Ferris tech Bait Bomb

B

billy barbel

Has anybody used one of these bait bombs that claim to be revolutionary in feeder fishing ?? It looks like a very chunky and awkward piece of kit!

Mithrandir

Reaction score
not used it myself, but a friend tried one and said it was a right pain, you had to totally dry it before you recast or it would jst ping open on the bank!

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Your initial impression is correct they are chunky and awkward to use.

B

billy barbel

I had heard the bait bomb was a bit of a nightmare but a few people at our club were cracking on about how good they are etc.Think i will stick to my feeders

W

Wolfman Woody

I thought you were singing its praises at Clattercote, Andy?

Looks just like the sort of thing that just as a fish is taking an interest, it explodes and frightens everything off for yards around. I don't get it at all, the investment is far too high for the return I'll get and for that reason,

I'm out.

Deanos

Reaction score
Paul, did you have to use a microwave on the ground bait or did you find it worked (held together for casting without doing this?

Cheers, Deanos.

W

Wolfman Woody

Deanos,

It depends on the makeup of your groundbait.

I've had one for years and rarely use it now. Some mixes need hardening off in the microwave and others are firm enough to stand up by themselves. It's suck it and see time.

twitch

Reaction score
Looks intresting but you can get the same sort of thing by moulding groundbait around a standard bomb or using a method feeder. Just depends on the groundbait mix and amount of water. A cage feeder will also work

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Woody,

The main problem I had with them was it was fidgety to put the tabs on that keep them closed andthey they don't cast well when you have a cross wind.

They do actually give you a very good spead of particle baits without the need for groundbaitand if they could make a slimmer version with a simpler closing mechanism I'd use it.

I could achieve the same effect with less effort using PVA bags and with then it was easy to cast accurately incross winds.

The one thing I would like to use them foris fishing with chopped lobs and lobworm bait at distance but the design does not support putting the hookbait in it.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
As Woody says Deanos theycan bea bit hit and miss but...

I usually make up a mix using some groundbait mix or vitalin and scalded pellets, press it in the Bait Bomb gadget and see how well it holds its shape.

If I need to I'll then microwave batches, literally for a couple of minutes a time, they don't take long if they need it at all.

The more scalded pellets you use the better or rather easier it sticks together, the groundbait is best used to dry the mix out a bit if necessary before pressing it.

I find it quicker to make big batches of these for longer sessions where I'm not going to be moving swims (hopefully)and take them pre-prepared in a sealable, airtight bucket (given to me by sainsbury's cake counter/bakery)but I use PVA bags on shorter trips as that works out lighter to carry, a tub of pellets and some PVA stocking fits in a small tackle bag easy.

I can't say one method is better than the other they just suit different types of fishing trip for me.

W

Wolfman Woody

The problem with some anglers is they start off with an idea and then it becomes a personal wish to get the idea made up so they can try it and sell it.

They get wrapped in it (you can see some similar people on Dragon's Den) and won't give up no matter how bad the idea is. Some enjoy a little success and use the money raised to further the development, but in the end it's never going to reach maximum appeal. Usually this is because of an inherent fault that they cannot get around and makes the products useless/unattractive/impractical.

Seems like this Ferris Tech bait bomb is one such product. It follows the Pole Cone Feeder and the Rainbow Depth Finder (found here) and the one handed catapult and clever claw - although the latter is still on sale and has been through two further improvement, but to me, it's still an unnecessary item.

There will be more of them, you can be sure, because there's never a shortage of people who think they can make a fortune out of an idea that will sell in the millions.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Thats why we have a cupboard under the sink .......