River Vyrnwy fishing Rights

W

Wayne Peter

Hi all, I live in a village called Llansantffraid in Powys Mid Wales (famed by the total network solutions football club who used to play there) .It is situated on the River Vyrnwy, now I have managed to establish who has fishing rights on a number of private stretches out of the village. But where can I find out who if anybody holds the rights for the stretch running directly through the village, or any other local stretches at that matter. Thanks in advance. Wayne

C

Colin North, the one and only

At one time, local water authorities may well have held the information that you are looking for. However, now that there are only National RodLicences, I don't know whether the Envirnment Agency might still maintain something similar. Might be worth a try.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I think Warrington Anglers used to have a stretch at Llansantffraid

W

Wayne Peter

Yes someone had mentioned those to me. Bit steap that really having to pay a scousers money to fish a river virtually 100yds from my house,and in a place I grew up in.I find that wrong to be honest. But thats just my opinion.Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for the info though, I will look into them

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Wayne they have some stretches of the severn in your area also,plus loads of other waters .

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Be careful though Wayne, if our Baz. a WAA bailiff, gets a sniff of a bit of guesting he will be downthere after you.

May be worth a little fish though to see if any one takes much exception.

lobworm

Reaction score
1.Scousers arefrom Liverpool

2. Those angling clubs probably pay rent to the landowner, yet you begrudge paying because the river is close to you?

W

Wayne Peter

No No I would never do that, alwayshave permits and adhere to licences codes etc,just dont agree with the fact that clubs can own stretches of River 70 miles away from where they are located. I suppose I still see it as it was in Newtown on the severn that all the stretch through the town , is free water . Used to fish it as a youngster.

I have heard it was the river Cain (tributory to the Vyrnwy) just out of the village of llansantffraid that the Warrington Boys had dabs in. But cant seem to find any info on the actual stretch of the river running directly through the village. There is a couple of caravan parks further down stream I know hold rights on their stretches but just seem to find anything on the village banks.

Thing is there is a public footpath along it, Which tells me it isnt private so would that be the case for fishing.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nothing wrong with clubs owning stretches away from their base but it is annoying if they have closed memberships which i do not think WAA have.

Whoever owns the stretch should howver at least sign it properlyso the local people know who have the rights and who to approach.

W

Wayne Peter

Lobworm in responce , I dont begrudge paying anyone to fish its just the pricipal of people owning the fishing rights of stretches of river they are situated miles and miles from and probably cant even pronounce . If its a club 75miles away I have to pay, to fish a river I live less than 100yds from then so be it, and I will do so.I would not illegally fish. Its the principal of ownership I dont agree with but as I said it is only my opinion so sorry if you found it a little off putting I do appologise.

peter lawler

Reaction score
hi wayne, try asking at that tackle shop in oswestry or try kingfisher in shrewsbury. there geared up for game fishing in the area.good look mate. maybe prince albert club might have some water ?. as they got atcham on the 7 and finished some great barbel swims.gripe.

T

teecee

Wayne-This is a complete guess but the Wye/Usk Foundation(website is the same name)seem to have dozens of stretches of water(over 100km of trout/salmon/grayling/coarse fishing)throughout Wales on rivers such as the Lugg/Irfon/Ithon available with most on a ticket of some sort.

I imagine your river flows into one of the main rivers so they may be able to give you some info.I have never used them but the still send regular updates on water conditions and catches etc. via email and seem to be a worthwhile body.

They will send you a small booklet called 'The Wye and Usk Foundation PASSPORT'(80pages)which gives very decent info!!

Hope this helps you.........

Will Smith

Reaction score
If you go on warringtons web site they have the water your on about plus the banwy the perry the cain and a lot more in your area. Thats if the site is up to date. I used to fish this area in the 70,s when the BICC had the bit that goes thru the village. And other liverpool clubs had stretch,s in the area. That was in the days when we would all go on a coach.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Wayne if there are no signs either stating private fishing or private land it seems reasonable to assume that its free fishing. Personally I'd just turn up and start fishing.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Your a bad lad Elwin!.

So you have just been turning up on the Ganges and pretending you haven't seen the Delhi AC signs?.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Ha ha well its a different story altogether in India. No signs anywhere but if you fish where you shouldn't, you cop for it big style!

Gordon Westlake

Reaction score
Hi Wayn Peter. I also live in llansantffraid and had problems finding who ownes the rightsto fish. Generally I have found that the local farmers will let you fish for a small fee each time, usually about £3-00. I have fished on Siths farm, he controlls the fishing from llansantffraid bridge to the Vernwy caravan park, but it is quite a walk from the farm to what Ithink is the best spot, just below the confluence with the Tannet. A word of caution however. A freind of mine in the MAA was fishing the Vyrnwy at Meifod in November and was pulled by the baliff NRA he was fishing for chub with 5lb main line and 16 hook th 2.5lb link. trotting a worm under the near bank. They cautiond him and are taking him to court because worms, prawns &spinnersare against the law at this time of the year on all salmon waters and tributarys of the same in order to protect the sport, I must admit I did not know that nore did the secratary of the MAA. Can you imagin landing a salmon on that tackle? in your dreams!.