Is Britain being ripped off?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Just browsing through t'Interweb and a certain reel caught my eye. Did a Google search for best prices etc. and hardly anyone seems to sell them here (echoes of Lord Pauls problem methinks).

I found one in the USA and could get it delivered FREE to my daughter in California and my son could pick it up in two weeks time when he goes to see her. Cost there is $69.99 (about £43.40 here at current coversion rates). Found a site in the UK, supposed to be a cheap outlet as well, charges for delivery about £6, and UK price from them is £71.99! :eek:

You're having a larf, surely!

(Ooops! Hope Skippy doesn't read this, He'll have his team out looking for my lad when he comes back. :wh)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Jeff, you know as I know that we're being ripped off on just about everything that sells compared to over the pond:eek:.
Jerry

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, I have searched the internet a few times for lures and such from the states and the prices are amazing, but and its a big but, you enquire about the postage to our wonderfull shores you get a nasty shock! Not only are the freight charges over the top, not only do you then have the nice chaps at customs waiting to pounce, but also to add insult to injury, you have the PO charging silly delivery prices as well...I think what they are trying to say is ''it serves you right for going elsewhere for your goods'' they (our lovely government) really do have us by the nuts!!!

dangermouse

Reaction score
I was looking at an online tackle shop the other day, I think it`s called Aldernay Angling and price difference for the Channel Islands and the UK is quite substantial.

They don`t call us "Rip-off Britain" for nothing . . .

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was looking at an online tackle shop the other day, I think it`s called Aldernay Angling and price difference for the Channel Islands and the UK is quite substantial.

They don`t call us "Rip-off Britain" for nothing . . .

Take a look at monster tackle, their range of lures is huge and about 80% cheaper than here on the mainland, free postage, and a nice bunch of guy's running it too!
Just gets me how cheaper the channel Islands are to the rest of the UK!

sam vimes

Reaction score
It works both ways. Ask a North American just how expensive British made stuff is compared to stuff made there or imported specifically for a US company for their home market. The sad thing is that it's a fairly rare occurrence that they'd want to. However, North American carpers buying Nash/Fox/Delkim etc get absolutely slaughtered on price. North American airgunners that wish to buy leading UK airguns (UK and German stuff is generally considered the best) get stung very badly too.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Apparently the sensible people who holiday in America take empty suitcases and purchase clothing while there.

PS If S-Kippy is looking in, I personally have no knowlege as to who these people are (but if anyone has a wish list, let me know before the end of July :))

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
PS If S-Kippy is looking in, I personally have no knowlege as to who these people are
Likewise, I have no knowledge of what my son looks like these days as he's taken to wearing a full black niqab. ;) :D

This could be him

niqab.jpg
On the right.

Hugh Bailey 2

Reaction score
I think as far as the channel islands go, VAT is less or non-existant. For the US - you need to factor in what it would co
st to deliver & clear customs from there

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I think as far as the channel islands go, VAT is less or non-existant.
From memory (although Skippy might be more up to date on it) although they are part of the UK and the UK is part of Europe, the Channel Islands (and Gibraltar - possibly the Isle of Man) aren't and therefore don't have to charge VAT. Europe again eh?:doh::eek:mg:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Channel Islands are a bit odd.They are not part of the EU therefore VAT does not apply but they are part of the Customs Territory of the EU.

Add to that the Low Cost concession which Osborne has just scuppered and thats why low cost items from the CI have usually been cheaper....and why Play was based there & why lures from the CI are cheaper.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

From memory (although Skippy might be more up to date on it) although they are part of the UK and the UK is part of Europe, the Channel Islands (and Gibraltar - possibly the Isle of Man) aren't and therefore don't have to charge VAT. Europe again eh?:doh::eek:mg:

The IOM is even odder...it has VAT at 20% same as the UK but its technically an IOM tax not an EU one. Virtually identical rules.
Gibraltar is like the CI ...its not part of the EU

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey 2

Reaction score
I think you are obliged to pay the VAT from CI purchases, but you probably would have to (at your discretion) declare this. If the parcel gets picked up, you may have to pay the VAT before you can pick it up.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I think you are obliged to pay the VAT from CI purchases, but you probably would have to (at your discretion) declare this. If the parcel gets picked up, you may have to pay the VAT before you can pick it up.
I believe you would have to pay the VAT IF the value of the goods warranted it. But look, a £50 bundle of CDs or batteries, DVDs, and other gear would only render a tax bill of £10 and it's really not worth the cost of billing and collecting it. The mistake was made over 40 years ago, Government has to live with it.
but they are part of the Customs Territory of the EU.
Whatever that means, but I didn't know that. Knew about Gibraltar because I used to ship goods out there. IOM was always strange, like the people with three legs (not that one either!). :D

Hugh Bailey 2

Reaction score
Hm - I think that may be a NO from the VAT man>

You pay VAT regardless of the value / cause unless it was a charity etc.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh my, Brits (natural heirs to everything, irrespective of right) feeling hard done by and sorry for themselves - again.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Only because we feel s-o-o-o superior (still ruling the waves but without the necessary to do it etc), Lordy ... begging being so demeaning and un-British and all that...

"I want (and deserve) that reel, the one I lust for because I don't have a life, NOW!"

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Whatever that means, but I didn't know that. Knew about Gibraltar because I used to ship goods out there. IOM was always strange, like the people with three legs (not that one either!). :D

It means all sorts of things but so far as anybody in the EU is concerned it means that anything imported from anywhere outside the Customs Territory of the EU is liable to customs duty as well as VAT.

So....your bargain reel from the US is liable to duty which is normally a %age based on the CIF value [Cost plus Insurance plus Freight] and then VAT is liable on the CIF value plus the duty.

Eg £50 reel + £10 freight = CIF value of £60 . Duty @ [say] 10% = £6.

Vat @ 20 % on £66 = £13.20. Total import duties [Vat is a duty] = £19.20

The Post Office will charge you a handling fee of around £8 so your £60 reel
is now costing you around £87.20.

Doesn't look such a bargain now does it? Customs Duties are primarily trade protection measures not revenue raisers. In trade terms the import VAT is both payable & recoverable [net nil] but not the duty. The private importer cops the lot.

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
Just think yourselves lucky that you not over here .
The Wifes car went Kapput and needed a certain part .I phoned a ford main agent and they quoted me 500 yo yos for the part (approx £400).They said they would have to order it from Germany and will take about a week .And they would also need a 20% deposit before ordering it .
Phoned a Main Agent in the North they quoted me Approx £200 inc vat (cannot remember exactly).It was a couple of years ago when we had the bad snow .The guy said you guessed it they do not carry them in stock but will it will take 2 to 3 days to come over from Germany. I asked him what the roads were like and he replied bad .As I do not have a credit card (Government levy on cards over here ) how we could get around a deposit would he take a money order etc .He replied not to worry you need the part so we will order it anyway .Gave him my details . And recieved a phone call 3 days later to say it was in .even offered to courier it down to me for 1 tenner,untill I reminded him of the payment situation .

The Garages in question are both about 50 miles away from me one in the south the other in the North.

There are far to many things that I could list . We tend to come over by car every now and again and stock up .even silly things like Ibuprofen 5+ yos yos a packet here a quid in the UK .