Aliases on FM

R

Ron Clay

The other day I was talking to a very famous angler who shall be nameless. I said it might be a good idea to have a look at FM, as there is often some very interesting threads.

He said that he had looked at the odd website in the past and didn't like what he saw due to the amount of aliases being used. People who use aliases have hidden agendas or something to hide he said.

Personally I do not like the use of aliases either, although in angling writing they are not new. Denys Watkins Pitchford wrote under the pen names of "BB" and "Michael Traherne". Richard Walker wrote under the pen name "Water Rail", and there were many others.

However the usage of a pen name or alias on a web site. Personally I have to admit that I don't like it, but I wish to state here and now that I have the greatest respect for "Carp Angler", "Birds Nest" and a few others on this site.

Not only that I would love to know who there are.

What do you think?

B

Birds Nest

Personally I have no problem using an alias on any web forum. I've always done it and never found a problem with it. However, what is wrong is the use of an alias to hide behind and have a go at people with. My ID is set up with a real E Mail address so I can be contacted... And is the only ID I use on here..

Ron, I'll be trying for them Collingham barbel next season, perhaps I'll say Hi if I see you ?

R

Ron Clay

I shall be starting my barbel campaign on the Trent from end June. Look forward to seeing you.

S

Stuart Bullard

Mixed really Ron. I think some of them are quite humurous (Rodney Wrest!!). And everyone knows who Carp is. I think its a credit to this site that there have been few, if any, occurences that your famed angler friend is concerned about.

I mean, there was a bit of Des Taylor bashing recently, but even that was done in pretty good humour and something he would be more than competent of standing up to!

At the end of the day, like you I would prefer to know who everyone is, but I am not that bothered. Mine would be "Blanker" (and no obvious extensions please!!).

P

Paul Williams

I have no problem with anyone using an alias....so long as the person doesn't use it to hide behind.
SOME "very famous anglers" as you put it Ron, have used the protection of magazines, weeklies etc to voice thier opinions and at times have been protected by editors etc from those who choose to reply and disagree with thier views.......hence giving the opinion they are always right.....that to me is as bad as the guy using the protection of an alias.........reap and sow are words that spring to mind.

D

disco dan

Dont really have an alias problem as long
as they are not being to critical of
others on the forum or in general,as this
is when you wonder if they have something
to hide.Personnaly like to be open that
its me even with my surname.:)

R

Rodney Wrestt

I agree with the opinion that using a alias is fine but treating the other members with respect and being polite should be paramount. Banter and differing opinion are common and mostly taken in good humour, I am quite new to the site and it is the first I have actualy used on a regular basis and find everyone to be kind and generous with their knowledge and always willing to help.

Stuart....whatever do you mean? ;o}~

M

Malcolm Bason

I have to admit to using aliases on all other fishing forums - however as you can see i use my name on this one.

This is because it was the first fishing web site with a forum that I stumbled across!

When I looked at other sites, i found that many people used aliases and followed suit!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
I tried to (gently) poke fun at the subject a while ago, and got the distinct impression that other readers/writers were not in favour. All seemed to get rather to seriious to me! Surely the content of the thread/article is more important than the identity of the author. If it is good, people will want more, if it bad, people will know that the author chose to remain anonymous for that very reason

S

STEVE POPE

Hi Ron,

You ask the question good or bad, in my opinion bad, no grey areas, and sorry if that upsets some people.
Although this is an excellent site and Graham does an excellent job,this medium will only flourish if debate is sensible, measured, informed and tinged with a touch of humour.

If some believe they can get away with their own personal vendettas they will take advantage, I know this, and also know some of the guys who have hidden behind aliases and it has done their reputations no good at all.

The BS now has its own members bulletin board and I moderate along with three others.
No one can post unless their correct name appears and if their is any sign of personal attack the post will be deleted, no messing.

This probably sounds very dictatorial, it is.

Unless a respected code of decent behaviour is established on the internet, this medium is going nowhere.
So we see it as doing our bit.

I can take criticism as well as the next man, I have no problem with that at all, what is unacceptable is for the cowardly few to use the goodwill of these sites to cause mayhem and good men to feel the need to stop posting.

The choice is simple.

F

Fred Bonney

I have no thoughts either way on this point,but,I think Steve hits the nail on the head with his second paragraph.
'Although this is an excellent site and Graham does an excellent job,this medium will only flourish if debate is sensible, measured, informed and tinged with a touch of humour'
Let's keep OUR site this way.
If such a situation happens again do not respond to the noname,perhaps he will go away,for good.