Keeping the old piggies warm.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
For this winterschub fishing,roaming and trudging through mud,i am thinking of investing ina pair of the john wilson wanderer type boot.The question is though,what to wear on the old feet insidethe boots??? Cold hands i can put up with when winter fishing butcold feet and piggies(toes)just get on my jollops!!!

Are neoprene type socks all they`re cracked up to be??? or do i go down to my local country store or camping shopand purchase some good old thermal/woollen winter warmers???

Who wears what and why???

Reaction score
I wear a pair of thick woven synthetic socks (polyester) plus a thick pair of wool socks. The synthetic sock helps wick sweat away from the skin, which would cool the foot if left in contact. Just avoid cotton - it holds moisture. Not sure about neoprene but thinking of trying it to see if it is any better.

That's your feet sorted, I'm more concerned about your jollops!

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

I got a pair of those TFG camo (I know, I know.... /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif) high lace all weather Primal boots

http://www.totalfishinggear.co.uk/TFGIndex.cfm?CFID=8737&CFTOKEN=77b12e0aec27f165-8B2BB86C-0D65-DC75-0B661E08065DD06A

just about this time last year and, although it has to be accepted that the intervening winter was hardly the worst on record, I found them to bloody brilliant. Lightweight and flexible, a pleasure to wear, and yet toasty warm and waterproof with only a pair of ordinary sports socks on. Previous to this my old hiking boots froze to my leg with a pair of silk socks on under skiiing hi-tec socks etc. These were a revelation and I unhesitatingly recommend them.

Only defect is that the black plastic toecap cover bits split (fairly rapidly I will say, did think about returning them then and there, but glad I didn't) in a crack either side of each toe where my piggies flex on points (light and delicate as Nureyev I'll have you know) but that hasn't had any effect on function, its not a waterproofing element, just a kick protector on the outside.

And usual disclaimers, Matt Hayes doesn't know me, I don't have shares in him (I wish) etc etc etc

Damn, just occurred to me I should have done a product review on these beasties, give me a chance of winning an unfeasibly expensive Barbel rod before Deanos completes cornering the market.... oh well.

PS. Put TFG into google and you also get 'Time for God'.... - Has the power of his multi millions gone to Matt Hayes's head or what ???? /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Nope, my link doesn't work for me either ! But that's the right piccy and the right bootee.....

(tho its a good idea to get the left bootee to go with the right one as well /forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif)

The Monk

Reaction score
for years I wore womens tights for fishing, not because of any fetish or perverse reason but because they kept your legs warm, these days its a set of longjohns and a thermal one piece

Adrian Thirkill

Reaction score
Something that seems to work for me
M&S do a new range of natural content thermal socks which I have been using over the top of a thin wool pair. Its important for your feet to breathe in much the same way as the rest of your body as sweat evaporates and causes them to cool - and again is about layering hence two pairs. I always then wear a pair of thick Neoprene le Chameau wellies over the top (which I have had for 12 years !)

Y

yoggy

Me ol mucker, get yourself a pair of Sealskinz socks. They really are the dogs danglies.

Ray Mears wears them,that should tell you they`re good!!!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I`ll ask "er indoors" where she got them from. Give you a bell later.

The Monk

Reaction score
I must say though the last time I bought a pair of tights I bought them from a shop in a rough council estate in Liverpool and they asked me what head size I was/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

T

teecee

I have always found a trip to a Ski-wear shop worthwhile-I always wear lined ski trousers or salopets(?)with longjohns(silk) which work a treat.

It seems to me that skiers sweat and then sit(or just sit)so anything they wear must be worth considering....................including jackets which are great for wandering as they arefairly lightweight

B

billy barbel

I got some hot foot boots from erics angling last year they are brilliant,a bit chunky and there is no left or right foot to them but my feet have never been cold through the winter.I hink they are sundrigde.

D

david bruce 1

I have been using these boots for 3 years now. I have even stood in the water in the margins of the fast flowing R Dane in winter and my feet have not got chilled after 30 minutes with only ordinary socks on. They may feel a little big at first but walking in them is no problem and the grip is good. Swifty's fishing tackle stock them. Eiger Sirius Boots£39.99 £31.99
pixel_trans.gif

EIGERSIRIUSBOOTS.jpg

- Specially developed for the extreme winter conditions of Canada and Northern Scandinavia
- Probably the warmest fishing boot on the market
- Hand made in natural rubber
- Tested at -45 degree celsius comfort temperature
- Equipped with adjustable snow guard
- Insulated by removable flex-foil covered thinsulate lining
- Rubber compound contains anti-coldness element
- Will not be stiff or crack in extreme conditions
- Steel shank for maximum stability
- Available in size 7-12Available Options:
Boot Size: 10 11 12 7 8 9

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
David,i used to have a pair of the eiger boots and i must say that they were excellent in the warmth dept,flexibility,easy and comfortable to walk in and very keenly priced.Trouble was though that mine hadsplit in a couple of places unknown to me until i walked into the shallows on a tributary of the nene... so in the bin they went!!! Perhaps it was the way they were stored that caused the rubber to perish etc.....any thoughts on that folks???

The mrs is gonna buy me some sealskinz for chrimbo,so problem solved folks!!! I have found a website that sells them for £19 and free p&p...excellent /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
"I have always found a trip to a Ski-wear shop worthwhile"

I once went in the local army and navy shop and asked the girl behind the counter did she sell rapist masks

she went spare and threw me out

I realise now they are called ski masks/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Heh He he he he he

Mind you, what would you have done if she hadn't thrown you out but instead quietly smiled and locked the shop door... on the inside.... /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

I just realised I have my black stocking 'gimp' mask fishing balaclava in the glove box of the car..... how the hell would I explain that to the officers on a stop and search ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Tell me you'll all club together for my defence.... better plead guilty to going equipped for burglary, better than the Monk alternative.... !

The Monk

Reaction score
Mind you, what would you have done if she hadn't thrown you out but instead quietly smiled and locked the shop door... on the inside.... /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

I`d probably become a regular customer/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Rickrod

Reaction score
derrie boots i've never had cold feet in them for the last five years you can get them for £35 now there also easy to walk in