Books

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
welcome to the forum mate,
A really good selection of books can be found on the GIFTS 4 ANGLERS website (not just carp books!) they have a huge selection of books (and DVDs) and I am sure you will find something to tickle your fancy. Oh, Amazon have a good selection too.
I could not advise on a general ''river'' book as I tend to go for the species guides.
anyway, good luck and I hope you find what your looking for, I am sure there will be someone on here that will help you.

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Welcome ITS,its not quite so easy,for as Mark says,target species have to be taken into account,also your intended approach needs to be considered,ie if you intend the match angling type trotting or feeder attack,or the specimen anglers way,it would be a very large collection of books to show all aspects,it may be better to put a search on FM for say 'chub fishing' and scan the results,even open a thread asking others favourite techniques,if you could bear sift through it all,lol,all the best on your search,Alan.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There are plenty of useful books but choosing the one that suits what you are after isn't easy. One cheap way to find out more without spending anything is to visit a decent public library - my local one has 20 fishing books and you may find a search facility for other libraries in the same area. They will probably have some general books by the likes of John Wilson or John Bailey and these might help. When you have more idea on the sort of help you need then you can spend the money.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The trouble with that is since the advent of ebay etc those bargains very rarely appear, everyone's an expert these days and the charity shops sift with an ever finer sieve, if you were to add up the hours spent looking at tat and give yourself an hourly rate of a couple of pounds you would be better off going straight to a dealer or doing an online search.

watatoad

Reaction score
I will go old fashioned and say the Mr. Crabtree series of books, as this series got a couple of generations of anglers going and doing well, basic, simple and easily understood and read, clear and concise.

intheshed

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply lads.

---------- Post added at 06:13 ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 ----------

Welcome ITS,its not quite so easy,for as Mark says,target species have to be taken into account,also your intended approach needs to be considered,ie if you intend the match angling type trotting or feeder attack,or the specimen anglers way,it would be a very large collection of books to show all aspects,it may be better to put a search on FM for say 'chub fishing' and scan the results,even open a thread asking others favourite techniques,if you could bear sift through it all,lol,all the best on your search,Alan.

Yeah as you say it's hard work looking at thread after thread, ihave read fair few articals on FM and pick up some very good tips.

As for target species, i will be fishing for what comes along while learning different techniques on how to approach the river, I'll be starting off learning trotting with a centerpin and also feeder fishing methods.

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Cheers for the reply lads.

---------- Post added at 06:13 ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 ----------

Yeah as you say it's hard work looking at thread after thread, ihave read fair few articals on FM and pick up some very good tips.

As for target species, i will be fishing for what comes along while learning different techniques on how to approach the river, I'll be starting off learning trotting with a centerpin and also feeder fishing methods.

Wallis cast then mate,get it on the net or FM,its the best way,then practice makes perfect,feeder fishing is a different ball game as there are many different ways to fish it,ie target species,river choice and baits used,still...after you've learnt it,they'll move the goalposts again,enjoy.;)

mick b

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

River Fishing by Len Arbury(?) is a good starter and low cost if you don't want 'book shelf' condition.

An free running centrepin is a must, as is a reel line that floats.
Use 5or6lb b.s. reel line and 2.5-3lb for your hook lengths, but scale up if there are barbel in your river.

Remember that river currents are linear, there is (usually) less current the deeper you go.

Go walkies downstream with your rod, net and minimal tackle and try every nearbank 'run' to get the hang of how to line comes off your reel and the float goes down, line,float and bait control is what your after.
Don't try and catch fish, just feed each run, strike at every drop of the float and learn what is a bite from a fish, minnow or weed, then fish the same swims on your way back upstream.
You will catch fish because every newbie does, why I don't know, but they do:confused:
Don't be afraid to ask anyone you meet for advice if they seem to know what they are doing.
Forget Wallis casting :eek:mg: for the first few months or until you see someone actually using this cast, then sit and watch, then ask how.

Lastly, where are you based?

intheshed

Reaction score
Cheers mick.

I picked up a okumma Sheffield pin and thinking off loading it with drennan float fish line in 4lb and fishing 3lb bottom? I see you recommend a higher bs line 5/6lb and higher. I'll only be fishing for bits while as you say learning technique/control and I though 4lb would be adequate.

I have read up on the net a bit regarding the wallis cast and get the logistics off the cast and tbh it doesn't look the hard. (lol famous last words:D).

I'm based on the Wirral so closet river is the dee, I think dee angling association own the stretches closest to me so I will have a look see what I find out.

Roll on 16th:)

A

alan whittington

Cheers mick.

I picked up a okumma Sheffield pin and thinking off loading it with drennan float fish line in 4lb and fishing 3lb bottom? I see you recommend a higher bs line 5/6lb and higher. I'll only be fishing for bits while as you say learning technique/control and I though 4lb would be adequate.

I have read up on the net a bit regarding the wallis cast and get the logistics off the cast and tbh it doesn't look the hard. (lol famous last words:D).

I'm based on the Wirral so closet river is the dee, I think dee angling association own the stretches closest to me so I will have a look see what I find out.

Roll on 16th:)

Mate the 'Wallis' cast isnt that hard,but christ you'll make a plonker of yourself if you dont practice a fair bit before you fish,even then you'll look decidedly average compared to many.;)

intheshed

Reaction score
Mate the 'Wallis' cast isnt that hard,but christ you'll make a plonker of yourself if you dont practice a fair bit before you fish,even then you'll look decidedly average compared to many.;)

To be honest alan i think i'll take my chances on the bank with looking a plonker, i don't go fishing to look cool and even if there are any anglers around they might know i'm a beginner and show me the ropes.

my alternative? get in the back garden and have the people i live by thinking, christ this guys a plonker.

A

alan whittington

To be honest alan i think i'll take my chances on the bank with looking a plonker, i don't go fishing to look cool and even if there are any anglers around they might know i'm a beginner and show me the ropes.

my alternative? get in the back garden and have the people i live by thinking, christ this guys a plonker.

I didnt mean it quite that way,if you end up in tangles its you that feel a plonker and possibly wish you hadnt partaken,one word of advice,i found it useful to use a lead about 0.75-1oz,rather than a float,the weight gives leverage when pulling your left hand if your right handed,similar to fly casting double haul but slower and smoother,ive seen odd anglers take to the cast easily,others(like me)had to try it a few times before something clicks,all the best.

mick b

Reaction score
intheshed, the book is by Len Head - 9.99 on flaebay at the mo.

One reason to practice the Wallis off the river is that if you wrap up more than a few times you will not be forced to fish with only 15-20yards of line for the rest of the day!!
Like Alan says some people do it first try others take a few ??? more.
I couldn't do it until I changed to a through action rod.

NB most 'pinners only spool 50-60m to avoid the line digging-in.

FYI my end set-up for 6-9ft medium paced swims is:- 4.5gm Avon with 3 rubbers, with mini (drennan) float stop under - down to, mini float stop, 4gm in-line olivette, mini float stop under, size 24 (Preston match) swivel, 1.5-3ft hook length with single BB shot lightly pinched on.
The olivette stays ontop of the swivel (most of the time) and the shot is moved up or down according to the presentation required.
The swivel stops the hookbait spinning on retreive and will not break under 25lb load (I've test them).
If you can afford it carbide beads can be substituted for the olivette.