A lazy Thames Swim

W

Wolfman Woody

You want to see it today!

That swan would be down at the port of London by now.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Is that at the CA Jeff?Been doing a bit of night fishing downstream of Reading but the levels and temperatures have been a bit up and down so far. Its a river I'd love to get to grips with a bit more.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Not asking precise location but whereabouts on the Thames / how far up would that be ? Cos I'm thinking of a few trips to maybe have a look see in spring and that's about the 'size' or width I'd fancy having a bash on. How far up therefore do I need to go to find such conditions ? Roughly... ? Not asking for precise locations or anyone's hotspots, just a general idea.

I did quite a bit of Thames bashing in the past, some 20 odd years ago, but much much lower down under Blackfriars bridge, from both banks (Founders Arms for a pint anyone ?) with surprisingly good results on a falling tide. You have to know where to look to find the very very few water gate steps down. But beware the tide coming back in and getting cut off from getting back up thestepsto embankment level. I had to wade knee deep once and its then you appreciate just how big and powerful the Thames is down that far. Any higher than knees and I don't think I'd be here typing this now. Plusyou hadto be able to tolerate some very smelly and very fine sticky mud.... perhaps that has improved in the ensuing two decades ?

W

Wolfman Woody

No problem at all Evan. I can tell you precisely where it is, but there is a stipulation that if you're not a member of any specific single species group, e.g: Barbel Society, Chub Study, Tenchfishers, Perch Spinners, Gudgeon Gobblers or Bream Baggers then I would have to shoot you afterwards.

Tell you what, in order to keep the kill rate low and thereby avoiding the accusation of committing genocide, I'll email you.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Evan, I'd say that the middle Thames say from Staines upwards to Oxford has lots of similar water and all very accessible on the right club book.If you search the site there was a good article on Thames fishing with various club details on a while back.Jeff is your man though as its his local.I dont think anyone is going to get precious about locations as there is lots to go at. Ihave had 5 short sessions since early October and not seen another person.

W

Wolfman Woody

Right, that's it Conner, you're dead!

I've just put a fatwah on you for giving out too much information.

../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Jeff, you will just have to get used to the fact that you can't have the Thames to yourself!Mind you any more blanks and you will be welcome to it.