Backing line

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
How often if at all do you change backing line?

I've got spools that have maybe 50 yards of backing line and 100 yards of the main line of my choice , but I'm updating by main lines to Preston Reflo power max - I've switched to the Reflo power for my hook lines, and whilst I'm stripping the reel of line I'm thinking that I'll probably get rid of the backing line, it's never seen day light but at over a year old it's time to change it.

Does anyone else change backing line each year or just leave it as mostly it will never be used?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Don't think I would bother unless I was going to use a specific spool for large pits or lakes and that's not really my scene. If there are good reasons though, I'd be interested to know, particularly as I've got four spools for an aerocast 2500 due changing and was planning using the old line as backing

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Well part of my reason for asking is am I wasting my time taking the old backing line off?

I've plenty of line that I've acquired thro angling press freebies and a large spool I was given when I bought a new reel a few years back as well as a couple of large spools of cheap line I bought just to use as backing line so there is no shortage of available backing line.
But in the past as a matter of course I've stripped a spool completely to ensure the line lay was the best possible

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Why do you think you need to change the backing line ?

Unless you are worried about catching a fish that strips you down to the backing line, then if you are anything like myself, the knot used to attach the main line to the backing line would probably fail before it could strip off any backing line anyway.

If it's purely for confidence then i would definately change it, but remember to think fo the environment before hastily changing ;-)

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I wouldnt change it, so long as it does the job it is intended for. I might add more or less backing line if i am changing the BS (or diameter) of the mainline on top of it, to fine-tune the spool so that it is filled properly. Other than that i would just want the backing line t provide a flat, even base on which to put the mainline. Only occasion i would worry about it is if there was a chance of hooking something that could strip off all the mainline - not likely where i fish.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I rarely remove backing line as it never sees the light of day and is just ‘backing line’. On a few spools I don’t use backing line at all – when I change the line I just re spool directly onto another spool so the used line is at the back and the ‘new’ stuff at the front.
Jerry

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Jerry, would you mind copying and pasting that reply on to my "Could we do More" thread that i have started in Bait Box as i think it is an excellent idea and tip that some others could perhaps benefit from.

Thanks and Regards
Steph.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
well looks like I've been wastign my time till now

thats guy - you could ahve told me years ago :D

I've got a couple of new reels coming and will try the main line as backing line on them if the line looks ok

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
What really gets me Paul, is having to use so much backing line at times.

A 2500 size spool that holds 180 yards of 8lb .... i mean is it really that necessary, most ads say that 2500 size spools are suitable for Float and Light Feeder fishing, then why such a large capacity of a Reel Spool ?

I know that some of the Reel sizes have an M after them to indicate a Match size Spool, but not many to be honest. Some spools say -: holds 120 meters of 4lb line, but when you fill it up with 4lb line you could easily fit 2 spools worth on to them.

Is it reel and line manufacturers ripping us off just so we buy more line to back fill ?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I find backing line one way to save on expensive line

I will buy cheap bulk line for backing and maybe only put 50 yards of dearer main line on the spool

I've done this with Drennan braid I use for feeder fishing - 4lb braid 50 yards on spool then fill up with cheap backing line - once the spool is full transfer to 2nd spool.

I've just ordered the Shakespear mach 3 xt reel comes with 4 spool - I'll fill 3 for fishing and save the 4th as a spare load the other 3

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've just ordered the Shakespear mach 3 xt reel comes with 4 spool - I'll fill 3 for fishing and save the 4th as a spare load the other 3 [/SIZE][/FONT]

Good call....I think you'll like that reel.

Backing? I never bother with it...I sometimes pad a spool out with a bit of plastic tape and a few spools have some ropey old braid on them but generally I just fill the spool with my line of choice. I'd rather do that than have a knot lurking about and I would never trust "the other end" of the line so reversing it is a non starter in my book.

terry m

Reaction score
As per other replies, I am not sure why anyone would change the backing line, simply because it is backing line - i.e. space filling. If there is any liklehood that the line would come into play whilst angling, then it should be treated as mainline and changed accordingly.