method feeding

T

Tom Butler

I have been fishing for about 2 years and i always find method feeding the hardest.I have been told that if the tip of my rod bends i should strike and others say that i should wait for the rod to just go. if any one can give me more advice please e-mail me.

C

Carp Angler

I would suggest the worst thing in the world to do when fishing 'the method' is to watch the tip.
The whole idea of this style of fishing is to create a competitive feeding situation in a very small area. This will lead to fish grabbing at the feeder to dislodge the bait(that's why the mix needs to be very stiff) causing violent rod tip action. When a carp eventually grabs the bait it should hook itself and then you should see the indicators fly. My advise would be to not watch the tips as this can cause you to become agitated and end up striking prematurely.

C

Carp Angler

Tom, keep us informed on how many you catch....we're always interested.

K

Kevan Garrett

Carp Angler,
The best advice i`ve heard in ages.The amount of people who do not wait long enough before the strike is enormous.The weight,and the use of a short hook lenght will do the job for you.Believe me Tom,you will know when the carp has hooked itself,so sit back,chill out,and wait for your reels to burst into action.
Kevan.

C

Carp Angler

New article for the site coming soon about groundbait and fishing the method................

P

peter webber

RE: carp angler
you say there is going to be a article on the method and groundbait. please let me know about this as i have been using this method for some time now and have some tips to share with you and the readers that might be of intrest.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Easier maybe is to click on 'search' type in carp column, and click the search button. Rik's Method article is the middle one of the three listed.

P

peter webber

Thanks to carp angler / graham, i have looked at the article "THE MATHOD".
I have been using the METHOD for over 3 years now and with great success, winning 5 of 7 comps on it last year with my club.
The mix that i use is :
2x VAN DEN EYNDE method mix (I perfer the red mix).
1 bag brown crumb.
crushed trout pellets.
baby milk powder.
sweetcorn.
hemp.
Sensas pellets.
I mix this all up about 5 days before going fishing and place in a bucket with a lid. this gives it time to start fermenting which i find helps.mix it on the dry side as it will sweat in the bucket.In the winter i have used this but i sieve the van dan method mix taking the large bits of food out and use crushed hemp and sweetcorn.
If anyone trys this mix please let me know how you get on.

C

Carp Angler

Thanks for the input Peter,
What quantities of pellets, hemp etc are you using?
How do you pack the feed?
Feeder type etc...
Hookbaits?
Loosefeed?

I showed Andy my method feed on Yateley on Thursday,
reeled the feeder in after 14 hours in the water and the feed was still compacted onto it.
Picked the feed off and threw it in the edge and the oil released was fantastic.

Didn't catch bugger all, but that wasn't the baits fault.

P

peter webber

Hi Carp angler

RE: My last note i use an inline method feeder mane i forget (black/green).
Hook baits i use are mainly meet/paste as these work very well on my local lakes.
I don't use loose feed as such apart from what i put into the mix.
I pack the feeder so that it will stay on for long periods (not that i need to at one lake i know).
The qoantities that i missed are:
Sensas pellets-1/2 bag.
Hemp-2x cups(i cook my hemp in a flask).
Crushed pellets-1/2lb.

You say that after 14 hours you reeled your feeder in , your groundbait was still on and when you picked it of and threw it in the water the oil then released.
Could it be that is why you ended up fishless, the oil was not releasing out a sent trail?
Anyway better luck next trip, have a go with my mix it might just work for you.
Great web site.
pete

C

Carp Angler

The oil release is not in one go as with a glug, it seeps out constantly from the mix.
And is even more disturbed as the fish nose it.

On the loosefeed front, do you not ball any of the mix in or do you just feed whats on the feeder?

P

peter webber

To carp angler.
The waters that i fish near me you don't need to ball in, what is on the feeder is enough to get the fish feeding,eg:
Horsham lake, snodland,kent. This is a small lake of about 1-2 acres and is stocked with carp (mostly commons),tench
and silver fish.The carp are not very big here aveg 3lbs,there is alest 1 over 23lbs but not landed oftern.
I have used this method here and can catch 30+ fish with no probs.
This is while others are watching bite less, its sad that only once in a blue moon will anyone come round and ask what i am catching on.I have help all that ask even giving away bait ect so they can catch fish too.Most people just sit there and watch or go home feed up WHY?
If someone is baging up and im fishless i'll allways be first in the queue to find out why.
All the best
Pete

C

Carp Angler

Unfortunately the mentality of some anglers is that they think they know best and are too proud to ask for advise.
This is where the 'net' is so valuable, people can retain their anonimty and their local standing, but still receive advise.
I'm on a constant learning curve.
You don't have to use everyones ideas, but they can be filed away and incorperated at a later date.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The wisest anglers are those who realise that every other angler knows something they don't know. It may not be much, but if they're too arrogant to accept that then they're all the poorer for it.

It's the constant wondering and learning about fishing that makes it so facinating and interesting, and when someone reaches the conclusion they have nothing more to learn then that fascination and interest are out the window.

P

peter webber

Carp angler/graham

Wise words indeed, I have been fishing for 20 yrs and still class my self as a novice.
I try/hope to learn something new (big or small) every time I go fishing or pick up a fishing mag, as I think we all do.
And what better way to do this (apart from the bankside) then here at fishingmagic.

P

peter webber

CARP ANGLER.
No unfortunately im not (but if the price is right)lol.