Bivvy recommendations please

I

Ian Cloke

Starting back in the carp sessions, and I want/need a decent bivvy, couple of thing to consider though, firstly I don't want to be spending over £175, secondly is size, I'm 6'4" and a dainty 18+stone, so would a two man be better? All advice is greatly appreciated.

teddy bear MBE

Reaction score
I've been using the TFG Force 8 for a couple of seasons and can't fault it. I think that for your manly stature you would be better off with the two man version but that would still cost you less than your £175.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Your gonna struggle at 6'4", I'd seriously think about losing 5 stone and chopping the legs off from just below the knees, then the Euro Dome is the biz.

You are going to need a two man type thingy, have a look at the big Euro Dome, there are pleanty of better ones out ther nowadays but not at the price thatthe euro goes out for. I have been using one for 7 years now, and it does leak a bit from the seams in places when its pissing it down, but it ain't that bad. I am lucky enough to have been the proud owner of a Waterlot back in the early 80s, once you've had one of them anything these days seems great.

dave newman 4

Reaction score
fox 2 dome bivvy

2 man

less than £130

absolutley HUGE, ive just bought one, set it up in the garden and its like another house

Bootsy

Reaction score
I've recently got the Chub CyFish+ 1 man which I picked up for £150. Comes with a standard overwrap & groundsheet & is extremely sturdy. The 2 man costs around £30 more. Best thing with these is that you can eventually buy the additional Extreme Overwrap which adds a large porch to the front. Check them out here:

http://www.chubfishing.com/list-190-Cyfish+.html (copy & paste into browser address bar)

Ignore the prices as you can pick them up cheaper nowdays. I got mine from a tackle shop advert in Total Carp mag.

S

Steve Clements

I'm 6' 3" and can fit under a 1 man trakker armo and 60" oval brolley, the armo has the option of what is called either the super extended winter wrap,ie; second skin which is alternatively referred to as the 2-man conversion because of the larger 'porch' area.

2-man bivvys (pramhood style at least) are huge, go to a large tackle shop and they should, space permitting have a selection set up.

I know Gerrys' of Wimbledon do.

I

Ian Cloke

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's very much appreciated.

F

Frothey

get a second hand nash viper tt with winter skin - you can pick these up fairly cheaply and mines still going strong after 5+ years

F

Frothey

i dont really get why people "need" 2 man bivvy's - I've done weeks under a profile before and was able to keep everything covered, only use the viper if the weathers going to be a bit iffy and thats got loads of room to move around in.

dont have to worry about only fishing swims big enough for the bivvy either!

I

Ian Cloke

Frothey, I'm asking for advice, if you read my first post I ask about size "I'm 6'4" and a dainty 18+stone, so would a two man be better?"

Thanks for the advice about the Viper, the reason I want a bivvie is because I will be fishing all weathers hopefully;)

F

Frothey

...and I'm giving it /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

A two man will be bigger if thats what you mean - just dont see the need for all the extra room. most 1 man bivvies are the size of two man ones from a few years back. if your bedchair and your kit fits in then its big enough. anything else is an extravagence /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif you start worrying about whether your bivvy will fit in swims, rather than fishing the swims you want to.

The only time i dont use the brolly is when the wind is going to be changeable in terms of direction - its a pain in the bum to move it in the middle of the night - but if its staying the same direction they offer plenty of protection. to be fair, if i was doing 3 or 4 days this time of year, i might go with the bivvy, but its more of a hindrance for shorter sessions. not used the bivvy this year yet.....

I

Ian Cloke

Thanks Frothey, "not used he bivvy this year yet....." let's hope we don't get the snow come over from USA

lobworm

Reaction score
i agree with Frotey,a 1 man is plenty Ian, all the extra weight and size of a 2 man makes them more cumbersome in my opinion.

There will be plenty on ebay after xmas!

Bootsy

Reaction score
I think it all depends on WHERE & HOW you're planning to fish. If you're doing more than 2 nights, with all that food, bait, extra clothing & not feeling too clostrophobic then I think a 2 man is best. You can set everything well back (including your bedchair) & you've still got all that porch space, which means easier movement plus extra room for a carpet, your stove, bivvy table & even a guest or 2 for socializing. But yeh, for a night or 2 a simple brolly system is ideal, especially if you plan to move after spotting fish 100 yards down the bank.

Mind you, all the new 2 man bivvies are just as easy to set up & put down as the 1 mans, if you choose the right one.

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

I use the JRC Dave lane umbrella (1 man) with the second skin and it has miles of room.

It hasn't leaked over the last 3 or 4 years and it's a pram hood style with ally poles so only takes a few minutes to stick up.

Hope this helps Ian.

Paul B

Reaction score
A shameless plug for the Cyfish+ 1 man i'm selling in the 2nd hand section!

I've only used it for 1 week as I use my chub reflex brolly(has a zip in front) to be honest as it fits in my quiver and suits for 1-2 nighters I do. I got the cyfish for a french trip as I didn't fancy banging my head on brolly ribs for a week....

Some good advice above especially to check the swims at your venues for size, and try a few bivvies at a big dealers- put a bedchair and bags in while your there!

Good luck with the search!

CAT

Reaction score
JRC Do some beauties i havethe 2man Quad is a home from home bit to comfy if im honest, plusyou can get the extended wrap which gives you even more space and it is up in minutes with the pram system, i only use this on3-5 day sessions on the Pits, i paid £170 for mine all in.

Other wise its my Pioneer Ultra light all the way, top draw but expensive.

steveo

Reaction score
Ian,If ur 18 stone and 6'3" then I rekon a decent bed chair is more imporetant than bivvy size.The Aqua Brolly with sides will be plenty big enough but as your tall your head will get caught up in the spokes.

The Pioneer Ultralight is my choice and you can get the 2006 models for a decent price bit more then the ?175 you wanna pay but is a very versatile system.

The Dave lane STI,I know people who use them and they say they are are good.

Last but not least the new Trakker Aero Lite and the SLX both of which look fantastic for the price.

Hope this helps

Andyw

Reaction score
I just bought the JRC Continental 2 man... £80 from Mullarkeys... a huge bivvy, very well made... I've not used in anger yet.. But I'll let ya know when I have how it goes