Ribble Seal and Bio Diesel

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Just had a phone call from Alan Barnes who works for a daily newspaper and sub-edits for Coarse Fisherman magazine.

He was fishing the confluence of the Ribble and Darwen yesterday at midday when a seal popped its head up in his swim. This was witnessed by other people as well as Alan. He reported it to the EA who told him they didn't have the resources to deal with it.

Also yesterday, the Darwen, in the area he fished,was covered from one bank to another with bio diesel discharge (apparently 129 companies now have a licence to discharge bio diesel into the Ribble). This was also reported to the EA and the discharge was still coming down the river two hours later.

The Monk

Reaction score
just remind me again, what do we pay our licence fees for?

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Did it answer to the nameSid?

If not I don't want to know!

When it gets above the Red Scar weir I'll give Barney a ring he knows what to do/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Graham I was not aware that the EA license the discharge of bio-diesel into surface water prio to treatment? I've not had much time to research this see the EA fact sheet on making biodiesel regulations.

Quote from the bottom of this report: -

Wherever possible, the by-product, glycerol, should be sent to another operator so it can be re-used. Where this is not possible you must consign and dispose of it as waste to a licensed facility. It should not be discharged to sewer without an appropriate Trade Effluent Consent.

Is Alan Barns or his club a member of ACA?

Seems to me someone is taking advantage of the very high river levelsto discharging into surface water?

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Phil, perhaps someone could drop a word to the natives of Red Scar Wood that dried and ground up seal skin doubles the kick when added to a well known weed.

G

Gary Knowles

"When it gets above the Red Scar weir I'll give Barney a ring he knows what to do/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif"

And so do a lot of people....hopefully the same mistake wont be made again...

P

John I think is right about taking advantage. Bio-diesel can be made at home, back street lockup,etc,and one company sells kits to do it.What's need are regulations to stop the sale of these kits to unlicensed users.

Each kit sold to licensed users needs a unique biomarker adding. Yes the technology isout there to do this.Such a marker could then be traced back to the buyer, who is held solely responsible for the use and any misuse and disposal of effluent created in the productionprocess.

P

Thought that would get you up and out of the bunker Barney!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Dind, ding round two!

P

Graham as a point of interest, how did the guy know it was bio-diesel and not bog standard stuff?

I also know there's been an incident of United Utilities putting shite possibly containing diesel into the River at Mellings Wood area over the last week. And yes it was reported to the EA.

G

Gary Knowles

LOL - but can't be arsed Phil....let it eat...after all its Christmas...

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Just spoke to Alan again and he says he can't be sure what type of diesel it was but the EA suggested it was red diesel. However, Alan's brolly blew over and dipped into the river and the colour on the brolly was orange.

Like Alan, this is a topic I know little about, so if anyone else can throw any light on it it will be appreciated.

The EA are investigating and looking for the source of the discharge.

D

david bruce 1

The whole European market is awash with by product glycerol, particularly impure glycerol from bio diesel production. It would be no surprise if dumping it was commonplace forsmall/micro producers

J

John McLaren

Wouldn't "throwing a light on it" cause a bit of a bang, Graham? /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Not thought of that one John! The Ribbles getting warm enough as it is without Graham thowing a light on things./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

P

The whole issue of bio-diesel the making of it, disposal of waste product, and possible regulation of tractability back to the buyer. Is now on the agenda for FACT’s joint meeting (Fish Welfare Group) with DEFRA and the EA next week.

Given the cost of oil on the world markets, I personal think what we are seeing is the tip of a big looming iceberg regarding the irresponsible dumping of waste bio-diesel product.

D

david bruce 1

Another factor in this is that Bio Diesel is much less stable than normal diesel.Even well made B/D needs up to 20 times more antioxidant than conventional diesel. Crudely made from varied sources needs even more. Antioxidant is over £3 per kilo and can only be bought in 200 Kg lots. In many cases it is also a highly toxic liquid although there is a less toxic solid available but then getting it into solution is a problem. Without antioxidantsthe shelf life is only a few weeks. Even when the antioxidant is added at optimum levels it's not idea and new (more expensive ) antioxidants designed for B/D are just appearing on the market. How much of this technical knowledge is available and being used by the micro producers is anyones guess.