Tweed Salmon

• Thread starter Colin North, the one and only
  • Start date
C

Colin North, the one and only

My wife Sue and I have just come back from a week of fishing the Tweed at Yair.

Jolly hard work, with fluctuating water levels, never te same on any day, with a low of 1'3" and a high of 2'9" over the guage.

Sue caught a Brown Trout of about 2 1/2lb (out of season) on morning ofthe first day, lasooed around its tail. It was released unharmed. 10 minutes later a Salmon followed her fly and just turned away at the very last second. We thought that we were in for a good week. However, that proved not to be the case, because of water level and temperature fluctuation, and a very strong North wind towards the end of the week.

On Friday last, I caught a 14lb fish, clean as a whistle, unlike most of the other fish that were showing. It took a 1'1/2" copper tube dressed in the style of a very dark Willie Gunn, on the very first cast in a pool called "Back of the Wall" and I was using a Sink Tip line.

This fish proved to be the only one taken on our beat (12 or 13 named pools x 8 rods rotaing at 1 p.m.) although I saw two fish hooked and heard of a third, on the opposite bank.

Salmon fishing can beso hard at times.