rubbish on the bank

• Thread starter Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)
  • Start date
B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

I went fishing yesterday only for a hour or two, Had the pleasure of meeting a lady out walking with her dog.She came out of the field behind me trying to unravel her dog and herself from the fishing line some moron had thrown in the field. She was quite upset at first and made me feel quite small until after a bit of a chat and a helping hand by me to get untied no worse for wear. I made it clear that i in no way condone this sort of behaviour by fellow anglers as it makes us all look bad.For god sake all it takes is to put your crap in a bag and take it home , is that such a problem, for some it seems so. god it makes me so angry.

davie

Reaction score
couldnt agree more with you bob, why is it so hard to put any rubbish accumulated during a session into a bag and take it home with you,,there is absolultley NO EXCUSE for leaving discarded line anywhere except in the dustbin at home. cut up into pieces no longer than 1 inch..

Reaction score
Too right. A pet hate of mine.

took my lad (10) fishing or the first time this Autumn and was discusted byhe amount of litter in our swim. My boy suggested that we should take it all home. It would have took at least 5 black bags to clear around the swim and I was embarassed that we could only take home a carrier bag full. I must add that this was a club water.

Perhaps the up and coming generation of kids will be better eduacated about the importance of not leaving litter in general.

M

mark norris (ACA)

I am not sure your right Matt.

This has been an issue for 30 years at least and each generation seems worse than the one before.

On a forum page like this you are probably preaching to the converted,we need to get this message across to planks who behave in this manner and who are unlikely to get onto these pages.

IF I AM WRONG, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE SO STOP IT.

Rickrod

Reaction score
What about some of the dog walkers they go to the trouble of cleaning up there dog muck And then chuck the bag into the hedges or a bush .......why

B

Bill Cox

its all a matter of respect matt/mark people in general today do not respect other peoples views, space or rights so how do you expect them to respect themselves. Self respect is taught by the parents(or should be) when i was a kid we would never dream of littering, now you can wait outside any shop or takeaway and watch people of all ages openly and matter of factly throw crap all over the pavements. Like i said mate no respect for anything. See kids as young as 4 or 5 eat crisps walking home from school with mum throw the wrappers on the floor and mum says nothing!!!!!!!!!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Bill is soc on............it really is a problem society as a whole needs to get to grips with.

In my job if i get caught doing anything i shouldn't i get hit hard in the pocket.

It's time to make examples..........not unused laws.............fine the parent who lets their kids do that and fine and ban the cretin who leaves enough line about to entangle a dog.

Catching them is difficult, but when we do hit em hard where it makes em notice.

Reaction score
yeah it's sickening when I see a grown adult stop at traffic lights and throw cans and burger packaging out of the window onto the street - unbelievable!

I think a zero tolerance approach is required.

Make littering an offence, which will incurre a fine - £50-100 say.

Every instance wouldn't be caught but it would make people think twice and teach kids that it is unacceptable.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Not too many years ago, I went to have a look at a job at a house in a very seclucive area.

The owner of the house asked me to have a look over the hawthorn hedge at the back of his garden. It was littered with plastic shopping bags full of dog $hit for a distance of about 50 yds. The person who had been throwing it there was a magistrate.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I would have camed uplay in wait and vidieoed him/her Baz.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It was a female magistrate Paul. And a right bossy bitch from what I have been told.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I was out walking a few weeks back on anature reserve footpathand some filthmonger had hung a plastic bag full of dog eggs in the lower branches of a Silver Birch. Why in god's name would you take the trouble to bag it up obly to hang it in a tree?

I e-mailed keith Arthur with a suggestion this morning. I'd like to see every oocupant of this country issued with a plastic ID card (It could even be doubled up with the government's Id card scheme.) which would have to be produced in order to purchase any packaged product. The bar codes could be linked to that individual's ID and if that packaging was subsequently picked up as litter they would be iussued a hefty fine. (Or better still shot!) I for one wouldn't mind paying an extra penny for my packet ofcrisps or can of coke if it meant the litter problem was addressed.

Keith commented that it would be a breech of people's civil rights. What about my civil rights as a non litterer? Stuff the political correct bowlocks and whack these scumbags hard!

Mind you I did laterspot the fairly obvious flaw in the idea,that being that these maggots would probably make an effort to destroy the bar code before offloading their trash.

Even so when oh when will we actually do something about the problem rather than just eternallypaying it lip service?

B

Bill Cox

In the park where one of our club lakes is situated are 3 dog sh*t bins, they are on posts and have a hinged lid activated in the same way as a pedal bin. I regularly bailiff the lake and so pass these bins, they are always surrounded by bagged up dog crap sometimes 20/30 bags. nearly always the bin is not full. The lazy bastards are two idle to step on the pedal to open the lid. what mentality goes to the trouble of scooping it up and then cant be bothered to put it in the bin?? the mind boggles.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
I couldnt agree more Bob. It drives me to distraction.

About 7 years ago I fished a match and I drew the scales. I was a club bailif at the time (honestly not an obnoxious bigheaded one as some are)but I was sick to death of banging a solo drum about litter left on club waters and as soon as I drew the scales Itold everybody there and then that at the end of the match I would not weigh in anybody that had litter on their peg.

I had gone round this lake the previous afternoon and picked up 5 black plastic bin liners of other anglers crap and left the lake spotless for the match.

Sure enough there was one guy I could have told you at the start was going to challenge that and make a point of doing so. He is one of the best match anglers around here , a total prima donna and a good mate of the match secs.

On getting to his peg there were the3 coke cans I had watched him drink and throw in the bushes from my peg on the other side during the match.

I refused to weigh him despite from all the towpath gossip and evidence that he had walked the match.

He then had a tantrum and started calling me all the names under the sun. He should have been booted out of the club. Instead his mate the match sec took the scales off me in the car park and walked back and weighed him and heleft the car park with a couple of hundred quid and sneered at me that I had missed some cans on peg 7.

Reaction score
Risquue that's unbelievable. Shurely a baliffe should have the backing ofthe club and the authority to get a guywith that attitude expelled from the club.

Keith M

Reaction score
We have an almost zero tollerance in our club and if theres litter in your swim even if its not yours you getone warning and told to pick it up and to take if home with you; If you get caught a second time you get thrown out of the club, theres plenty of people on the waiting list waiting to take his or her place.

One daya father and son both had their bivvies setup and when we walked round after they had gonethere was a pile ofhuman shite piled right in the middle of where the son had had his bivvie.they had'nt even tried to hide it. They gotan immediate6 month ban as their warning.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I pray for the day when I actually see somebody dumping litter in their peg. I can tell you now, their feet won't touch.

B

Bill Cox

You and me both Baz. What makes me really mad is when the clowns bag it all up in carrier bags and dump it in the corner of the car park for the bailiffs to get rid of. One saturday workparty We did actually catch one guy doing this but let him off with a good tongue lashing, reason being he was a new member and this was his first visit to the water, he saw the other three or four bags already left there and thought it was agreed practice for the bailiffs to move it. Needless to say he left not only with his own bags but the others as well.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
It gobsmacks me Bill that some of these people think its the bailifs job to clean up after THEM?

Who the hell do they think they are?

Personaly I would have absolute zero tolerance on litter. If its on your peg its your litter.

Pick it up or lose your membership without hope of renewal for the next 5 years.

The message would soon sink in and the problem would be gone.