Decent Float Rod

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I need some float rod advice.

I've just found the joys of fishing (again) after being disillusioned over the last 10 years or so of fishing for carp.

After float fishing with a 7' spinning rod in the States and over here with my trusty Harrison Avon rod I feel like I need a dedicate float rod.

I've had a waggle of a Drennan MatchPro which felt great in the hand and some cheaper rods which were OK I suppose. I also picked up a tench float rod and immediately put it back as it felt awful.

I'll be fishing in up to 9' of water with 6lb line max. No massive chucks. Target species are roach, bream and the occassional cheeky carp that muscles in.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
what monet do you have to spend - Preston excel or C series are alway given good revies but cost £180 and £120 respectively

nearer to £70 Drennen7 series - I have the 12 foot carp waggler nice rod for he money

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I went for the Drennan floatmaster 13-15'0 and am delighted with it, a certain Mr Vimes will probably point you in the direction of the Shimano Aerocast as on sale here,

http://www.tackle2u.com/images/SalesFlyers/Tackle2U-2012-Clearance-List-24-03-2012.pdf

If it's still there in a month I might just treat myself. just out of curiosity ;)

The Greys G-Tec 15'0 felt like a rod you could fish all day with (I went for the Drennan as it gave me option of fishing the 13'0 as well).

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought the Drennan floatmaster 13-15 recently, what a nice rod. Its really light in the hand. So far I've had some nice; Rudd, Roach and Grayling plus a couple of Carp. It coped very well and handles light lines well. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I've had a waggle of the Matchpro and was really impressed. Its spec points to it being a good match for your requirements. I don't think you'd go far wrong with it, but there is a lot of competition around that price range so it will pay you to have a look at a few other rods. I wouldn't buy a rod I hadn't had at least a good waggle of in the shop and it will pay you to bring your reel along and try it before buying.

sam vimes

Reaction score
a certain Mr Vimes will probably point you in the direction of the Shimano Aerocast as on sale here,

http://www.tackle2u.com/images/SalesFlyers/Tackle2U-2012-Clearance-List-24-03-2012.pdf

If it's still there in a month I might just treat myself. just out of curiosity ;)

Nah, I'm tired of wasting my breath, just like with the Twinpower reels. Not many listen about either, those very few that have don't seem to be disappointed though. Besides, you can pick them up for less if you're patient.;)
shimano aerocast 13 ft match fishing rod with case | eBay

barbelboi

Reaction score
I had forgotten how much those twin powers were :eek:, got to leave the aerocast a month (see they've still got 13'0 and 14'0 left) as SWMBO wants the TFG compact seat box.

Thank god my wife never took an interest in fishing - I'd probably be so skint I'd still be using my solid milbro fibreglass rod and a bl00dy Mitchell:eek:mg:;)
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
Check out the Free Spirit float rods. They are an absolute joy to handle and they are available up to 15ft. Not the cheapest but a superb rod of very good quality

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Check out the Free Spirit float rods. They are an absolute joy to handle and they are available up to 15ft. Not the cheapest but a superb rod of very good quality

Second that...the FS are lovely rods. I have a Matchpro Ultralight which is a fantastic silvers rod but maybe a bit undergunned for lumps.The best allrounder I have is still my 13' Preston Carbonactive Sentient. Really will do just about anything & do it well too. Brilliant rod.

chav professor

Reaction score
Daiwa Tournament 13ft match rod. Light, crisp and a joy to play fish anything from a few ounces to puddle pigs in excess of double figures!"

Andy Pet

Reaction score
OMG. Had a play in the shop today with most of the above mentioned rods. Then one stood out in front of me. It was the Drennan 11' Ultralight. I picked it up and didn't realise I was holding it. Now I'm tempted!!!

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Although the old adage of "size doesn't matter" may apply Andy, the general concensus here is for 13'0+ rods. If you intend to buy only one float rod, I would not go shorter than this, unless I only intended fishing small rivers or streams.

Like everything else, it always comes down to personal choice.

Ian

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Although the old adage of "size doesn't matter" may apply Andy, the general concensus here is for 13'0+ rods. If you intend to buy only one float rod, I would not go shorter than this, unless I only intended fishing small rivers or streams.

Ian

100% agree.I would not contemplate anything shorter or longer for an "allround" float rod.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I picked up a 12ft Preston mini C series float rod on Saturday (I was in buying some line and coulddn't help having a look at the rods) and a 12ft maver float - the difference in weight was noticable - the Preston rod felt much lighter.

not cheap at around the 120 quid mark