with it, you are sat doing nowt as usual...TROT ON!

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Fred whilst not disagreeing with what you say (What's happening to me /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif) there might be an issue of copyright to deal with. And each piece selected would have to have the permission of the author of it.

In the spirit of Lee's suggestion, I here by give permission for FM to use any of my pieces if they are selected to feature in such a publication.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I can see an element of innocence on the book publishing front.

To get a book published first persuade a publisher to publish it (could take from a week! to six months).

Then get the contributions together and edit to get consistency. (min six months more likely one year)

Sort out illustrations. (Additional three months)

Deliver book.

Book publisher edits and designs, and prints (6 - 12 months).

Books like this (Red Letter Days is a prime example) have been published but it took an enormous effort on the part of Pete Rogers to bring it all together over at least a couple of years. Even if you simplify it you will be lucky to do it in less than a year.

The first book project I did with Graham has taken 17 months from proposal to publication; the second will be considerably more than that. The third is a twinkle in Granville's eye but could result in a proposal next year to the publisher. Bear in mind that we have found a willing publisher, and that the type of book proposed would not necessarily be easy to place.

So, yes it's possible but much more difficult than it seems!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

If Lee or someone else is willing to take on the organisation of publishing such a book (with a publishing house or self published) I would certainly do all I could to support it with contributions and anything else. Publishing a book does take a long time but let's not let that put us off.

C

Cakey

I had a calendar idea and talk a few into ......................................wheres it gone ?

is it still happening ?

only 2 1/2 months to the close season !

F

Fred Bonney

I'm sure that's right Phil,just another little job to do.

Me too,worried that is!

Oh,and for what it's worth, mine too,pieces that is.

W

Wolfman Woody

It is possible to get the book published by ourselves (FM member's donations, let's say), but then getting it out to the wider public could be the problem.

I'd contribute if I measured up to it.

Suggest the proceeds might go here - well deserved.

PS. it must have a funny one from the one and only Deanos. I insist!

M

Mark Hodson

A selection of previous FM articles under a "best of" sort of titlewould be a nice touch.

The Monk

Reaction score
I think a nice touch would be some pieces on some of the successful fish ins, and maybe a ladies wet t-shirt section (that should sell a few)

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Lee

For what is worth, you are more thanwelcome to the entire 'TickleTackle' back catalogue. You could have the entire'Donald and Damien' sagatoo, but no bugger has ever wanted to publish them..........!

The Monk

Reaction score
no thats a bad idea, it would make the rest of us look crap/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

unless he writes a new one featuring ......................Monk and Cakey