balanced tackle

MASS

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and not great at fly fishing (but improving). I have treated myself to a hardy ultralite plus rod with a 6 rating, to help with my casting, which is not good, would i buy a 6 or 7 wf floating line as peoples opinions seem to differ.Also is snowbee the way to go. thanks for any advice. MASS

S

Shrek

If your rod has a #6 rating then I would buy a #6 line, and my preference would be the Snowbee XS Prestige.

wilbert

Reaction score
As a beginner you may actually be better to "over line" the rod and go for the 7# line. This will help the rod load with a shorter amount of line in the air and you will be able to cast easier. It will affect the distance that you will be able to cast but unless you are goint to be casting 25yds+ it will not be an issue for you.

Also may a suggest investing a few ££ in casting lessons with a qualified instructor, £50 to £60 sould by you 2 hrs or so of top class tuition which will get you upto speed.

S

Shrek

IMHO, if you decide to go for a lessons from a qualified instructor (something I would highly recommend) I doubt he would suggest "over lining" the rod as this could lead to bad habits from the start with respect to timing of the cast etc.

Also, how would you know if your rod could cope with being overlined? It would bea costly way to find out if, when you first tried it, your rod snapped and you then had to fork out for repairs.

Just my two penneth....

wilbert

Reaction score
Adrianover lining the rod will not cause it to break. You are only stepping up 1 line rating which will allow you to fish with a shorter line and load the rod quicker in much the same way as a shooting head set up. When you have just bought a Hardy Ultralite then you can afford to buy a line for £30 ish to use when learning, this can then be sold on ebay so it wont cost much in that respect.

S

Shrek

Crikey, you sound like Toad of Toad Hall with his motor cars.....PEEP PEEP!!!!!

wilbert

Reaction score
Crikey, you sound like Toad of Toad Hall with his motor cars.....PEEP PEEP!!!!!

Just telling it how it is/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

When sea trout fishing at night I will go 1 or even 2 line rating higher so thatI dont have to false cast to get enough line out to load the rod, this helps when you are fishing in tight spaces with limited space for a back cast, it aslo makes it easeir to perform a spey cast with a single handed rod.

The line rating on a rod is not a hardand fast ruleit is just a guideline to what the designer thought the rod performed at its optimum and as most beginners will not be casting at the high end of the spectrum thenI see no harm in going 1 line rating higher to make things a little easier. It will not affect the timing of the cast that much to cause a detrimental effect. Line ratings are worked out with a set number of grammes over a set length of the line so 20 yds of a 7# will weigh no more than 25 yds of a 6# line but will load the rod just the same. Well this is how its done on paper but in the real world not all manufacturers produce lines to the same standard so not all 6# lines are equal just as not all rods are equal.

Arian if you are going to try and put a witty reply to this at least have the knowledge to backit up with!!!

S

Shrek

And I'm sure a beginner will be confident in working that length of line out so they could false cast the right amount of a higher line weight to be able to load the rod efficiently. If your theory of overlining is so correct then why are manufacturers making lines two-toned in colour. Forgive my "lack of knowledge" but I would have thought that would be to allow the beginner to know, without a shadow of a doubt, when the full head of the line is outside of the rod tip and thereby letting them know then their rod will be adequately loaded so as to cast efficiently.

Also, with your superior knowledge, I would have thought that your range of casts would have included a Snap T or Steeple Cast to have been able to cope with the fishing scenarios you so often find yourself in so you didn't have to over line to get your fly(ing C) out there.

Just my two penneth again and I'm more than happy to be disproved and bow to your superior wisdom.

wilbert

Reaction score
For starters I dont always overline the rod only in certain circumstaces where short cast are required or when fishing a tree lined pool with no space for a back cast. I often use a shooting head set up for sea trout fishing at night so thatI dont have to false cast, shooting heads are just a short "overlined" length of line.Over lining a rod allows the rod to load with less line out of the tip, most beginners struggle at first to arealise a long line so this is a good way of them gaining confidence and also learning how to shoot line. Most beginners will benifit from going 1 line rating higher.I only fishwith the fly and dont use flying C's, spinning is for those that cant cast a fly. I live within 1/2 mile of a very good salmon and sea trout river and have access to many miles of fishing and to get into the best spots then sometimes you have to alter the way you fish / castthe fly.

Most of the 2 tone lines are for spey casting or shooting headswhere the head length is critical due to the line profile, with any more than 2m of overhang it is almost impossible to trasfer the energy down the running line and into the belly of the line. When fishing a WF or DT line the colour change is not needed as you should be able to feel what is going on.

Never seen a snap T done with a single hander, I find it to be a prety awful cast but it has its benifits when fishing with a double hander and a skagit set up or for those that cant perform a nice single spey.

As for my range of castI have enough to cover all circumstances, with the single hander overhead cast with and without the double haul, roll cast, sing and double spey. With the double hander single and double spey (left and right handed), snake roll, roll cast, jump roll snap T / snap C. And whilst on the subject of spey casting most spey lines do not meet the ATFM rating and are in fact heavier than a dt equivilant and therfore overlined for the rod.

When have the time tryto learn from those with more experience and an open mind. You stick to what the manufactures tell you, play safe and be a novice all your life. 90% of fish are caught by 10% of anglers I will let you saty with the majority!!

S

Shrek

Why thank you for your kind words, I'm sure they'll have a place in my fly repertoire somewhere.......!!

My apologies to MASS for probably hijacking his thread.

wilbert

Reaction score
My apologies to MASS for probably hijacking his thread. Me too.

but Adrian your the one that started the personal remarks!!!!!!!!!!!

MASS

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom. Being a new member didn't mean to open a can of worms (sorry ! forgot, fly only thread ). I already have a six rated line fitted, may try a seven, but to be honest its probably my inept technique. thanks again. MASS