Fishing in Italy

eric hall

Reaction score
Having moved to Milan, Italy in May I was wondering whether any of you have ever fished over here? I am designing a website catering for Brit anglers looking for new waters, www.anglinginitaly.com, any help or info would be greatly recieved.

Cheers and tightlines!

David Craine

Reaction score
Eric, that sounds a good idea, I have fished in Italy, but only on the coast, and really have only al ittle info, yourwebsite would be very interesting to any angler on Holiday in Italy,

Good luck with the site.

Dave.

eric hall

Reaction score
Thanks dave, where abouts did you fish, did you catch and how?

gerry h

Reaction score
my mate goes to sorento on hols and says the river in town there is full of carp and cats.he has seen them off the bridge

eric hall

Reaction score
Cheers Gerry, I will look into Sorento, any idea the name of the river??

I have a carpodrome 5 minutes from my house, it is like the worst commercial fishery you could think of, and unhooking mats are unheard of, unfortunately.

There are some huge Grass Carp in there which you always see basking in the sun, will target these in the summer, but really want to find some 'real' waters.

David Craine

Reaction score
Eric.

I have been to Sorento twice, but the River there is very small, I did not see anybody fishing it, and did not see any fish, maybe the wrong river / location ?

I have fished the coast all around Sorento, about 2 miles south of the town, there is an old Roman Villa,not a historic site, accessed via the coast road, the area is volcanic rock, and very sharp underfoot, but is well worth the effort if you can put in the time, this area is very popular with local anglers, fish a largeish pike "Bung"with a flat top, about 3 feet up the line, 2 feet below run a drilled bullett stopped by a swivel, then attach a largish (2/0 +) streamer fly or similar, repeatedly cast this as far as you can and wind in rapidly, you will catch smallish Tuna up to about 6lbs or so, and what a fight they put up .The Pike bung acts as a splashing attractor to the Tuna, who snap at the streamer fly.If you choose to, you can fish smallish baits such as prawns, or fish strip,under a float off the rock marks, and you will catch a species very similar to Wrasse.

In the center of Sorrento there are several large harbours these hold Mullet and several other smallish fish, usual Mullett tactics will catch . There is a small marina called Marina Piccolo, which has a man made breakwater type of structure, locals night fish from this, using coarse tactics.. I have had Mullet from there using maggots purchased from the tackle shop in the town....there is a further "bay " to the left of Marina Piccolo, which I did not fish,if you do visit this bay be very careful, there are alot of used syringes underfoot, not very pleasant and surprising in such an area.

Capri has many rock marks that also produce as above.The harbour in Capri can be fished as those in Sorrento, again,Coarse tactics will produce many Mini species and the usual Mullet

The River Arno in Florence is full of Carp and big Cats, I have seen the locals fishing for the Cats right in the town Centre almost under the Ponte Vechio, in rowing boats. I have also seen the Carp shoaling to spawn just below the Wier near the island, nothing big, perhaps 12-15lbs, but lots of them.The local angling clubs run matches all along the Arno, but only seem to fish for silver fish, they do have Carp Matches during the summer though.

In Rome the Tiber is stuffed with Carp and believe it also has some large Cats, but have not seen anybody fishing for them.

I do not know what the licence requirements are for freshwater fishing, as I never tried it, but the sea is free for all.Local anlgers are very helpful.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dave.

eric hall

Reaction score
Cheers Dave for all your help, i too have seen the Arno in Florence and remember seeing some good size Carp mulling about in the sunshine. I remember watching an angler fishing breadcrust on the surface for them, and then a huge rat the size of a terrier swam from the middle of the river to the bankside to try and intercept his bait!

The River Po is an hour away from me and is full of the usual species plus some big Barbel and Carp. The barbel I am really interested in as they are abundant although I am not sure of the size.

David Craine

Reaction score
Eric, I dont think that it was a rat that took the bread, more likley a Coypu, which is a large rodent that lives on most Italian rivers, if you look into the reed beds at the river side you will see them waddling up and down, could be mistaken for a rat though, but then again, a bloody big one, they grow to the size of a Highland Terrier,but are harmless, locals feed them on disgarded vegetables from the local markets.

If you get any info the Barbel fishing would be really interested , my wife has an obsession with Italy, and we seem to end up there regularly,I would love to target some freshwater species,and any info re licences etc would be really useful.

Dave.

eric hall

Reaction score
Hi Dave, sorry only just saw your post.

With regards to the Barbel, or Barbo as they are called here in Italy, I will let you know as soon as.

In the mean time here are a few pics to wet your appetite! Roberto is a Fox consultant in Italy and is probably the Italian version of matt Hayes!

http://www.robertoripamonti.it/html/Ledgering.htm

eric hall

Reaction score
These fish were taken from the river Po in Italy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHP1cTU9FSw&feature=related

fish care is a little dubious in Italy, need educating with regard to that!

eric hall

Reaction score
So has no one else fished or contemplated fishing in Italy?

