A Memorable Day Hunting Grayling

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Too much modesty Neil.Having seen you in action this was no fluke.Well done again.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

certainly a fish of a lifetime. Welldone neil.

Tanis Half Elven

Reaction score
Neil,

Well done it is indeed a lovely fish.The sunset picture is more or less the same one I took three days after your fish.Glad to see your still on "cloud nine".

Tanis

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

A huge Grayling, i want one of those, congrats.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
It was a beauty of a fish and I couldn't believe my eyes when we read the scale, 3lb 5oz a cracker.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, well done Neil/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Well done Neil.......... Cracking fish !!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I Agree with all of the above........................get in there Neil /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Now then "t*t", I'll take you on a fully guided day outon the Itchen, which obviously comes complete with fullguarantee of success, if you'll reciprocate with a similar guaranteed day out and a 17lb+ Barbel.

Can't say fairer than that can I!!?

By the way,my extensive knowledge of the Itchen has been built up over a considerable period of time. The fact that I've only fished it 3 times (but 2 different swims) is irrelevant.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

P

pons

What a Fabulous fish ,Neil,one to be very proud of.

Well done indeed,/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Pons

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Cracking fish Neil,that big brownie's not bad either, congratulations.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Neil,

Cracking fish. A couple of interesting thoughts regarding your article and your pictures. When I first saw the picture a week or so ago (when it was put on the site without the article) I have to say I doubted the weight. However, I visited the Lower Itchen Fishery last Sunday and fished in appauling conditions, cloudy high water and proper rain storms. My pal and I both caught well despite the conditions. We fished the Fly only water and all our fish came to pink shrimp style patterns. I had three of my biggest ever grayling. 2 were a fraction below 2lbs and the biggest went 2lb 4 ounces. These fish seemed huge on the day but the photos I've taken don't do them justice. I wonder if its just grayling? Can anyone suggest a better way to photograph them to give a better impression of weight?

By the way we also had plenty of trout and a couple of sea trout (lovely fish). I can't beleive how good this place is. Surely for the £35price of a day ticketthis has to be one of the best wild fly waters around for Grayling. The stats of 1 in 10 grayling being over 2lb doesn't seem far off the mark. Can't wait to get back again next year.

Congrats on your catch.

Best,

Rich

S

Sean Meeghan

Richard try a couple of broom poles with tiny cut out hands on the end. Should look like doubles then!!! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Well done Neil - cracking fish. There's a water near me that might do a three AND the day ticket's a bit less than £35 ..........

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I can't say I'm disappointed with the photo but, without setting myself up for a bit of flak, I do agree it doesn't do the fish justice. I also have to say I intentionally try and not hold fish out at arms length regardless of their size or stature.

It was a solid, fit fish with barely a mark on it. The tail was slightly ragged but all in all it was in excellent condition. On the other hand, the brownie pictured in the article was thin and empty, still one of the most gloriously coloured browns I've ever caught tho!

I think the Lower Itchen is an excellent, well managed fishery. I fished it on a £20 coarse ticket which opens up only the lower beats but still gives a tremendous amount of water to explore. Even in mid November there were still plenty of sea trout in the area and of course a few browns. Most pleasing from my point of view was the amount of small (young) grayling showing up. I had plenty of just a few ounces and apart from the big one, also had plenty between 1lb and 1lb 12oz. Another guy fishing below me had quite a few over 2lb with the best at 2.09 (I think). And you're right, they looked huge!

It must be quite a fishery to appproach with the fly! More of a challenge than my 6AA Avon and double maggot!

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"I can't beleive how good this place is. Surely for the £35price of a day ticketthis has to be one of the best wild fly waters around for Grayling."

In the last four weeks or so, I've fished (trotting!) the Upper Kennet at Denford and Barton Court and most recently the Test at Timsbury. All three venues were good in their own way and most enjoyable. But in my opinion, the Lower Itchen Fishery stands head and shoulders above them for the sheer quality of fishing available.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I would vouch for that in terms of the high weight of the fish.I fished with Neil at Timsbury and had nigh on 20 grayling but the biggest was about half a pound.

I fear that the increased pressure these few chalk stream fisheries are getting will however prove detrimental in the long run asI think Mark W pointed out in an article.Grayling thrive on a bit of neglect and maybe next year our FM grayling day should head further west to the Wye or even North to some of the yorkshire rivers Sean fishes.

Richard, if you check out the cover of this months CAT(Coarse Angling Today) there is a lovely picture of a brace of twos where they are held in each hand slightly raised and across the body.My experience of grayling though is that they are very hard to pose.Maybe the biggies are different?

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
I've fished all the waters you speak of Neil. And I've never had the sheer anount of big fish I had at the Lower Itchen Fishery. The other things that stands it apart from the rest is the huge amount of water available. Theres just tons of it and we didn't see another angler all day. Lots of water lots of potential. Will try and at least walk it in summer to see how many big fish are actually in there. Summer and low water should reveal lots more.

Sean as for cheaper waters I'd agree there are tons. Most of my favourite waters for Grayling are in south and west Yorkshire. I catch tons of fish there but so few are in this size category. This water is seriously stacked with big fish!.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Mark Wintle's article Vulnerable Graylingis a very well written piece. He has had first hand experience of the past history of various waters, particularly the Frome, which holds (held) truly giant grayling (the photo of John Searle's fish is stunning!).

I hope the Lower Itchen Fishery contuinues it's good management and does not go the route of some others who appear to beover doingthe chasing of additional income that coarse/grayling anglersmight provide during the winter months.

The day we fished it, I think there were four other anglers on the entire fishery. Even on the FM fish-ins, we'll have perhaps 20 but they'll be spread about the whole fishery, not just the normal lower beats.

Having said that, a weekend on the Wye or in Yorkshire (wherever that is!) sounds a good idea to me.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
The November issue of "Trout and Salmon" has an excellent article on the grayling fly fishing available from the fishery, with sometop qualityprofessional photography. Particularly one which shows a big grayling being held in the fast current.