Anyone fished the river ebro?

Lee Burton

Reaction score
Hey been thinking of going catfishing and heard loads of good things bout the river ebro has anyone been and could anyone recomend some guides from previous experience? websites and phone number would be brill thanks.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

If you are looking for a really good guide I'd go for Gary Allen who was the blokewho guided John Wilson see here:

http://www.garyallensregencyangling.com/fishingmovies.html

I've met Gary several times whilst out there and he's a really great bloke with a wicked sense of humour and he has afirst class reputation as a guide at Mequineza

steveo

Reaction score
Hi Lee,I fished the Ebro a couple of years ago.Me an a mate did approx 2 weeks,we hired boat but fished for ourselves.We caught the Plymouth to Santander ferry and then drove to Mequinenza.The ferry takes about 18 hours and the drive is about 6ish to Meq.

We were lucky and the cats were feeding and had 15x 100lb plus cats up to 165 with alot in the 60 to 90 region,all our cats were caught on on 10x22mm Halibut's on the hair with approx 1 x kilo of Butt's over each rod.

We used Shimano tld 20's with 150lb braid(you will need this for the snags and if you have to give a cat the butt).150lb kevlar hooklinks,size 04 Eagle Wave hooks(make sure you have a good hook sharpener and check hook's always,Cats have hard mouths),12-16 0z's of lead to hold bottom in the flow.Rod's were Ultimate cat rod's(you can get these from the C.C.G.)and I cannot fault them.

Other things you will need.Big wide hat,sunscreen as many swims have no shade and in the summer it gets up to the mid 40's in places.Take at least 6 litre's of water per person per day(you will easily drink it).A seafishing butt pad to save you nuts when playing a big cat.Neoprene diving sock/boots are usefull to stop you feet getting cut when getting in the water in some swim,s

Plenty of film/memory cards for you photos

Gary allen is definately worth contacting,he's a top chap and also Steve Buss at www.carpandcatbussters.com.

One thing that i have heard is that a couple on months ago there was a massive fish kill on the Ebro which was hushed up by the Spanish authorities.Apparently they had a chemical spill and lorry load's of dead carp were seen being taken from Mequinenza.A very sad event and I do not know what impact this will have on the the river or the cat's so it would definately be worth doing your homework before shelling out you hard earned money.

good fishing to you.Steveo