Found a little tackle shop near me a few days back, mainly geared up for the pole angler but also for Lake trout fishing, but not with a fly, they use rods manufactured specifically for this category, very similar to our stepped up waggler rods, Daiwa and Shimano produce a range over here for example. They then use some sort of critically balanced float similar to the TFG clear controllers but smaller, which sink slowly or fast depending on which one you have chosen, on the hook is either a worm, or more popularly the Berkeley range of Paste baits. A walk around my local lake reveals that this is a very popular method over here, although it doesn't have the finesse of the fly!

Decent Carp tackle is imported and the the prices really bumped up for example the Fox Warrior rods are £90 each on some online tackle shops! Fox gear is very popular over here, probably because they have really tried to market themselves over here, there is a little bit of Nash too.

Barbel tackle and specimen angling with buzzers etc just doesn't exist, it is either pole fishing, waggler fishing or inglese (english) or straight forward legering plus Carp fishing which like I said in every magazine that features Carp it just looks like a Fox catalogue (nothing new!)

There is so much potential over here, I married my wife back in July on Lake Como, the same Villa that featured in Oceans Twelve. In Lake Como there are some absolutly huge Roach and Chub. Most anglers fish for the bleak and Perch (delicious filleted, fried and served in a risotto) for the pot, yet these beautiful fish go unchallenged, almost took a rod to my wedding!

keora

Reaction score
Although I regularly visit Italy I've never fished, although I've seen people fishing the following spots:

The river Ticino in Pavia south of Milan.

The river that runs out of the southern end of Lago di Garda between Desenzano and Castel Nuovo.

The two big lakes in Mantua which I thinkare part of a river runninginto the Po.

There's a wonderful clear trout riverrunning through the middle of Treviso north of Venice. Looks a bit like a chalk stream in its flow rate and clarity. Lots of trout visible including somebig rainbows. Plenty of no fishing signs erected by the local club.

I've seen a local actually fishing with a baited drop net(not a baited rod and line) ina river that Icrossed on the bus from Bologna to the airport.

I've seen people fishing in the Tiber in the middle of Rome, aroundCastel Sant' Angelo, not far from the Vatican. One bloke I 'm sure wasusing carp tackle

As for Nutria (Coypu), theylook like giant cuddly water voles, they arearen't at all ratty.I've the feeling that they are fairly common, having seenone in the Tiber in central Rome, one in the marshland betweenRome and the airport, and a few in the Arno in Florence.

I don't know what the standards of angling are like inItaly -I imagine a lotof fish are taken for the table.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

Sorry I'm late in joining this thread but been off-line for a couple of months and just got back on. The missus and meself lived and worked in Umbria for over 2 years and I used to fish the Tiber quite regular. ( There are a couple of old threads on it) The stretch in question was through (and either side for a couple of kilometres)the town of Umbertide, slow in places and fast in others with a couple of natural weirs.I alwaysfished the weirs as for some reason they was always empty but I alwayscaught carp, chub and barbel mainly on maggot feeder. The carp went to about 6lb, chub to 3lb and the barbel to 5lb , not huge fish but what a fight in the fast flow. There are 2 tackle shops in Umbertide and both have a good range of tacklecatering for the match angler to the specimen but "Sandro's" having the edge.I found the bait a lot cheaper than England especially maggots ( bigatinni ?) which worked out to about a £1 a pint and of far better quality. There is also a "Carpodrome" just outside of town and as you say Eric it's just like a bad commercial.The regulargood anglers have quite good standards but your occasional pleasure angler is terrible for litter etc. If your a resident you get a license for 6 years but a non-resident can only get a 3 monthly which costs about 35 euros. You have to go to the Tourist Office in Umbertide fortheforms to fill in which you then have to take to the Post Office to pay for the stamps and to get stamped which you then take back to the Tourist office to get your card/license and you have to show your Passport and driving license as well but different regions might have different rules but as you will probably know by now they love a bitof red tape in "Italia"They have "Polizia de Pesca" which patrol the banks, mainly at weekends,who check for licenses. About 30 mins drive from Umbertide is Lago Trasimeno which I think is the 3rd largest lake in Italy but only about8 ft deep at its deepestand it's teeming with carp, tench etc. The carp here are caught for the table. A good website in Italy for tackle is www.pianetapesca.com aslo in English and they also deliver all over Europe. If you need any other info pm me.Hope this has been of some use. Ciao for now./forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

eric hall

Reaction score
The site is slowly coming together does anybody else have any info or even ideas of what I should put on the site?

eric hall

Reaction score
Please if you can fill in the short questionaire in order for me to gather info for the site.

just follow the link below.

Many thanks

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=fcgky52t9aquegv406927

eric hall

Reaction score
Have been incredibly busy over the summer settling into a new life over here, time now to crack on with the site over the winter months.

I have a small property close to Lake Maggiore which I may open to let for fishing holidays linked to this site, anyone interested???

If you have anymore info that could help, I would be very appreciated.

Tight Lines

Philip

Reaction score
Hopefully Eric you not going to tell everyone about all the lesser known and unspoilt smaller lake venues around there..nothing guarentees their downfall more than a influx of anglers.../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Nothing wrong with talking about some of the more well known venues or general stuff on the bigger rivers. Something on licenses could be helpful to anglers and if you in Milan then the Po system would offer enough fishing to last a lifetime.