Do you....?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
....walk past litter (fishing related or not) on your way to or back from your swim.

Do you hate it ?

Do you pick it up and bin it?

Or keep walking tutting under your breath?

beerweasel

Reaction score
I always clear up the swim before fishing as I can't fish surrounded rubbish.
It annoys me to hell to see how much is left on a city park from the night before, and it's not just yobs.
I've seen suited gents do lunch then just walk away. :mad:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I always clear up the swim before fishing as I can't fish surrounded rubbish.
Same here, it's club rules, but what the hell, you do it anyway if you're a right thinking person.

Other places, well ... I found a huge bag the other day filled with a load of supermarket bags dumped in our woods. I picked it up and put it in a rubbish bin a couple hundred yards away. Why would someone dump it?

However, saw a bag/box of waste food in the road that someone had chucked out of their car and I left it. I am not a fully paid street cleaner and anyway, it only temps the dog to have a go if I go near it.

peterjg

Reaction score
I also can't fish surrounded by litter and end up picking up their rubbish and I end up furious by these brain-dead cretins (unfortunately there are a lot out there). It's not just 'anglers' ( I use the term loosely), it's boaters, hikers, in fact all sorts. What I really can't understand is the dog owners who go to the bother of putting their dogs excrement in a plastic bag and then deliberately dropping it further along the bank - truly amazing?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot stand litter regardless of where it came from.

If encountered on the river bank (a rare occurrance on my syndicate stretch to be honest) then it goes into a bag I carry for my own discards.

Most of the stillwater I fish are administered by clubs and the rules are to clear away any litter before you begin fishing.
Any litter then found by the bailiffs will result in the loss of your membership card.

I've also been known to chase down a car that sped through my village depositing milk shake cups (of the Big Mac variety) and when catching them at the lower end of the village tipping them back through the windows that they opened to talk to me!
Dirty little scallys!

One of the things you really notice here in Paris is the virtual total lack of litter anywhere.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'd pick it up, as Jeff says it's club rules but I'd do it anyway. As yet I have not had a need to pick up any litter up on club waters.
Jerry

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have recently taken up the practice of spending 5 mins clearing up all rubbish in the swim after fishing. Regardless of who it is (just dont think about it) and wherever it is. 5mins payback for the pleasure if sitting in the countryside as I see it.

waggler

Reaction score
It's imperative to clear up what you can whether its yours or not in my opinion.
Not only does it take away from the tranquility of your fishing but it has serious knock on effects for the wildife and fish, particularly cigarette butts!
Fishing Litter Kills Fish
For those not in the know of the harm they are causing by leaving litter and cig butts check out the above article...

BarryC

Reaction score
I allways pick up litter but I do draw the line at picking up little plastic bags full of dog s**t.
Are dog walkers the filthiest or not?
They pick the stuff up to look good to anyone around then when nobody's looking throw it in the hedge.

peterjg

Reaction score
There is a tree in a park in Hemel where dog owners hang up their bags of dogs muck - it looks like a weird Christmas tree - lost for words .....

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
When you are picking up litter, especially bait bags/tins or groundbait bags, remember that Rats will probably have already 'picked' them over.

maceo

Reaction score
I too pick up litter from other people when I see it by the bank, but that's not so often in the places I fish.

Reading the article about cigarette butts linked to by Waggler was interesting. I must confess to trampling the ocassional butt into the mud in the past when fishing, but I'll try to remember to take some kind of ashtray with me after reading that.

Mind you, I was a bit sceptical about some of the 'facts' reported in that article. It was no surprise that tobacco will turn water brown (anyone who's had to clear up the morning after a heavy party will have seen that in empty glasses etc). What I did think was a bit strange was the part which said:-

One study in America in San Diego University showed how a single cigarette butt with a little tobacco left can turn a litre of water a sickly yellow brown colour in one day and kill 50% of the fish swimming in it!

So how many fish were swimming in this one litre of water then? It was a bit of a silly and cruel test to kill those fish because the result could easily be expected. I imagine that if you dropped a rowntree's fruit pastille, a slice of marmite toast, or a milion and one other household articles things into that tiny amount of water with fish swimming in it, then it would kill them.

Sometimes they're over dramatic with their anti-smoking stuff and it spoils their case a bit when it gets ridiculous. Make your case, fine. But don't over-exaggerate.

terry m

Reaction score
Would urge utmost care picking up bags, they have been known to contain needles!

As for the dog sh1t brigade, they really are mindless d1cks. They pick up the sh1t when someone maybe watching, then fling it down when they are out of sight. Revolting morons!