Isle of Skye

MASS

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have booked a weeks holiday next march on Skye, providing the snow is not twelve foot deep is it worth taking the fly tackle. I am not sure about the seasons or temperatures for game fish at that time of year. Grateful for any info, thanks MASS

The Monk

Reaction score
Not beenup there skye for years in fact they hadnt built the bridge in those days, it was the train to kyle of Lochalsh or mallaige from the south and then the ferry to Skye, lovely place for birding, friendly people, I expect the bridge as opened it up a bit though

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Don't expect fast and furious sport but if you pack a travel fly rod that can hide in a suitcase and doesn't annoy the Missus then it's a lovely place to fish.

You don't say where you're going but if by any chance it is Portree then (a) don't miss out on the freshly cooked prawns at the end of the pier when the boats come in, the size of langoustines and (b) thoroughly recommend lochs Leathan and Fada north of Portree, overlooked by the Old Man of the Storr, a weird outcrop of vertical standing rock.

My soft spot for Loch Leathan is entirely connected with the fact that its where I caught my first ever trout ! (Soldier palmer, red hackle and rib). Give it a tot of whiskey if you're there with my regards and for luck.... Big envy, you don't need a driver and lazy Ghillie do you ?

B

billy barbel

Hi Mass, i fished in skye two years ago there are a few lochs outside portree that i would recomend the storr lochs are brilliant as is loch fada you can contact the portree angling association for info and permits as they control the majority of the fishing up there.The misty isle also has great salmon and chartered sea loch trips. Enjoy!!

Portree Angling Association
Hillcroft, Treaslane By Portree, Isle of Skye, IV51 9NX.
Secretary : Mr W. MacIntosh.
Tele : 01478-612684

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Come to thinki of it I can't remember if Skye gets a spring or autumn run - worth a bit of research perhaps, 'cos if tis a spring run then March might well put you in to a Salmon or Sea Trout !

Check with whatever hotel you are staying in, some of them have their own bits of river and salmon / sea trout fishing, and even if they don't they will usually know a local who does/

Plus which, as the rivers are so short (obviously, it being a tiddly island !) the fish are very clean and short run, estuary and up to the spawning redds in a day or two, so clean fresh and silver, no hanging about in stagnating pools going stale waiting for rain. Good luck.... and you sure you don't need a Ghillie ??? Or Valet ? I iron....

MASS

Reaction score
Thanks for great info so far. We are staying near the village of Stein on the banks of Loch Bay (accommodation once owned by the singer Donovan (no not Jason as my much younger mate suggested). Anyway if anyone has info for this area i would be grateful thought it was just over the bridge and there you were!!. Stein is another one hour twenty minutes drive. thanks again. p.s. sorry no ghille or valet needed. wife said!!!!! MASS

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Is there nothing I could do for her whilst you are out fishing..... /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif?

Ghillie, Valet and Gigolo ! All in one short fat balding Welsh package.... Nah.... doesn't work does it - I wouldn't have the time to do any fishing myself !

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

PS. Although I very rarely lend out tackle for obvious reasons I do have a perfect travel type rod for loch / seatrout and light salmon use I might be able to lend you if you were to beg sufficiently hard and offer the blood of your first three children in penalty of non-return.....

MASS

Reaction score
Evan, thats a really nice gesture and a big thank you from me, but and it is a big but, as i have described in a previous thread (headed balanced tackle ) i am new to fly fishing and not yet great at the old casting but i am getting there, so i will decline your kind offer and risk my own fly tackle. thanks again MASS