Weather forecast and fishing predictions

• Thread starter Evan NotMightyAtAll
  • Start date
E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

I don't know how many of you chaps use Metcheck for weather forecasting but it has a tab headed Hobbies at the top of the page, and if you go to that page you will find Fishing in the list.

Press this and you will get the days weather plus a comment box suggesting whether fishing will be great/good/average/ poor. In practice it is staggeringly inaccurate, many of my best catches on days when it says it will be poor.

But today is a classic, right now where I am, 29 - 30 mph winds and driving heavy stair rods of rain.....

Apparently right now is one of those rare occasions when the fishing will be 'Good' !!!

Lord knows what they've based their algorithms on.... no way I'm opening the door, let alone going out there.... especially not with a rod in my hand !

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

well tell em there wrong evan. i been out this morning in the wind and rain and the fishing was crap. Not a bite was had.And i got soaked lol

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

At this time of year especially, I find the only way forwards is to go out and dip your toe in the water. I was given this tip many years ago by a chap who was a weather forecaster in Saudi. He said unlike Michael Fish he never got a prediction wrong.

teddy bear MBE

Reaction score
At least you'll have the water to yourself and will be able to fish the best swims. Then when you regain your sanity you will go to the pup. So I suppose they are right, fishing will be good./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Oddly enough.

One of my best days Chub fishing was on a day when I was clinging to my brolly and sheltering from hailstone and a right old hooli of a wind. I had to give up in the end, but the Chub were haveing it like nobodys business.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I fished yesterday, blowy but clear all morning and the fishing was VERY slow, then the heavens opened up, very strong wind and sleety rain in bucketfuls and both rods went mad, and for the hour after the downpour the bites still came.

I would have thought cold rain would turn the fish off, but yesterday it was the opposite.

I think predicting weather is easier than predicting when fish will be biting.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Heavy rain = more oxygen into the water maybe ?

Either way I have loooong since stopped even bothering to look at the Metcheck fishing predictor ! Just for fun folks...

E

EC

I never look at the metcheck fishing predictor but the weather predictor has at times been stunningly accurate.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Heavy rain = more oxygen into the water maybe ?

Could have been, but it was blowing all day with a fair chop on the surface, it had peed down the night before, and the bites started within minutes of the rain starting, so I doubt it, the oxygen should have worked in during the earlier rain and wind.

I thought that the conditions would have been good for fishing in the morning, and the cold of the rain would slow them down when it started, but no, it was the reverse.

Anyway, it makes me think just go fishing when you can and ignore the predictions, you can never guess when is best for the fish, I think so many factors come into play that we could be better off just spinning a coin.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Oh yes, no two ways about that; I wouldn't look at anything else. The fishing thing is just for fun as I said, but the weather is deadly serious and more accurate than any other resource I have ever found. Compare and contrast with the BBC and ITV weather reports... waaaay behind and only roughly accurate.

Yacko

Reaction score
I’ve been checking the metcheck site and the fish forecast for a long time and also haven’t found the fishing prediction much help. In the summer it can be quite depressing as you get days & days of a ‘poor’ rating and the average or good forecasts are always when you have to work.

In the winter the ‘Good’ days are usually days when only the mad would venture out and as I’m aiming to trot a float on the river the wind would be impossible for me.

But watch out for the days that get a ‘best’ rating for if you go fishing you come home to find your roof has blown off ( This is because it’s Michael Fish who does the hobbies- fish bit, pun intended)

Cider Bob (GBs)

Reaction score
Ive found Metcheck to be bang on,almost to the hour.

Its got to the point where i religously use it,which isnt always a good thing as when I see heavy rain forecast I start to wonder "what might be on TV that day".